Fish n chips. Do you have any type of sauce on them??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
I recently discovered that Root Beer in Canada is almost the same as Dandelion and Burdock.... and that either with a nice robust dark rum is pretty damn nice.

see also "Sarsi" in south east Asia and surrounds...

And Sarsaparilla (which I presume is what "Sarsi" is ) is also almost exactly the same as D&B in taste. We often use Sarsaparilla flavour (sold in Tesco under the "foreign" items area) in our Sodastream.

The Wikipedia article on Dandelion And Burdock mentions both of those as similar tastes.

Dadam

Über Member
Takeaway eaten at home, salt, vinegar and curry sauce. Or a dollop of mayo if no curry sauce available.
Sit down meal, tartare and a lemon wedge on the fish.
Eaten outside from the paper, S&V only!

Peas are an abomination, mushy ones even more so.
This. A thousand times this! As a baby I spat peas out but ate other veg. Even the smell of peas cooking makes me nauseous.

DRM

Guru
Rarely ever really enjoy fish and chips anymore. I'm not sure if it's the oil they use nowadays but it just doesn't do it for me anymore..unless we have haddock.

But, eating on the fly..probably curry sauce , tomato at a push
Eating at home or in a restaurant, tartar sauce without question.

Fish & Chips should never, ever, ever be cooked in oil, beef dripping only, any chippy that fries in oil deserves to have Chris Rea’s Turdis fly over and backfire violently and raze the place to the ground :okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
Salt and sauce in Edinburgh (which is the only place I've ever seen it). Otherwise just salt and vinegar.

I like the chippy at Beamish which doesn't f*ck about with anything other than fish and chips (cooked in beef dripping), salt and vinegar. The new one that's opened there may have more frivolities, but I've not investigated it yet.

Baldy

Veteran
There's an award winning chippy on the harbour of a Fife coastal village, expensive and small helpings, and IMHO mediocre at best. Around the corner up a back street is a much better shop, lovely chips and straight out of the sea fresh fish. The press rave on about the one on the harbour but never mention the other one.
Anyway as to the original question, tomato ketchup or mayonnaise on the chips, malt vinegar on the fish. Have to avoid salt doctors orders.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Growing up in Norwich I always preferred plaice to cod, is plaice available any more?

Yep but more expensive cos of how it's caught, it doesn't show up much in trawls but is 'line caught'. As a youth I watched a guy beach fishing off the marshes at Stiffkey* (pronounced Stewkey) Enormous fishing rod (30' maybe) and a big weight with 5-6 hooks on little side-arms and baited with worm freshly dug from the sand. this was then cast out as far as possible (1/4 mile) just as the tide was turning and the Plaice came out of the sand to feed. The guy caught 6-8 before having to make a quick retreat from the beach and across the marshes as the tide rose.
Good spot for gathering Samphire too, now a 'posh' food it was a staple for the locals in earlier times.

* About 4 miles south of 'Wells Next The Sea' also famous for the Stewkey Blues Cockle.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've always just chosen cod because it's among the cheapest around here. I do like haddock but I find the skin a bit too fishy. I also had pollack once and it was really nice, I always thought it was the Cods cheaper brother but now it's either the same price or more expensive

vickster

Legendary Member
Fish & Chips should never, ever, ever be cooked in oil, beef dripping only, any chippy that fries in oil deserves to have Chris Rea’s Turdis fly over and backfire violently and raze the place to the ground :okay:

Not for me as I eat fish (and ships) but not meat...so anything in beef dripping is disgusting and avoided! (taste is a main reason why I don't eat meat not just ethics)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not for me as I eat fish (and ships) but not meat...so anything in beef dripping is disgusting and avoided! (taste is a main reason why I don't eat meat not just ethics)

It's not 'dripping' as such but Lard they cook em in (beef dripping just sounds posher) for me I'd sooner have chips cooked in Sunflower Oil, fish too. But putins escapades into the largest producer of Sunflowers has affected the supply badly.

Alex321

Guru
It's not 'dripping' as such but Lard they cook em in (beef dripping just sounds posher) for me I'd sooner have chips cooked in Sunflower Oil, fish too. But putins escapades into the largest producer of Sunflowers has affected the supply badly.

It would be illegal to call it beef dripping if it was lard, since they are different things - beef dripping comes from cows, while lard comes from pigs.

Top Bottom