Fish n chips. Do you have any type of sauce on them??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
No I mean the Chippy uses Lard to cook with, when did you last go into a shop that told you what they cooked the Chips in.

There was a sign up in Superfish in Ashtead that the chips are cooked in animal fat (can’t recall specifics). Not sure if the rest of the chain locally do similar, sad times if so!
Darn they do use beef dripping, says right at the bottom here! Never noticed the taste on F&C from the Cheam branch
https://superfishuk.co.uk/allergy-information/

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
It's not 'dripping' as such but Lard they cook em in (beef dripping just sounds posher) for me I'd sooner have chips cooked in Sunflower Oil, fish too. But putins escapades into the largest producer of Sunflowers has affected the supply badly.

I don't think so!

Lard is pig fat

GgtbQGgh2-9gLkSkBQ-nDHetNDjw9w5N4XZvd81qg&usqp=CAc.jpg

Being married to a chef, whenever we have fish, I'm spoiled with various different sauces etc.

However, the odd occasion when we have fish and chips from the chippy, then just salt and vinegar if eating out the paper, or, if taken home, then, of course, HP sauce for the chips, none of that sissy ketchup stuff (my wife just rolls her eyes).

lazybloke

Priest of the cult of Chris Rea
Tomato Sauce, I don't know anybody who calls it Ketchup, maybe its a Yorkshire or Northern thing.

Lots of Tomato sauces aren't ketchup, and some ketchups aren't tomato.

If i search the back of that shelf in the fridge, i might find some other ketchups: carrot, mango, mushroom. Actually, they'll be so old, they'll all have 'mushrooms'.

Alex321

Guru
Tomato Sauce, I don't know anybody who calls it Ketchup, maybe its a Yorkshire or Northern thing.

I don't know anybody who would call it Tomato sauce, and I'm not Northern (my parents were, but I have lived in Wales for 47 years).

There are other sauces we have in the house which are tomato based (mostly the jar type designed for use with pasta), and those we call tomato sauce. We do have a bottle of tomato ketchup in the fridge, and one of HP sauce, but neither gets used anywhere near as often as once a month.

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't know anybody who would call it Tomato sauce, and I'm not Northern (my parents were, but I have lived in Wales for 47 years).

There are other sauces we have in the house which are tomato based (mostly the jar type designed for use with pasta), and those we call tomato sauce. We do have a bottle of tomato ketchup in the fridge, and one of HP sauce, but neither gets used anywhere near as often as once a month.

Sugar is the main component that differentiates tomato ketchup and tomato sauce. Tomato sauce is often made with only tomatoes, seasonings, onion, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Ketchup, on the other hand, typically has additional sugar, which contributes to its sweeter flavour.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Reason for asking is, I went to a chippy yesterday (1st time in over 12 months) and on their 'specials' board was fish, chips plus any 2 sauces.
Got me thinking/wondering what 'goes' with fish n chips
The only thing I have on mine is salt and vinegar. Maybe Tartare sauce if its a sit down meal.

No sauce on mine. Incidentally I’ll be having them tonight.

Top Bottom