EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Journey out started well.

Hungry Horse pubs (not all, only a few) provide plenty of wonderful 22kW type 2 chargers at their pubs. Better that patrons stay for a while for a good meal than get something quicker and disappear after a drink. Customer feedback however doesn't allow for the "I'm only here for the electricity" option. Found one on the outskirts of Cambridge.

Met up with a friend in Ipswich, and got chatting. Time was passing quickly, and realised that I should have set off to Harwich 1/2 hr ago. First charger on the halfpenny pier wouldn't connect, and got slightly lost looking for option 2, which meant that I didn't get as much electricity on-board as I wanted. But got enough.

Netherlands was more interesting. Most of the type 2 chargers are 11kW and require an RFD card, which I didn't have. The plan to stop at the supermarket and charge didn't go as well as I had hoped, as 1 charger required RFD, and one didn't work with my credit or debit cards. Eventually found one that did, but needed a good time to get enough charge in to reach our destination, and was delayed a bit.

At the site, found the chargers easily in the adjacent hotel car park and worked happily from an app. Strangely, you bought the charge before you started, so had to work out how much you needed rather than waiting and unplugging. There was another charger in the sports centre car park, which I was going to use on the last night, but was cordoned off as it was part of the next day's race circuit.

Last edited:

BrumJim

The journey back, on the other hand....

BrumJim

Used the ChargeMap App and found a charger just outside Rotterdam that would charge through an app, at a lovely 22kW. And adjacent to a shopping centre where we could probably get supper.

Only of all the chargers on the forecourt (when I found it), the one I wanted was "Out of Service". Not much time and needed the 22kW, but found another 14 miles away. Only I had 12 miles of battery available. So drove down the motorway at 40 mile/h, upsetting various lorry drivers, so I could guarantee to get there (failure wasn't an option). Made it with the battery range stating "--". But not in full tortoise mode.

After various panics with apps, credit and debit cards, and plugging in at the right moment (if you connect before the charge has been paid, it thinks that the charger is already occupied and in use) finally got charging. Now fast running out of time (took 20 minutes to get the charge going), and haven't had any food since lunch. Last check in for the ferry was 21:15, and we were still 45 minutes away.

Charger was on a petrol station forecourt. And had a shop. But nothing that the boy was prepared to eat. And was on a junction with nothing immediately nearby. Fortunately the boy was alert, and used his phone to find food outlets. McDonalds nearby. Normally I wouldn't darken the door of such a place, but it was our only option. Took a while to walk there, as we had to go a bit further up the road to cross the dyke / stream, and then come back. And it took them 15 minutes to prepare and serve Mcnuggets and chips. By which point we both realised that we needed to run back to the car to get there in time. 10 minutes later we were back at the car, with just enough charge in it to make it to the ferry (9 miles of battery when we got there) and just enough time too (arrived 21:14, having broken a few speed limits on the way).

Boarded the ferry and gave the boy a big hug of relief for the fact we made it. Congratulated him on not worrying. He said he did. A lot. But despite running things right to the wire, neither of us paniced.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Which meant a lot of time at Harwich charging the car up for the return journey. There isn't a lot to do in Harwich at 07:30 in the morning. Not convinced there is much more later on in the day, but the lifeboat museum, RNLI shop, Mayflower exhibition and Harwich museum were all closed until 10:00 or later.

But there was a mobile van on the sea front selling teas, coffees, snacks, etc, who were happy for me to buy a tea on a credit card (all GBP in a suitcase at the bottom of the car boot). So I had a tea whilst we played one of the games we brought with us on the sea front. Or would have done, if the rains hadn't started to fall. So we decamped back to the car.

Stopped at another Hungry Horse pub on the way back for some more 22kW of lovely electricity, and charged enough to get home.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Summary:

Bad things:
Left the event before the final presentations. If my boy had been top 10 in GC (credible, without the mechanical failures) he would have been part of that. And was a bit rude not being their for his team mate and others.

No RFD card.

Good things?
We made it there and back without running out of energy and missing ferries.

Would I do it again? Better planning, RFD card, and having an extra day would have helped. Ideally having a vehicle more suited would be better, but that was a decision I made a couple of years ago before I even knew that Assen was a thing.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
You did well, like you already know, it was the particular vehicle was the issue.

I like certain EVs , but the overall package for me keeps with Tesla, not just the car

'Lightness = less power required = less battery capacity theory' needed
This car Hydrogen power-cell is very reminscent of the Morgan LifeCar, but the Morgan is infinitely more wonderful to look at

I think this chappie might have been involved in that?

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/riversimple-rasa-hydrogen-car-wants-save-world

EDIT; Sunday 11th @ 10:46
Yes, it is the same Engineer (& Wikipedia also name 'Riversimple' company as being involved)
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/in-depth/morgans-clean-break

Last edited:

albion

Guru
https://sienzaenergy.com/technology/

Sounds interesting, it being far easier to implement than a maybe similar graphene solution.
1C charging only but looks, long term, a great safer boost, especially for ebikes.

Last edited:

Gillstay

Veteran
'Lightness = less power required = less battery capacity theory' needed
This car Hydrogen power-cell is very reminscent of the Morgan LifeCar, but the Morgan is infinitely more wonderful to look at

I think this chappie might have been involved in that?

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/riversimple-rasa-hydrogen-car-wants-save-world

EDIT; Sunday 11th @ 10:46
Yes, it is the same Engineer (& Wikipedia also name 'Riversimple' company as being involved)
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/in-depth/morgans-clean-break

Yep, Hugo Spowers has worked on that as well. His plan with River simple has great merit in my eyes.

i always wonder about the roofs of big factories/warehouses as wasted potential
Common enough around here, these are within 5 miles
1724081663217.png

Timber frame housing manufacturer
1724081762519.png

Amazon Fulfilment Centre
1724081887234.png

New school campus

I agree re charging at home.
I did a fuel comparison of petrol vs electric which came out at £1800 vs £220 per year based on our current tariff and ignores any “free” solar.

Charging away from home need to be a “how many kWh do I need to get me there?” rather than the “fill up” mentality I and many others have with fuel.

My research continues….

89p a kw .... 0.89 x 80 = £71 zero to full in my i4.
My old 535d touring cost me way less, still miss it.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I've been given the chance to choose an EV for my use as a company car, for me to have as a Benefit In Kind. Because the BiK tax rate is just 2% at the moment, that means the annual cost to me (as a 20% taxpayer) for a car with a £35,000 P11D value (list price) would be just £140, increasing to £350 by 2028. We have 22kW chargers at the office where I work on Mondays and Tuesdays, which would be free for me to use. There'd be no VED, insurance, servicing costs or repairs to pay... so I'm not quite sure whether there's a snag!

My Director is keen to get something with a 250-300 mile nominal range (like a long-range MG4, a BYD Atto 3 or a Hyundai Kona) so most of the time I'd do all my charging at work, but we'd also get a charger installed at home for topping-up and extra use at weekends, or when I need to do site visits further afield and work charging won't get me through the week.

Test-driving a BYD and an MG4 this weekend...

Top Bottom