EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I find motorway driving to be the least economical. Constant high speed with no ability to recover anything via the brakes. You can almost see the numbers dropping before your eyes. Pottering around town is best for me.
Absolutely, but some cars are definitely better than others both due to battery capacity and aerodynamics. I have no issue getting to the Birmingham gigahub in the ID4 from Surrey travelling at motorway speeds with a decent amount left in the tank, but for the Leaf it's touch and go, 60mph driving ideally. On paper the ID4 has about 250miles and the leaf 150. The distance to the hub is about 90 miles.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Sounds like a plan. It looks like there are a few chargers in the port area at Harwich.

Will also need to charge between Hook of Holland and Assen. Since we need food, will probably stop at a Jumbo or Lidl on the way, and charge there.

Would go via UAE, but a bit of a detour. And UNO-X too, but they only serve petrol.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If air resistance were not exponential we would not get terminal velocity.

Is, I'm afraid, incorrect.

The formula:

1000007407.jpg

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

Note the velocity squared term, no exponential term.

This applies at high Reynolds numbers, which will be the case for a car due to dimensions and speed.

I think you're meaning "non- linear" rather than "exponential".

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I think you're meaning "non- linear" rather than "exponential".
Nope. GCSE Physics:-
https://www.tutorchase.com/answers/ib/physics/how-does-air-resistance-impact-a-falling-object
The effect of air resistance is also dependent on the speed of the falling object. At low speeds, the air resistance is proportional to the speed. However, as the speed increases, the air resistance increases exponentially. This is why objects falling from a great height, such as skydivers, reach a terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is the constant maximum speed that a freely falling object eventually reaches when the resistance of the medium through which it is falling prevents further acceleration.
ALso:-

When taking into account other factors, this relationship becomes FD=1/2 CρAv(squared). where C is the drag coefficient, A is the area of the object facing the fluid, and ρ is the density of the fluid. (Recall that density is mass per unit volume.) This equation can also be written in a more generalized fashion as FD = bv2, where b is a constant equivalent to 0.5CρA. We have set the exponent n for these equations as 2 because, when an object is moving at high velocity through air, the magnitude of the drag force is proportional to the square of the speed. As we shall see in a few pages on fluid dynamics, for small particles moving at low speeds in a fluid, the exponent n is equal to 1.

figbat

Slippery scientist
This appears to be an argument of semantics. In its pure mathematical form, "exponential" has a specific meaning that isn't satisfied by equations for drag (the exponent is constant). In its informal form, "exponential" is used to mean non-linear, usually in an increasing way.

With freefall there comes an equilibrium between drag force and acceleration due to gravity; terminal velocity is as much a function of g as it is drag. With a vehicle the acceleration is down to applied power, so with unlimited power the speed will continue to increase, with drag continuing to increasing with the square of speed. The equilibrium is reach when the applied force matches the drag from aerodynamics and friction.

Top Bottom