EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Definitely at those prices!

I’m looking to change my car soon and still cannot decide between going electric or sticking with petrol and perhaps having one last blast before I commit to Electric!

Perhaps having a hybrid might be a good halfway house but still undecided.

Interestingly, when you look at the guaranteed future values of electric cars compared to combustion, the finance companies are being very cautious on electric. Many examples are showing 60%+ drop in value over three years compared to 45 to 50% for ICE cars.

I'm in a similar place to you, most likely looking to change car in the next 12-18 months.
Don't think a full electric is right for me just now, but maybe in a few years time.
Not sure I fancy a hybrid as that seems a bit pointless, it's either stick with petrol or wait and see what happens with the next generation of electric.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Definitely at those prices!
I’m looking to change my car soon and still cannot decide between going electric or sticking with petrol and perhaps having one last blast before I commit to Electric!

Just remember that you use supercharge prices very rarely. I've had an EV since October 2022 and have used a supercharger on about six trips in two years.
The vast majority of the time I get 7p per kwh. So yes 79p is expensive but I'd usually only put in £40 of electrons on a supercharger. So once in a while I pay petrol like prices.

Plus quite often I can get a supercharger discounted price via Electroverse or VW Connect (or whatever it's called today).

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Managed a round trip up to Blair Atholl this weekend . Managed no bother no sweating about range . Was only 130-140 mile round trip . Topped up when we got back .
However again if I was relying on public charging I’d still think twice about an EV .

CXRAndy

Guru
Those thinking of going hybrid to experiment before committing to full EV. Re cost.

You will lose thousands in value off your hybrid by taking two steps to full EV adoption. Factor that cost into your running costs of an EV.

We as a family have over 250,000 miles of full EVs usage. We rarely use superchargers. This our main use EV charge stats for the year. I think we have done over 25000 miles this year- need to check MOT history
1000013751.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
if you can’t charge at home I don’t personally think it’s worth it re cost . Otherwise yes it cheap as chips just now . Just been reading that our cheap CPS destination chargers around here are going from 15p a unit upto 40p !

Buck

Guru
I agree re charging at home.
I did a fuel comparison of petrol vs electric which came out at £1800 vs £220 per year based on our current tariff and ignores any “free” solar.

Charging away from home need to be a “how many kWh do I need to get me there?” rather than the “fill up” mentality I and many others have with fuel.

My research continues….

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I agree re charging at home.
I did a fuel comparison of petrol vs electric which came out at £1800 vs £220 per year based on our current tariff and ignores any “free” solar.

Charging away from home need to be a “how many kWh do I need to get me there?” rather than the “fill up” mentality I and many others have with fuel.

My research continues….

Still expensive and if you only charge what you need , you’re gonna be spending maybe more time charging than driving lol . Ok extreme I guess but you do have a valid point . It’s prohibitive imo with the pricing !

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
About to head out on my own EV adventure from Birmingham to Assen in the Netherlands via Harwich and Hook of Holland. Three problems:
1. I have a Renault Zoe 4.0, which is promising me 145 miles of electricity. And it is something like 180 to Harwich.
2. This car can only charge through AC Type 2, so limited to a maximum of 21kW.
3. No experience of charging abroad.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
About to head out on my own EV adventure from Birmingham to Assen in the Netherlands via Harwich and Hook of Holland. Three problems:
1. I have a Renault Zoe 4.0, which is promising me 145 miles of electricity. And it is something like 180 to Harwich.
2. This car can only charge through AC Type 2, so limited to a maximum of 21kW.
3. No experience of charging abroad.
Wow :-)

Well you'll definitely need a charge between Birmingham and Harwich. My tip would be to limit your speed to 60mph on the motorways and stick with the HGVs. That 140 will likely turn into 70 at 70mph if my leaf is anything to go by. Looks like there's a bit of a hub at Bury St Edmonds but it's probably a bit far. There's 4 chargers around Taversham that I'd aim for. You could grab another charge in Rotterdam - loads of chargers about. ANother stop at Kendriksbos should then get you to Assen.

It'll be a long day though. you'll need 4 to 4.5 hours to get to the ferry then about 4 hours from rotterdam to assen

Time to get zapmapping :becool:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Wow :-)

Well you'll definitely need a charge between Birmingham and Harwich. My tip would be to limit your speed to 60mph on the motorways and stick with the HGVs. That 140 will likely turn into 70 at 70mph if my leaf is anything to go by. Looks like there's a bit of a hub at Bury St Edmonds but it's probably a bit far. There's 4 chargers around Taversham that I'd aim for. You could grab another charge in Rotterdam - loads of chargers about. ANother stop at Kendriksbos should then get you to Assen.

It'll be a long day though. you'll need 4 to 4.5 hours to get to the ferry then about 4 hours from rotterdam to assen

Time to get zapmapping :becool:

I certainly wasn't planning on such adventures when I got the car. Fortunately I love a good challenge.

Lunch and recharge in Cambridge area. Then needs to be 100% battery in Harwich, with a stop for groceries on the way to the camp site in Assen.

Looks like Chargemap is better in continental Europe.

140 in the Zoe is doable on motorways at 65. Most of my driving seems to be on motorways or dual carriageways, and the range guessometer would probably give me a lot more if I drove slower.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I find motorway driving to be the least economical. Constant high speed with no ability to recover anything via the brakes. You can almost see the numbers dropping before your eyes. Pottering around town is best for me.

That 145 range will drop quickly if you go too fast or have the AC blasting.

Good luck let us know how you get on.
I’d be nervous in my car which has a range of 325 miles. And it can charge at the 350kw superchargers.

potsy

Rambler
I get to drive my bosses car quite often, a VW id4.
Even though I know it has plenty of range I still find myself constantly watching the battery percentage dwindle away.
First electric car I've driven and I must admit it's had a positive effect on my next choice of car being electric, mainly due to the smooth ride and instant acceleration that I just don't get in my Troc.

albion

Guru
I find motorway driving to be the least economical. Constant high speed with no ability to recover anything via the brakes. You can almost see the numbers dropping before your eyes. Pottering around town is best for me.
Drag coefficient is the most important as is low speed, wind resistance not being linear but exponential.

Top Bottom