Electric cars.. Nothing new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
On the subject of Ev's I didn't realise that Genesis are part of Hyundai

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, they were always Toyota's "luxury" brand.
No, and Toyota even claimed in court that Lexus was nothing to do with them.

They were taken to court by one of their largest dealers in Ireland who questioned their pricing differences of parts for both brands when the parts on a test order came back with the same parts in seperate boxes, at very different prices.
Toyota now have to display both flags in all their dealers, in Ireland, since they lost the case. As an acknowledgement that they are one and the same.

Alex321

Guru

They were taken to court by one of their largest dealers in Ireland who questioned their pricing differences of parts for both brands when the parts on a test order came back with the same parts in seperate boxes, at very different prices.
Toyota now have to display both flags in all their dealers, in Ireland, since they lost the case. As an acknowledgement that they are one and the same.

It doesn't really matter what Toyota may have falsely claimed in an Irish court (as you say, they lost the case).

The fact is that Lexus was founded in 1985 by Toyota, as their luxury brand. And has always been owned by Toyota.

So I'm not sure where your initial "No" comes from in your response.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Nothing new, Leyland/Austin Rover did similar with the pricing on some shared components back in the 70's/80's and as for the Jaguar/Landrover parts that were common to both marques :ohmy:

CXRAndy

Guru
Jaguar xj used ford Mondeo platform. I bet there was a price difference.

icowden

Veteran
The Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Genesis GV60 are basically the same car with different external packaging. All owned by the same company.
The Genesis is about £10K more than the other 2. You basically pay more to not own a Kia or Hyundai.
Full disclosure I own the Ioniq 5.
In a similar vein, the VW ID3,4,5,6,7,Buzz, Audi Q4 and Q5 etron, Cupra Born and Tavascan, Ford Explorer and Capri, Skoda Enyaq are all the same car with different external packaging.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
In a similar vein, the VW ID3,4,5,6,7,Buzz, Audi Q4 and Q5 etron, Cupra Born and Tavascan, Ford Explorer and Capri, Skoda Enyaq are all the same car with different external packaging.

Maybe but the ones I mentioned have the exact same battery, motor, chassis and wheel base. They are the exact same car underneath.

icowden

Veteran
Maybe but the ones I mentioned have the exact same battery, motor, chassis and wheel base. They are the exact same car underneath.
Yes, it's the same for the VW MEB. It's the same battery, motor, chassis and wheelbase. But no-one cares about the electric skateboard like they cared about petrol engines. It's all about the controlling tech and the way it's been implemented - that's where it gets quite different.

Top Bottom