Electric cars.. Nothing new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
There's a scrapyard, with a rail link, on the outskirts of Bradford that may be cleared for just that use. The former Crossley Evans site just outside Shipley is being converted to such a site. And it has the rail link.

Shame really as that would have been ideal entry point for the Saltaire tunnel which would take through traffic away from Shipley and saltaire.
I doubt that re rail terminal will reduce traffic in these two town/ villages...

Shame really as that would have been ideal entry point for the Saltaire tunnel which would take through traffic away from Shipley and saltaire.
I doubt that re rail terminal will reduce traffic in these two town/ villages...

Possibly not, but it's a well known phenomenon that more roads create more traffic, so the relief brought to those villages in the short term wouldn't have lasted forever.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's on the site of the old goods yard.

Not so much yet in the UK, but USA has Tesla rig. 500 mile range per day fully loaded. The supercharger network will need to be installed for HGV to enable journeys to continue after each shift

That's debatable. It also depends on what how they define "fully loaded". I'm not sure Tesla has publicly said what their capacity is. The problem is that even the most advanced battery is extremely heavy, meaning the cargo capacity will be reduced. As far as I know, Pepsi have said that the max range for a Tesla Semi carrying Pepsi is about 100km.

Smaller trucks with shorter ranges are more plausible, and more useful, but unfortunately people will try to keep the current system going and invest in anything that promises to achieve this. The process has to run its course.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
That's debatable. It also depends on what how they define "fully loaded". I'm not sure Tesla has publicly said what their capacity is. The problem is that even the most advanced battery is extremely heavy, meaning the cargo capacity will be reduced. As far as I know, Pepsi have said that the max range for a Tesla Semi carrying Pepsi is about 100km.

Smaller trucks with shorter ranges are more plausible, and more useful, but unfortunately people will try to keep the current system going and invest in anything that promises to achieve this. The process has to run its course.

Do you have a source for the 100km range ? It seems odd that it's such a nice round number and in kilometers too.
If the range really was only 63miles I'd be shocked there was even a trial.

Last edited:
Do you have a source for the 100km range ? It seems odd that it's such a nice round number and in kilometers too.

PepsiCo’s new Semis can haul Frito-Lay food products for around 425 miles (684 km), but for heavier loads of sodas, the trucks will do shorter trips of around 100 miles (160 km), O’Connell said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/16/pep...ng-facilities-for-more-in-2023-exec-says.html

About 2/3 of the way down. They can carry crisps and Doritos further, which is handy for anyone who wants to transport feathers or hay. As with Electric cars, these don't seem to be anything like as revolutionary as they claim.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

simongt

Guru
He'd have room to wear a hat.
Apparently the London black cabs were originally designed so a 'gentleman' could wear his topper inside said cab - ! ^_^
Wonder if that's still the criteria - ? :whistle:

Jameshow

Veteran
Possibly not, but it's a well known phenomenon that more roads create more traffic, so the relief brought to those villages in the short term wouldn't have lasted forever.

Probably not in this case not having 44tonne trucks trundling past primary schools and world heritage sites might be a good idea! Why they put new houses on canal road is mental too....

Probably not in this case not having 44tonne trucks trundling past primary schools and world heritage sites might be a good idea! Why they put new houses on canal road is mental too....

This was an argument used locally to us too, until someone did a traffic census, and they realised for every truck there were about ten cars driving through the village, five of which were from within the village. This changed the nature of the argument somewhat. I'm not saying the trucks aren't a problem, but it's amazing how people will scapegoat them and miss the volume of cars.

Of course, a rail based freight transport hub may go some way to assisting the overall problem as well...

classic33

Leg End Member
Because it's an in service trial.
There's over 200 on order, for which PepsiCo have deposits paid on 100. Seven years with their money in someone else's account, and very little to show for it.
Their fleet is 36 Semi's.

The likes of UPS and Walmart are looking elsewhere, whilst PepsiCo are now using Daimler as a supplier

FishFright

More wheels than sense
There's over 200 on order, for which PepsiCo have deposits paid on 100. Seven years with their money in someone else's account, and very little to show for it.
Their fleet is 36 Semi's.

The likes of UPS and Walmart are looking elsewhere, whilst PepsiCo are now using Daimler as a supplier

It was done to produce real world data for Tesla and not a pass / fail examination on the concept of electric trucking

Top Bottom