Electric cars.. Nothing new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Isn't it the plan to increase the number of EV's? Have I missed something? Charging points first, change the public's view on EV's second. The second will follow from the first.

Yes, but you are putting the cart before the horse. When the petrol engine was invented there were no petrol stations. Petrol stations increased as demand increased from people buying petrol cars, because people selling petrol wanted to make more money. This process is no different from EVs.

Remember that farm shop in Totnes I mentioned? They took the opportunity to lease the premises next to 16 superchargers.

STRAWBERRY FIELDS AT BUCKFASTLEIGH​

Strawberry Fields at Buckfastleigh opened in July 2023! A BRAND NEW second smaller farm shop and coffee shop just off the A38 near Buckfastleigh alongside the Southwest's largest electric car charging station.
Come along to see what Strawberry Fields at Buckfastleigh has to offer!

The supercharger owner is happy as the farm shop and cafe is a great attraction for people charging to have a coffee and cake, and the farm shop is happy because they are selling more of their goods.

It's like a service station but nicer. Much nicer.

Alex321

Guru
Isn't it the plan to increase the number of EV's? Have I missed something? Charging points first, change the public's view on EV's second. The second will follow from the first.

Yes, the plan is to increase the number of EVs. But also the number of charging points is increasing.

icowden

Veteran
Yes, the plan is to increase the number of EVs. But also the number of charging points is increasing.

zapmap-stat-graph.jpg

https://www.zap-map.com/ev-stats/how-many-charging-points

dicko

Guru
We are holidaying in a village where every home has at least one EV mostly Teslas or above. It’s a very private village with an excellent public house.

DRM

Guru
As pointed out previously work are weighing up using electric vans, the type would currently have 100 miles of realistic range, that means that last week alone it would have needed 9 full charges, and one half charge, so even if it was charged at home would mean over a 5 year lease, the battery would be absolutely shot

Yes, but you are putting the cart before the horse. When the petrol engine was invented there were no petrol stations. Petrol stations increased as demand increased from people buying petrol cars, because people selling petrol wanted to make more money. This process is no different from EVs.

Remember that farm shop in Totnes I mentioned? They took the opportunity to lease the premises next to 16 superchargers.

The supercharger owner is happy as the farm shop and cafe is a great attraction for people charging to have a coffee and cake, and the farm shop is happy because they are selling more of their goods.

It's like a service station but nicer. Much nicer.

When petrol cars were first on the road filling stations didn't exist but you could buy petrol from a chemists.
Provide the charging points first and people will accept a BEV more readily.

As a side issue, ignoring the overall supply of electricity, will the cables supplying domestic electricity be big enough?
Think of a large housing estate, will the cable feeding the estate be capable of supplying enough current if most of the households had fast chargers?
I expect most people would charge at night and it's when people like us run the dishwasher and washing machine. Admittedly things like TV's and lights will be off.
Has anyone seen any actual facts on this. Maybe it's not a problem but I do wonder.

Dadam

Über Member
so even if it was charged at home would mean over a 5 year lease, the battery would be absolutely shot

Nonsense. I know somebody who bought a used Tesla model 3 and put 200k miles on it in 5 years. He visits building sites up and down the country so drives a LOT. He still has it and estimates it's lost maybe 15 miles of range in that time.

Alex321

Guru
As a side issue, ignoring the overall supply of electricity, will the cables supplying domestic electricity be big enough?
Think of a large housing estate, will the cable feeding the estate be capable of supplying enough current if most of the households had fast chargers?
I expect most people would charge at night and it's when people like us run the dishwasher and washing machine. Admittedly things like TV's and lights will be off.
Has anyone seen any actual facts on this. Maybe it's not a problem but I do wonder.

Well hardly anybody will have fast chargers. Household electricity supplies would not cope. Most people will have 7kW chargers, which use less power than some showers. Household electricity supplies generally have a main breaker which trips at 80 Amps - a little under 20kW.

And as you say, most people will charge at off peak times - people with EV chargers will generally be on tariffs which vary by time of day. Or if they also have solar panels, will charge when those are giving them the most power.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
They fit a current measuring device to your supply when you fit a charging point. This prevents the incoming current from exceeding the design, and does mean that charging may be reduced if you have the cooker on, someone is having a shower, and the electric heating or fan heaters are working hard. But shouldn't be a problem unless the shower lasts for several hours.

DRM

Guru
Nonsense. I know somebody who bought a used Tesla model 3 and put 200k miles on it in 5 years. He visits building sites up and down the country so drives a LOT. He still has it and estimates it's lost maybe 15 miles of range in that time.

That’s a Tesla with a large battery, not a crappy Citroen/Peugeot Van with an advertised maximum range of 125 Miles, and very likely a £60,000 price difference to buy the Tesla, and Li-Ion Batteries can, do fail, Tesla Model 3 Long Range does 350 miles, so 200,000 miles divided by 350 miles range is 571 full charges, current , Van I’m expecting to have 150,000 miles on it when it goes back divided by 100 miles range is 1500 full charges, plus hours of lost work time topping it up in order to get home, so you CANNOT compare to a Tesla, that battery will have had nearly 3 times the amount of charges compared to that car

Alex321

Guru
That’s a Tesla with a large battery, not a crappy Citroen/Peugeot Van with an advertised maximum range of 125 Miles, and very likely a £60,000 price difference to buy the Tesla, and Li-Ion Batteries can, do fail, Tesla Model 3 Long Range does 350 miles, so 200,000 miles divided by 350 miles range is 571 full charges, current , Van I’m expecting to have 150,000 miles on it when it goes back divided by 100 miles range is 1500 full charges, plus hours of lost work time topping it up in order to get home, so you CANNOT compare to a Tesla, that battery will have had nearly 3 times the amount of charges compared to that car

It still probably won't be "shot", though it will certainly have lost some range.

TBH, I don't understand why anybody would buy a van with that short a range if they are expecting to be doing 30K miles per year in it.

Dadam

Über Member
I'm not disputing the van will have had more charges. I'm merely showing a counter example to the sweeping generalisation you made "the battery will be completely shot".

Of course they fail but at a much lower rate than the usual internet FUD would claim. The battery will of course have experienced some degradation, but again unlikely to be "shot". Only your employer and you can assess whether those vans meet your use case but many companies have been using electric vans for years so there must be a lot of data available for the residual battery health for similar vans after your example 5 year lease.

Most of the Amazon deliveries near me seem to be in fully electric vans and they must do ridiculous mileages.

DRM

Guru
It still probably won't be "shot", though it will certainly have lost some range.

TBH, I don't understand why anybody would buy a van with that short a range if they are expecting to be doing 30K miles per year in it.

Me neither but I don’t make such decisions, as usual we have to deal with the fall out from it

Top Bottom