Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Toby Carvery is where you see people dressed properly for dinner. Anytime from 12 till 10pm they can be seen looking resplendent in tracky bottoms & 3 year old football shirts, slopping gravy from their over filled plates onto a never cleaned 10 year old carpet as they waddle to & from the counter.

If that's meant to be copy for their press department I'd check twice before pitching it.

AndyRM

XOXO
If that's meant to be copy for their press department I'd check twice before pitching it.

Most of all because it's not particularly accurate! I've been to a few around my neck of the woods which are in really cool old buildings, very clean with tasty food and excellent value.

Gwylan

Veteran
I think the main issue is how you conduct yourself and treat people regarding showing respect, not what clothes you wear. As long as you are not wearing anything inappropriate I don't see what the issue is.
I also don't think anyone could call a polo shirt making an effort, its a t shirt with a flimsy collar on.

Worn generally by naff golf wannabee types......or employees of the pool cleaning company.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Toby Carvery is where you see people dressed properly for dinner. Anytime from 12 till 10pm they can be seen looking resplendent in tracky bottoms & 3 year old football shirts, slopping gravy from their over filled plates onto a never cleaned 10 year old carpet as they waddle to & from the counter.

TBF our local one has a strict dress code. Tracky bottoms can only be worn if tucked into your socks and while you wear a baseball cap back to front.

Gwylan

Veteran
Four star holiday hotel I'd probably pack a couple of evening shirts, a pair of nice trousers, maybe a jacket if I felt a bit swanky but obviously luggage space is limited. Probably just button down Ben Sherman shirts or similar, nothing too formal. I'm not sure what slacks are (similar to chinos?) but I wouldn't consider a polo shirt 'dressing for dinner'. Casual end of smart casual maybe? Hotel will have a dress code if they're that bothered and maybe formal and informal dining areas.

Ben Sherman? FGS!

Venod

Eh up
Two 4 star hotels this year both excellent IMO, the dress code was stated as long trousers for dinner, no beach wear, no sleevless vests for gentlemen.
The long trousers wasn't enforced, lots of people in shorts including me after the first evening, nobody looked scruffy.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would look down on them a bit for not wearing smart shorts and short-sleeved shirt like me, but I guess it's fine. I'd rather that than someone who dresses smartly and doesn't know how to behave in a restaurant or other eatery. I do always pack smart things for a sunny holiday just for that reason. Though I think the "British Etiquette" is being more watered down with each generation. And who determines what smart is anyway? If you have a £100 shirt that is ripped and creased, it doesn't look as smart as a £7 T-shirt that is new and nicely ironed IMHO

Gwylan

Veteran
What? Are we saying that's better or worse than a polo shirt?

Let me think for a moment.

Polo shirts are the lowest of the low

Does Ben Sherman still make shirts? Certainly not cut to fit my mature profile.

I belonged to a climbing club where there were two groups. The Bennies and the rest.
Anyone remember that TV soap about a motel. That Bennie.

Our Bennies tended to turn up late, not have all their kit and fall off a lot.

But they did try new routes.
Their shout out was the Ben Sherman shirts they wore.

Membership was fluid and it was never clear to me quite how the membership was selected or ones status changed.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Let me think for a moment.

Polo shirts are the lowest of the low

Does Ben Sherman still make shirts? Certainly not cut to fit my mature profile.

I belonged to a climbing club where there were two groups. The Bennies and the rest.
Anyone remember that TV soap about a motel. That Bennie.

Our Bennies tended to turn up late, not have all their kit and fall off a lot.

But they did try new routes.
Their shout out was the Ben Sherman shirts they wore.

Membership was fluid and it was never clear to me quite how the membership was selected or ones status changed.

Do you wear your climbing gear to dinner?

Other button down shirts are available but people know what you mean when you say Ben Sherman and I happen to have a stack of them in the wardrobe.

I probably wouldn't wear a formal shirt and tie is what I'm saying.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Get a Ben Sherman Polo shirt...best of both worlds.

I'm wearing a Polo jacket today.

20240115_171833.jpg

Top Bottom