Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Been out for tea two nights in a row.

All you fancy dans would have looked right out of place, particularly on Saturday as we were going to Rocky Horror at the theatre round the corner after and many of our fellow diners were dressed accordingly.

Last night I wore my smartest Iron Maiden shirt to go to our local Italian. I wasn't made any unrefusable offers so the owners must have been alright with that.

Jody

Stubborn git
I had no idea people still reffered to trousers as slacks, a word I have never spoken and this thread is the first time I recall writing it.

The lower class version would be action slacks (tracksuit bottoms)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On holiday, my day clothes (shorts/t-shirt) are usually covered in sun cream, sand, dribbled ice cream etc, so I ll stick on fresh t-shirt/shirt and trousers of some sort. I hate flip flops !

My experience of restaurant work was quite amusing. I worked in a county hotel that was a big old house that had recently been renovated. The guy who did the renovation ran the hotel and was the host. Problem was he was a never right for the part. He was obviously just a hulking great Welsh builder in a suit. The kitchen was run by his incredibly camp son. I worked the bar and took orders, the boss' daughter was waitress. I also didn't have a clue what I was doing so I compensated by being excessively polite to everyone. I had a No 2. haircut at the time.

It was a sitcom in the making, clumsy gorilla in a suit doing meet and greet. Obsequious skinhead taking the orders, and camp chef mincing around creating a scene in the kitchen, sulky teen serving the food.
JOEFIXIT2023001-Preview-5.jpg

Occasionally, normally after we take the grandkids back, we are a bit later than usual and SWMBO suggests that we "go out for tea"

i.e. we "go to a restaurant for dinner" in normal parlance!

anyway - sometimes I feel wrong about it because I am just wearing my normal jeans and t-shirt
I mean - we normally just go to a pub type place such as the nearest BeefEater - but it still feels wrong

and on holiday we just wander into breakfast and lunch wearing whatever with a t-shirt (or whatever forSWMBO) over the top

but for the evening meal we have a shower and put on a smarter shirt and eitehr smarter shorts or long trousers

just to make it feel more special

as I said before - I find it hilarious when a couple walks in and the woman has carefully done hair, makeup and carefully chosen elegant dress
and her "bloke" is wearing things that I would hesitate to wear to the beach!!!

still - live and let live (and laugh at them quietly!)

Dave7

Legendary Member
My experience of restaurant work was quite amusing. I worked in a county hotel that was a big old house that had recently been renovated. The guy who did the renovation ran the hotel and was the host. Problem was he was a never right for the part. He was obviously just a hulking great Welsh builder in a suit. The kitchen was run by his incredibly camp son. I worked the bar and took orders, the boss' daughter was waitress. I also didn't have a clue what I was doing so I compensated by being excessively polite to everyone. I had a No 2. haircut at the time.

It was a sitcom in the making, clumsy gorilla in a suit doing meet and greet. Obsequious skinhead taking the orders, and camp chef mincing around creating a scene in the kitchen, sulky teen serving the food.

Could make a good TV sitcom.

Slick

Guru
Been out for tea two nights in a row.

All you fancy dans would have looked right out of place, particularly on Saturday as we were going to Rocky Horror at the theatre round the corner after and many of our fellow diners were dressed accordingly.

Last night I wore my smartest Iron Maiden shirt to go to our local Italian. I wasn't made any unrefusable offers so the owners must have been alright with that.

There's no way anyone would describe me as a fancy Dan, and I'm quite proud of my background but like a lot of people, it involved being brought up in a council house with frost on the inside of the windows. Mrs Slick and I do like a wee night out now and then and that often means a nice city centre restaurant and a night at the theatre. I wouldn't say we looked out of place, but I can't help but notice the amount 9f paraffin lamps cutting around the place. It maybe sounds a bit middle class but we certainly aren't.

AndyRM

XOXO
There's no way anyone would describe me as a fancy Dan, and I'm quite proud of my background but like a lot of people, it involved being brought up in a council house with frost on the inside of the windows. Mrs Slick and I do like a wee night out now and then and that often means a nice city centre restaurant and a night at the theatre. I wouldn't say we looked out of place, but I can't help but notice the amount 9f paraffin lamps cutting around the place. It maybe sounds a bit middle class but we certainly aren't.

Yeah, I get that. I dunno, I guess I just don't really give a hoot what other people wear. Nothing to do with standards or whatever, it's just a weird thing to bother about for me. If there's rules, there's rules, which is fair enough but otherwise who cares?

Alex321

Guru
Yeah, I get that. I dunno, I guess I just don't really give a hoot what other people wear. Nothing to do with standards or whatever, it's just a weird thing to bother about for me. If there's rules, there's rules, which is fair enough but otherwise who cares?

It does affect the overall ambience of the place, I think. Which is probably why so many hotels do have rules in place.

AndyRM

XOXO
It does affect the overall ambience of the place, I think. Which is probably why so many hotels do have rules in place.

Not for me. It's more the people who are in the clothes that affect the ambience.

Last night for example: me in my Maiden shirt having a quiet conversation with my fiancée in her moon tarot shirt, or the couple next to us in far smarter clothes but ignoring their screaming toddler who is bashing a cup around and watching some cartoon on a phone.

I know who's knackering the ambience there.

Alex321

Guru
Not for me. It's more the people who are in the clothes that affect the ambience.

Last night for example: me in my Maiden shirt having a quiet conversation with my fiancée in her moon tarot shirt, or the couple next to us in far smarter clothes but ignoring their screaming toddler who is bashing a cup around and watching some cartoon on a phone.

I know who's knackering the ambience there.

Obviously there are times like that, people who are going to wreck it no matter what they wear. And yes, behaviour is much more important than dress.

But assuming behaviour is similar, it just feels nicer if everybody is at leats dressed in a tidy manner.

Top Bottom