Discrimination and Loss of "freedom of movement" for poor and disabled

Is exclusion and discrimination of the poor and disabled in regards to cycling a serious problem?

• yes

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • no

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I am ignorant on the issue (lack of knowledge, not dumb)

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • your trolling

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • your not trolling

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • They are a danger and should not be allowed (for what ever reason)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I never knew I was discriminating by "exclusion"

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don't want them cycling and think you need to be silenced

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • please educate me

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • TMI (if this is your selection please PM as to why)

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did you ask them about dragging animal carcases along?

No, but wouldn't that be covered by "representing a hazard to thos walking".

Thats going to be another call, in a few hours, when offices have opened. I'll get back to you that one as well as the gutting & cleaning of said deer in a residential building
Edit. Quick call has given the answer that "slaughter and or butchering would not be legal on a residential property" Property would have to be checked to see that it meets required US safety, health & hygeine standards. "Was I aware of anyone doing this" & "would I be willing to name them" Tempting that last one.

Oldspice
Have you tried the code yet?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No, but wouldn't that be covered by "representing a hazard to thos walking".

Thats going to be another call, in a few hours, when offices have opened. I'll get back to you that one as well as the gutting & cleaning of said deer in a residential building.

Oldspice
Have you tried the code yet?
Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability, and I want you to know that we are with you :thumbsup:

Trail Child

Thats due to the epilepsy. A fit/seizure whilst the plane is in flight would require an immediate emergency landing. Normal restraint methods that can be used on an aircraft are not allowed.
I did not know this! I've never been questioned about health status before (here in Canada - it's discriminatory). I guess I can't fly on any British carriers?

classic33

Leg End Member
Animal Welfare
In the circumstances described, carrying a dead deer on a bike or in a trailer, you could be prosecuted
They put me through to city resources, where this was got
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@regservices/documents/webcontent/convert_280638.pdf
Section 4 could be a bit problamatic
They have again said that if I am aware of the persons name to report it. “Would I be willing to make a complaint now”

I think the accent is making them believe that the questions are not genuine. Other than that, being passsed from pillar to post, no different to here.

classic33

Leg End Member
I did not know this! I've never been questioned about health status before (here in Canada - it's discriminatory). I guess I can't fly on any British carriers?
It is. But as I don't intend flying due to the list of restrictions, I'm not that bothered. I'll travel by alternate means.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thats due to the epilepsy. A fit/seizure whilst the plane is in flight would require an immediate emergency landing.

Really? Why? I could understand that if it happened to someone who had no previous seizure history but someone with existing epilepsy will already have made (or at least should have) airline staff aware.

Normal restraint methods that can be used on an aircraft are not allowed.

I'm not sure what you mean by this: are you saying epileptics are not allowed to wear lap belts or that some other methods of restraining a seizure victim aren't allowed?

The information on epilepsy.org.uk suggests there is no automatic bar to flying with epilepsy:

"Some people with epilepsy have concerns about flying. There is no evidence to suggest that flying is harmful, and people with epilepsy travel the world.
If your epilepsy is not completely controlled it may be advisable to let the travel agent/cabin staff know. Some airlines also have additional guidelines concerning people with epilepsy. An example might be for you to sit in an aisle seat in case you have a seizure. Further details may be available from your travel agent, or directly from the airline concerned."

And just to pick one example, Easyjet allow epilepsy sufferers on their flights.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

No, you've been given misleading information.

My advice would be to check with the airline to ensure they don't need something like a letter from your doctor stating you are fit to fly. I've just spoken to customer services at British Airways and they allow epilepsy sufferers to fly. Their cabin staff are trained to advanced first aid levels including how to cope if a passenger suffers a seizure on board.

GC

classic33

Leg End Member
Really? Why? I could understand that if it happened to someone who had no previous seizure history but someone with existing epilepsy will already have made (or at least should have) airline staff aware.

I'm not sure what you mean by this: are you saying epileptics are not allowed to wear lap belts or that some other methods of restraining a seizure victim aren't allowed?

The information on epilepsy.org.uk suggests there is no automatic bar to flying with epilepsy:

"Some people with epilepsy have concerns about flying. There is no evidence to suggest that flying is harmful, and people with epilepsy travel the world.
If your epilepsy is not completely controlled it may be advisable to let the travel agent/cabin staff know. Some airlines also have additional guidelines concerning people with epilepsy. An example might be for you to sit in an aisle seat in case you have a seizure. Further details may be available from your travel agent, or directly from the airline concerned."

And just to pick one example, Easyjet allow epilepsy sufferers on their flights.

GC
Never intended to give mis-leading information.
The type of seizure that normally occurs is Grand Mal. Requiring, due to past history, immediate medical attention, at a hospital if no improvement within a set time period. Which given the speed of the aircraft would mean that a fair distance can be covered in that time period. They have often developed into Status epilepticus, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1164462-overview
Normal restraint methods are those used to restrain some-one who might have "kicked off", they can't sedate without the risk of making the condition worse. In a Grand Mal seizure, you do not restrict the movement of the person having the seizure. You can injure them & they can also injure you without knowing.
Given the restrictions that airlines have placed on me, one wanted insurance to cover for any emergency landing made as a result of a seizure.

As I said, "I am not allowed to fly on any of the airlines over here, as I represent an "unacceptable risk to the crew, plane & passengers"(in that order) whilst the plane is in the air."
That was meant to relate to me only.
Checked the easyjet site & they require 24 hours after a seizure before they will let you fly.

GC, have used the wording/term seizure as used by you, just so that no-one is offended by what I call them. Sorry if you dis agree with that wording, but willing to change it, if you find it offensive.

classic33

Leg End Member
Soon as it drys i'll give it a go. Thank you
Why did you let the code get wet?

Update on the earlier post' #417. Call returned by two organizations. One municipal the other the EPA. Municipal wanted to know where & how these deer would be transported. Guidelines/regulations in place governing this. And in what has to be the daftest answer I have had to any enquiry, I have been told that I "could face prosecution for causing unnecessary sufferring to the animal". Given that when transported it would, I assume be dead, how can it be caused "unnecessary sufferring".

Municipal & EPA both wanted to know how the entrails/insides of the animal would be disposed off. The same with the blood. Very strict guidlines on this part, with heavy fines for any breach of the regulations.
One thing at least, with them phoning me they at least know the calls were genuine calls from the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom