Dehumidifier recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
There is one small issue with that 12l one. Low noise is at the lower setting meaning it will need to be on the high noise setting, in order to be well useful.

We haven’t found it to be the case. Ours is on the landing of three bedrooms we have a ceiling airer on that landing. When it came humidity was 70 up there it ran for 6 hours on low mode and the upstairs was 55. Now it’s only used when washing goes up and we do put it on laundry mode which is slightly noisier but barely heard from downstairs. Takes 3 -4 hours to dry a load and at which point the humidity will be reading below 50.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The noise has never troubled me; mine is not particularly quiet compared to modern ones. It's more like white noise i.e. keeps the same volume and tone throughout. Unlike the dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, TV

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Agree the running costs are pretty negligible and thats having one in the bike shed keeping it to a humidity max of 50

Got to look after the bikes. Same with my garage - got it on 40 at the moment to ensure the camping gear is dried out, then will set at 50. Don't want rusty bikes, tools and mildew on the tent.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Windows open or closed? pros and cons. If you leave your windows open, it is good for letting smells and stale air out, and also good for letting condensation (i.e. on windows) evapoprate off to the outside. The downsides are that you are also letting heat out and letting water (moist air) in. You may need to run your dehumidifier for longer if you want a really dry house. The drier the air in your house, the more easily it will heat up, because moister air requires more energy to heat up. So a nice side effect of the dehumidifier is that your home will heat up slightly quicker whilst running it, and you have a bit of heat given off my the dehumidifier (being an electric motor).

Given that my current electric rate is nearly £20/month just for the standing charge, i.e. before I've even paid for electricity, I don't think very small savings are something I worry about any more. As long as the dehumidifier is cheaper than the tumble drier (which it is, massively) then I'm happy. The tumble is probably £1/hour, compared to 8p/hour for my DH

Your mention of the Standing Charge had me checking mine. I'm still on a gas tariff with a 28p per day S/C and my Electricity is 48p per day. Combined they add up to £23.56 per month. It's no wonder they are show in pence per day and not the monthly cost. I'm aware that the unit prices between fuels are deliberately skewed to favour gas / penalise electricity and that's something that should / could be investigated. Perhaps not a topic for here lest it stray into Mod territory.
Anyway, back to Dehumidifiers, we have the one that we purchased from ScrewFix a few years ago. It was for our daughters flat which had some mould issues. We upgraded it to an Ebac model which is manufactured here in the UK, and according to the blurb is tailored specifically to the UK climate. It's a great machine with built in HEPA filtration. We inherited the " Blyss " model and only really started to use it in clothes drying mode last year. It's been a revelation, we now only use the tumble dryer for a short time in order to " soften " the towels ( and occasionally when re-proofing waterproof clothing )

albion

Guru
Agree the running costs are pretty negligible and thats having one in the bike shed keeping it to a humidity max of 50

Must be a good or miniscule shed. Airy damp sheds are likely to run 24/7.
Every case is different. Anyone with cosy warm central heating will likely oniy be using it to dry clothes. In that scenario it is cheaper than a tumble dryer.

Mike_P

Guru
Must be a good or miniscule shed. Airy damp sheds are likely to run 24/7.
Every case is different. Anyone with cosy warm central heating will likely oniy be using it to dry clothes. In that scenario it is cheaper than a tumble dryer.

Its a metal 2 bike Asgard, the issue resolved is condensation dripping from the roof onto the bikes. Have it an on a separate humdity controller and an indoor outdoor thermometer gives me a reading of it, currently its two degrees warmer than outside and the humidity has just crep up to 51% so it will be kicking in. Outside otherwise is 95%.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You only need one of the mini ones if its just to put on when you have washing drying indoors etc.

You only need a big one if you have a damp issue in your house / flat. as far as i'm aware - you don't. Its only your downstairs neighbour that has a damp issue, and that's only when you choose to empty your shower through her ceiling :okay: :okay:

I do have a damp problem though. My bathroom has been painted with 'anti damp/mould' paint and the storage space at the top of my stairs is covered in it. That's because the housing association put non opening windows in the top of the stairs, not allowing tenants to open the window to let damp air out. My intentions are to ask the housing association to clean the mould off, once I have a dehumidifier up and running.

Top Bottom