Dehumidifier recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Question.
If you buy a dehumidifier with an air purifier can you keep your windows closed all day if you want to, as the machine should constantly purify the air in your home, meaning you don't have to like me leave your windows open for 4 or 5 hours a day?

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
Fed up with trying to get washing dried this summer we bought a Meaco Arete 12L Low Energy Quiet Dehumidifier from Appliances Direct.
Been using it for a couple of months and we’ve nothing but praise for it. It’s quiet, easy to use, hasn’t made the electric bill frightening.

Gwylan

Veteran
We have a Trotec. Not cheap, but after cheap and nasty experience it's worthwhile getting a decent one.

Used it at home to dry washing at home. Also great for keeping the conservatory dry. Been useful as well as on the boat and in the camper during the winter.

Currently drying out the loo where there was a secret leak (of clean water) revealed by unexpected mold.

Jody

Stubborn git

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're still using ours daily for drying clothing. Also helps keep my winter boots 'fresh' by drying them. I've also managed to 'fix' the buttons on our ancient screwfix dehumidifier (pulled it to bits and squirted electrical contact cleaner at the electronics). It's been set to 40% for a couple of weeks, drying the camping gear out for winter storage. It's been pulling a tank of water out of the air per day.

Psamathe

I was once warned by a builder (when he noticed I had a dehumidifier running to be careful as you can do a lot of damage to your house if you pull too much moisture from the air which can start pulling normal moisture levels out from the building structure.

(Just repeating a warning from builder).
Ian

fossyant

I was once warned by a builder (when he noticed I had a dehumidifier running to be careful as you can do a lot of damage to your house if you pull too much moisture from the air which can start pulling normal moisture levels out from the building structure.

Ian

You set the humidity level - somewhere about 50%. Ours is in the kitchen as we have a couple of clothes drying racks. It helps in there also due to moisture created by cooking - rises to 80% at times.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Ian

I haven't heard that one, but I suppose it's a possibility. I have heard that folks wall paper can start to lift/peel off due to lack of air moisture caused by dehumidifiers. Also, they can affect contact lenses, as in take moisture out the eye. I know some who have dry eye problems put a bowl of water on a radiator to make the air more moist, but then you'd have to turn the dehumidifier off otherwise it'd absorb the water from the bowl. 🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Snap. That's what we bought last year and also have nothing but praise.

Worth a look Accy?

https://www.meaco.com/products/meacodry-abc-range-12l-dehumidifier

That looks/sounds decent and it's a fair price. I went to Curry's today to have a look what they had, but was told they don't have them in the store, only online. When I asked why they don't I was told they isn't much call for them.🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Snap. That's what we bought last year and also have nothing but praise.

Worth a look Accy?

https://www.meaco.com/products/meacodry-abc-range-12l-dehumidifier
It should be powerful enough for my small/pokey flat.
  • Low energy costs at 4p / hour based on 24.50p / kWh
  • Quiet Mark – our quietest dehumidifier at just 36dB
  • Ideal for environments with damp and condensation
  • Reviewed as a Which? Best Buy
  • Suitable for flats & 1-3 bedroom houses :okay:
  • Two-year warranty

fossyant

Bigger tanks weigh more, so bear that in mind coming to emptying it. Depending upon how humid the house is, will depend upon the level of water removed from the air - you can set the desired humidity level.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Bigger tanks weigh more, so bear that in mind coming to emptying it. Depending upon how humid the house is, will depend upon the level of water removed from the air - you can set the desired humidity level.

Mmm, I don't think I'd fancy attempting to pour 20 litres of water down the toilet. How much is 20 litres, as in weight I wonder? 🤔

Top Bottom