Dehumidifier recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One kilogram is approximately 2.20462 pounds. So, 20 liters of water would weigh: 20 liters * 1 kilogram/liter * 2.20462 pounds/kilogram = 44.0924 pounds. Rounded to a more practical number of decimal places, 20 liters of water would weigh approximately 44.09 pounds.

So 44.09 pounds divided by 14 pounds per stone equals 3.14 stones in weight. That's some weight for someone who needs a walking stick.:unsure:

Just got my self a new dehumidifier today. I went for this one based on the weight of reviews. I had a ProBreeze one before but after 5 and a bit years (about 6months ago) it stopped working. I didn't really think about its absence until last week and a few soakings when my shoes refused to dry out overnight. The ProBreeze one was OK but it leaked a few times when it needed cleaning, so I tried another. Lol, it was twice the price of the Pro Breeze one last night which has went up £11 overnight :laugh:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
One kilogram is approximately 2.20462 pounds. So, 20 liters of water would weigh: 20 liters * 1 kilogram/liter * 2.20462 pounds/kilogram = 44.0924 pounds. Rounded to a more practical number of decimal places, 20 liters of water would weigh approximately 44.09 pounds.

So 44.09 pounds divided by 14 pounds per stone equals 3.14 stones in weight. That's some weight for someone who needs a walking stick.:unsure:

Totally pointless calculation, as the tank holds a maximum of 2.6 litres, if you bother to read the tech spec.
12 litres is the maximum daily extraction rate, at 30C and 80% relative humidity, a rather unlikely combination in your flat, I suggest.
Compressor dehumidifiers, like this one, don't work very efficiently in lower temperatures, e.g. below about 15C.
Maybe have a look at a desiccant one, such as Meaco DD8L

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So should I keep my windows closed most of, or even all of the time if I buy one? I'm a fresh air fan and always leave my windows open when I'm out every day for about 4 to 5, sometimes more hours. Is doing this letting moist air in as well as 'fresh air'? If I am letting moist air in, especially in winter, am I just absorbing it with a dehumidifier at night when my windows are closed, then repeating the cycle of moisture in, to be absorbed by the dehumidifier the following day, and so on and so on?

Yes, windows should be closed when using a dehumidifier:
  • Prevent moisture from entering
    Keeping windows closed prevents moisture from getting into the dehumidifier, which can affect its performance.
  • Create a confined space
    Closing windows and doors helps create a confined space for the dehumidifier to work in.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Massive overkill for a "small four room flat".

How about this 12 litre one? I'm thinking I could keep my windows closed most, even all of the time with it's added air filtering ability. If it would do that fresh air affect I could keep my windows closed to stop all the tree crap from the big trees outside my flat and the road pollution from the main road I'm close to getting in my flat.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/291...f9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wouldn't worry about leaving windows open. Humidity usually is an issue when drying washing and cooking. So I'd carry on opening the windows, but leave the dehumidifier off until you are doing washing cooking.

Desiccant ones do work better in really cold, but my compressor type works well in a cold garage - still extracts moisture at low temperatures (5c) and prevents any excessive moisture if the temperature changes - if we have a cold spell followed by a warm spell, everything sweats in the garage with a sudden change if the dehumidifier isn't on. Either a desiccant or compressor dehumidifier is fine in the home with normal temperatures.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a small 4 room flat, plus the carpeted etc staircase up to my flat, which counts as part of my flat. I'm thinking of buying a dehumidifier. Winter is approaching in rainy/damp east Lancashire, meaning more condensation, plus I've heard they are good for drying washing and rain wet coats, jackets, shoes/boots etc. Which one would be suitable for me? The smaller the better due to lack of space, though I'm willing to pay a fair amount for a decent one, so I'm not thinking of scrimping on price.

You only need one of the mini ones if its just to put on when you have washing drying indoors etc.

You only need a big one if you have a damp issue in your house / flat. as far as i'm aware - you don't. Its only your downstairs neighbour that has a damp issue, and that's only when you choose to empty your shower through her ceiling :okay: :okay:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Windows open or closed? pros and cons. If you leave your windows open, it is good for letting smells and stale air out, and also good for letting condensation (i.e. on windows) evapoprate off to the outside. The downsides are that you are also letting heat out and letting water (moist air) in. You may need to run your dehumidifier for longer if you want a really dry house. The drier the air in your house, the more easily it will heat up, because moister air requires more energy to heat up. So a nice side effect of the dehumidifier is that your home will heat up slightly quicker whilst running it, and you have a bit of heat given off my the dehumidifier (being an electric motor).

Given that my current electric rate is nearly £20/month just for the standing charge, i.e. before I've even paid for electricity, I don't think very small savings are something I worry about any more. As long as the dehumidifier is cheaper than the tumble drier (which it is, massively) then I'm happy. The tumble is probably £1/hour, compared to 8p/hour for my DH

Top Bottom