Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It looked liked there were only a few hundred spectators each day in a ground with a capacity of ~35,000.

Supporters on the subcontinent only turn up en masse for white ball cricket. Also it was scheduled monday to friday whilst the masses are at work. Not many peopel will take a day off work to sit for 8 hours in 35*C heat. The stands got busier towards the end of the day as people came in for an hour or two after work.

newts

Veteran
Supporters on the subcontinent only turn up en masse for white ball cricket. Also it was scheduled monday to friday whilst the masses are at work. Not many peopel will take a day off work to sit for 8 hours in 35*C heat. The stands got busier towards the end of the day as people came in for an hour or two after work.

They were offering free tickets for many stands to get people through the door.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They were offering free tickets for many stands to get people through the door.
that's not uncommon in 4 / 5 day cricket. In England, apart from sell out games / days its not uncommon for entry on the gate to be free or nominal after tea. It costs the ground nothing and the bar / food outlets make a bit of money on it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1st I've heard. I knew the ground wasn't FULL. You could definitely hear Indians cheering their batters on the R5 feed yesterday.

Have you looked for any clips e.g. on YouTube?

I heard some commentator on a radio program say something like "Not only were they remarkable achievements, but they were achieved in front of an empty stadium, with no one to cheer them on and motivate them".

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1st I've heard. I knew the ground wasn't FULL. You could definitely hear Indians cheering their batters on the R5 feed yesterday.

Have you looked for any clips e.g. on YouTube?
I very much doubt that :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think the 'Barmy Army' were there watching as I doubt many if any were there due to safety/security reasons.
I very much doubt that too - to be fair they are there in much lower numbers than a Caribean or West indies tour....
1728655524995.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve just realised the next test is on the same ground! I can’t imagine it will change much in 3 days. I hope it’s not just a repeat as I’d like to remember the epic we’ve just seen. What will Pakistan do if they win the toss?

newts

Veteran
I’ve just realised the next test is on the same ground! I can’t imagine it will change much in 3 days. I hope it’s not just a repeat as I’d like to remember the epic we’ve just seen. What will Pakistan do if they win the toss?
Put England in, toil for 2 days in the field & then get bowled out twice.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I very much doubt that too - to be fair they are there in much lower numbers than a Caribean or West indies tour....
View attachment 748755

The lack of alcohol doesn’t help the numbers.

The beer and beaches of other potential destinations are far more attractive than 5 days of hot dusty boring cricket.
As pointed out on BBC, it would have been a very boring match without Englands positivity to push the game forward.

Top Bottom