Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I agree he had a strange action but nothing as bad as Malinga, his action should have been banned in my eyes.

I feel that the icc were afraid to ban Malinga's action to keep the peace.
Do you two actually know the Laws on illegal action?

newts

Veteran
Do you two actually know the Laws on illegal action?

I read it many times when this case was in the news & the ICC kept going at it until they found coucil that would interpet the laws to match the way they wanted it to pan out. The 15deg of elbow straightening after the bowling arm is above the shoulder was written in to justify this. It meant you could bowl with a bent arm as long as it didn't straighten more than 15 deg.

albion

Guru
I still think he chucked it.
And even if he wasn’t technically a chucker his action was so exaggerated to basically be as good as chucking it.
His success was down to the fact that batsmen had no experience of playing against a similar bowler on very spin friendly pitches.
I rate Warne as a better bowler.

Some days he chucked it more than others. Whilst yes, it is an impediment, anyone with both it and sense pushes the rules to the limit.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I read it many times when this case was in the news & the ICC kept going at it until they found coucil that would interpet the laws to match the way they wanted it to pan out. The 15deg of elbow straightening after the bowling arm is above the shoulder was written in to justify this. It meant you could bowl with a bent arm as long as it didn't straighten more than 15 deg.

Malinga bowled with a straight arm, a very round arm I'll grant you but he didn't chuck it i.e. he didn't straighten it (by more than 15*) during his action. He was difficult to lay because the ball was delivery from a different (lower and wider) than other bowlers (and at 85mph plus)

Murali allegedly couldn't fully straighten his arm, due to inherent joint issue, so it came in bent and ICC ruled that it didnt straighten more than 15%, but that why he was accused of being a chucker, because he never bowled with a straight arm.

newts

Veteran
The ICC could have queried the elbow above shoulder part of the rule in Malinga's case, his elbow is never above during the delivery of the ball in a classical bowling stance. His action is sling, which according to the governing body is now permitted.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Speaking of bowling rules.

At lunch on TMS I learnt that you can’t be out if the ball bounces twice from the bowler before you hit it, as it’s now a no ball.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Speaking of bowling rules.

At lunch on TMS I learnt that you can’t be out if the ball bounces twice from the bowler before you hit it, as it’s now a no ball.

Yeh mentioned up thread when I was watching seniors cricket

geocycle

Legendary Member
A solid series win by England against an inexperienced WI. Good performances from a very broad range of players including newcomers Smith, Atkinson and Bashir. I enjoyed the more mature face of Bazbqll and the different roles players are now taking. Root is now more like Root and contributed much more to the team. I liked the way Stokes played in this match when he played the right way in the first innings and again today, he recognises the need to entertain.

PaulSB

Squire
I don't follow cricket. I just popped onto the BBC Sport website to check the footie scores. This is the headline. I had no.idea what sport was involved. Bizarre.
1000015072.jpg

Top Bottom