Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Amazing stat (when you fisrt hear it ...)!!!! In that test ENG only batted once, declaring on 600-something https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_cricket_team_in_England_in_1938#First_Test

So this is their first time scoring 400 in both inningses!

Amazing that they have never managed that before.
Goes to show how English conditions are usually fair to both bat and ball.
But also that scoring rates are so much quicker now.
They scored 1200 runs in just over 3 days.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Also worth bearing in mind, that until relatively recently, scoring rates were such that 3 scores of 400+ would take best part of 4 days, probably more to score (90 overs in a day). The side batting 3rd would also be looking to set a target so if say scored A scored 460, and B replied with 410, team A may well have say declared innings 3 on 350 with a lead of 400 in an attempt to force a result on the final day

So whilst it might sound like an amazing stat, it makes sense that its a rare occurrence.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And Root is just 13 runs behind Lara and just 60 runs from 12,000 on the all time list.
I can’t see him getting to no.1 but no. 2 is a realistic target.
There is fewer that 100 runs between Ponting in 2nd place with 13,378 and Dravid in 4th on 13,288.

newts

Veteran
Amazing stat (when you fisrt hear it ...)!!!! In that test ENG only batted once, declaring on 600-something https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_cricket_team_in_England_in_1938#First_Test

So this is their first time scoring 400 in both inningses!

I'm sure England have scored 400+ in both innings when batting first before at home but you have to ask Andy Zalrzman to check the stats for confirmation😁 How did he even think to look up 3 x 400run ininings
It's non many years ago that 300 runs in day was considered a bit excessive in a test match.

Alex321

Guru
I'm sure England have scored 400+ in both innings when batting first before at home but you have to ask Andy Zalrzman to check the stats for confirmation😁 How did he even think to look up 3 x 400run ininings
It's non many years ago that 300 runs in day was considered a bit excessive in a test match.

It was him who said this was the first time they have ever scored 400+ in both innings.,

newts

Veteran
It was him who said this was the first time they have ever scored 400+ in both innings.,

He said it was only the second time in England at the first 3 innings of a test match were >400 runs? I didn't see any post about it being the first time England had achieved 2 x 400, if its out can someone post a link?
Screenshot_20240721_143857_BBC Sport.jpg

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

I think he’s a great addition to TMS.
He brings the perfect mix of intelligence, humour and knowledge.
It’s what makes TMS such an iconic program.
It never takes itself too seriously.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I was having a post work stroll last night and happened upon a game at the cricket ground over the road, where all the layers seemed to be of an certain age. A few enquiries elicited it was Herts vs Suffolk & Norfolk over 70's county match.

@Salty seadog Your father was playing for England in this category wasn't he I seem to recall?

I watched the last 20 overs with S&N chasing down a modest target of 147 in 40 overs with a couple of overs to spare, but only 2 wickets in hand, indebted to an unbeaten 50 from their No 6 and too many double bounce no-balls from the Herts attack. They closed out with a 3. Both batsmen and fielders were hoping it went for 4, it didn't, it stopped short in front of the pavilion and took the poor chap fielding at mid on quite a while to retreat back to retrieve it, and bayed on by teammates the batsmen had to run / walk 3, before starting the long trudge off.

Indeed he does, he plays for Kent over 60s on a Tuesday, Kent over 70s on a Thursday and turns out for his lifelong club of Bettshanger Colliery Welfare Club on the weekend.

He's vice captain of England over 70s and we are hosting the world Cup kicking off on Sunday to Sri Lanka, then I think India on Tuesday and Pakistan on Thursday. New Zeeland, Australia and Canada are also coming over.

albion

Guru
Last edited:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Talking about Murali as you were earlier, just found this stat table of his test wickets, it says he's the only bowler in test history to have taken 10 match wickets against every other test nation :eek: and his economy rate ain't bad either
1721820885011.png

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Talking about Murali as you were earlier, just found this stat table of his test wickets, it says he's the only bowler in test history to have taken 10 match wickets against every other test nation :eek: and his economy rate ain't bad either
View attachment 738626

I still think he chucked it.
And even if he wasn’t technically a chucker his action was so exaggerated to basically be as good as chucking it.
His success was down to the fact that batsmen had no experience of playing against a similar bowler on very spin friendly pitches.
I rate Warne as a better bowler.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I still think he chucked it.
And even if he wasn’t technically a chucker his action was so exaggerated to basically be as good as chucking it.
His success was down to the fact that batsmen had no experience of playing against a similar bowler on very spin friendly pitches.
I rate Warne as a better bowler.

I agree he had a strange action but nothing as bad as Malinga, his action should have been banned in my eyes.

Top Bottom