Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Hopefully Yorkshire will have this match gone by tea today. We've not had back to innings wins since 2015. If only we had a team like that one now we'd be playing this good every match. If nothing else we'd have coach and captain worth the money.

Looks like Sussex are going to take some stopping this season.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
And another Yorkshire innings victory, we're finally on the move.

tom73

Guru
Well done lads yet again not only 1st back to back innings win since 2015. Not to mention a recored breaking 5th wicket stand and the 431st innings (1st class matchers) win in club history. Well bowled Fernando in the 1st inns and Coad in the 2rd.

tom73

Guru
Only trouble is, there's now a long break in the County Championship for that daft Hundred, doesn't look like we play again until late August. Let's hope we don't lose our momentum.

That's the real problem the ECB can't make it more clear they don't want the long game anymore, if they tried.
The championship won't finish till practically early October it's madness.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Good to see Jimmy Anderson has still got it.

He's an absolute legend. i can see why "they" want to get some new blood bedded in ahead of next ashes tour, but its a bit odd dropping the best bowler in the country!

The break for pyjama cricket is frustrating, Fernando's deal has ended so will have to hope Fisher is fit again when it resumes. Coad will be kicking his heels for the summer after producing a Jimmy-esque performance on his return.

tom73

Guru
He's an absolute legend. i can see why "they" want to get some new blood bedded in ahead of next ashes tour, but its a bit odd dropping the best bowler in the country!

The break for pyjama cricket is frustrating, Fernando's deal has ended so will have to hope Fisher is fit again when it resumes. Coad will be kicking his heels for the summer after producing a Jimmy-esque performance on his return.

Talk is they want Fernando back at some point which may not be a bad move. We've had some pretty medico overseas signings the last few years. You've got to feel for Coad and others who look to be hitting some good form. For it all to be put on hold for the pyjama nonsense. Hopefully they can hold out and keep the good times coming.

I don't believe in retiring athletes just because they're "too old". It's important to have a program of blooding youngsters, but the most succesful teams (in the long term) can make this work without discarding existing talent.

If you're good enough, you're young enough!

Chromatic

Legendary Member
The last wicket fell caught behind by Bracey with a leaping catch in his right hand having already taken his glove off ready to attempt a run-out throw if the batsmen went for it having not hit the ball.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sounds like a hell of a game last night, Glos v Glam. Tied game, 1 run short of a record run chase of 593. :eek:

yes, i saw that, sub 200 first innings scores and circa 600 each in the 2nd. bonkers, and advantage genuinely swung around even in the final over, which Crane managed to fark up really. Having got to needing just 2 at the start of the last over, to then turn down a run early on and then eventually take a single of the 5th and heap pressure on his number 11.....but that's what pressure does.

I recall in a tight game of village cricket, chasing 120 in 20 overs (which was a decent score in those days for evening league) we got down to 19 off 3 overs and my Dad had joined me at the crease, so we must have been about 8 down, if not 9, as he was at the stage of being a professional fielder back then, although he was a good batter in his day. He played at missed at 5 balls (with me well set at the other end), before slog sweeping a 6 of the last ball, leaving me /us with 13 off the final two overs. Unsure of how to play it, I didn't really want to get down to the tension of the final over, nor leave my Dad on strike....cue hitting first ball of the penultimate over, a wide half volley, for 6 over the bowlers head to relieve some pressure, next ball he dug in shorter and I only just cleared the fielder on the long boundary at cow corner (heart in mouth for a couple of seconds) for another 6 to bring up my 50 , and then drove a 4 off the 3rd ball to wrap things up. Was great to walk off with my Dad having brough home victory together.

AndyRM

XOXO

I kind of get it too, but (purely for the sake of sentimentality really) I'd have liked his final Test to be at Old Trafford.

Top Bottom