COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Until recently the government had no plans that it actually owned up to to vaccinate anyone under 50 that didn't fit into group 4 or 6.
As Ajax boy glossed over without mentioning it in another post, the problems with the slow down for second doses and groups 8 and 9 and beyond really comes down to whether you believe the NHS. . . . If we're in the scenario of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s still waiting for first jabs in September that's quite different. And then there's the problem of 14-17 year olds as well.
The plan is very clear. First 4 groups by Feb 15th Done. Rest of vulnerable groups down to age 50 by end of April (in progress). Adults aged 18 to 50 May to August or maybe a little later. It does not appear that there is currently any reason to doubt this timetable things seem to going well.
UK Health-Secretary-pledges
Not quite sure what I glossed over @marinyork but here's an effort to describe the "slow down". Does not depend on "whether you believe the NHS" (I do btw) nor on increasing the vaccination rate beyond current (I suspect supply will be the limiting factor in practice btw),- but obviously any increased rate is a bonus.
I have plotted the vaccine rollout, taking into account the need to give everyone a second jab at 12 weeks, using the gov.uk daily data (@ 14 Feb): assumes sustained 427k per day (= 3Mpw) vaccination (dose) rate.
1613503235395.png

Key amounts (assumes 100% take-up which won't happen, regrettably) are:
Gps 1-4 = 15M
Gps 5-9 = 32M (maybe 33M after the extra 825k announced as being moved into Gp 6 today)
39M total adding over 40s (= 5.4M (8.4 less 3M guess for all those already done in Gps 2, 4, 6))
46M total adding over 30s (=6.9M (8.9 less 2M guess for all those already done in Gps 2, 4, 6))
From graph: Over 30s should all have received/been offered first jab by early August and, extrapolating, the over 18s should all have received/been offered first jab by end August.
The population of UK is 67M. 63M over 4 years old. 80% of that is 50M. The percentage needed for herd immunity will be dependent on a number of factors.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Well its been an interesting 24 hours ...
About 1900hrs last night i had a coughing fit, coughing and coughing ... i went into a fugue (?) semi conscious but unresponsive, my right hand becoming claw like..
I was un responsive for nearly 20 seconds and have no recollection of the event. 999 called and 2 paramedics arrived did all the stickers on the chest thing and thought i had suffered a TIA (mini-stroke) .... Parked up for 2 hours in the carpark of A&E then in for more tests .... Top Staff.
0200hrs i get a covid test ...

Seems that the covid inspired coughing fit had led to an artery in my neck becoming restricted stopping / reducing blood flow to my brain. I have an embedded loop recorder installed in my chest which showed the atrial ectopic event. Whatever that means.
So after contact with 19 members of hospital staff they let me know i tested positive ...
So home now, feeling rough, covid positive and spending 72 hours resting while my artery sorts itself out.

Which is slightly annoying as i was due my jab in the morning ....
smile.png

About 1900hrs last night i had a coughing fit, coughing and coughing ... i went into a fugue (?) semi conscious but unresponsive, my right hand becoming claw like..
I was un responsive for nearly 20 seconds and have no recollection of the event. 999 called and 2 paramedics arrived did all the stickers on the chest thing and thought i had suffered a TIA (mini-stroke) .... Parked up for 2 hours in the carpark of A&E then in for more tests .... Top Staff.

Seems that the covid inspired coughing fit had led to an artery in my neck becoming restricted stopping / reducing blood flow to my brain. I have an embedded loop recorder installed in my chest which showed the atrial ectopic event. Whatever that means.
So after contact with 19 members of hospital staff they let me know i tested positive ...
So home now, feeling rough, covid positive and spending 72 hours resting while my artery sorts itself out.

Which is slightly annoying as i was due my jab in the morning .... View attachment 574285
Sounds rough. good job the paramedics got to you.look after yourself mate.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Which is slightly annoying as i was due my jab in the morning .... View attachment 574285
Get well soon !!

lane

Veteran
Advised, there is no compulsion.

My parents - coincidentally - just received an email telling them to shield to the end of March - they have been vaccinated. Given the restrictions currently in place not sure impacts them really.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
At the end of the day, if someone else chooses, for whatever reason, not to have the vaccine that's up to them. Even if it's because they believe the conspiracy theories and think the government wants to inject them with a microchip. Whatever the reason, its their right to say either yes or no, and it's no business of yours or anyone else's. You make your own decisions, don't poke your nose into other peoples decisions.
It's the typical busybody Remainer attitude from 2016 all over again, where one group of people think everyone who doesn't agree with them must be stupid and need to be lectured about how they should think or act.
I don't know your reasons for rejecting the virus or being so dismissive of others; but herd immunity is everyone's business.

lane

Veteran
The government is sitting on a vast supply of hundreds of millions of quick turnaround lateral flow tests bought as part of the previously aborted Operation Moonshot, a mass testing scheme championed by Dominic Cummings, the prime minister’s former chief adviser. Those tests, however, were found to be inaccurate as much as 60% of the time.

The latest scheme will involve children, their parents and their support bubbles being offered tests twice a week once schools reopen in March, with a similar policy intended for teachers and close contacts. Including existing tests for people who have to leave home for work, the plan will mean about 68% of England’s population is eligible for repeated rapid testing, the Times said, citing a government document.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-part-of-england-lockdown-easing-report-says

Top Bottom