COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Well that was a bit of a surprise. Called the Doctor back expecting the asthma clinic and turns out to be a booking for the vaccine at 5.30pm today. Apparently I am classed as clinically vulnerable; not sure why as I just use my inhalers which as we know doesn't count. However I was admitted to hospital as a child for asthma one time which was a long time ago, so not sure if that counts and also had a course of oral steroids, probably 7 years ago when I had pleurisy so not sure if that is that is the reason. Anyway certainly didn't query it, very pleased to be getting the vaccine. Booked in for second dose on the 4th May.

From what I hear and read, now that the first blanket phase of vaccinating the elderly and highly vulnerable is all but over, GP's are able to use discretion wrt people on their lists.

Sounds like you are part of that.

Julia9054

Guru
From what I hear and read, now that the first blanket phase of vaccinating the elderly and highly vulnerable is all but over, GP's are able to use discretion wrt people on their lists.

Sounds like you are part of that.
So . . . bit of a lottery who gets chosen then. Someone with exactly the same medical history may not if they are reg with a different GP

vickster

Legendary Member
So . . . bit of a lottery who gets chosen then. Someone with exactly the same medical history may not if they are reg with a different GP
Maybe depends on the size of practice/ demographic spread?
You could discuss with your Dr? But if you’re over 50 hopefully won’t be too long a wait regardless?

Julia9054

Guru
Maybe depends on the size of practice/ demographic spread?
You could discuss with your Dr? But if you’re over 50 hopefully won’t be too long a wait regardless?
Not too bothered personally. I am 53 and if our area has got down to inviting 57 year olds I shouldn't have to wait too long.
Would be a bit more pissed off if I was under 50 though !

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Not too bothered personally. I am 53 and if our area has got down to inviting 57 year olds I shouldn't have to wait too long.
Would be a bit more pissed off if I was under 50 though !

Until recently the government had no plans that it actually owned up to to vaccinate anyone under 50 that didn't fit into group 4 or 6.

As Ajax boy glossed over without mentioning it in another post, the problems with the slow down for second doses and groups 8 and 9 and beyond really comes down to whether you believe the NHS. Yesterday's vague promises from Simon Stevens is that they'll be able to ramp up from 400,000 doses a day average to 1,000,000 doses a day sustained average. This isn't immediate, it's vaguely said by this may be around April or May. If that happens it's not so much of a biggie. If we're in the scenario of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s still waiting for first jabs in September that's quite different. And then there's the problem of 14-17 year olds as well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Soon be available on ebay and amazon!
What do you mean "soon"? Big bad A have been selling them for ages: Amazon product ASIN View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=vaccination+certificate

lane

Veteran
I thought the plan was all adults (over 18 by the autumn). Government have delivered what they have promised so far.

Then as soon as that is done we will need to have the updated vaccine for the variants - so will be ongoing non stop vaccinations for the foreseeable future.

PK99

Legendary Member

Earlier, pushing some people (Asthma) up the list meant using high priority people (Age, clinically very vulnerable eg cancer) down the list.

Now as I read it, there is more flexibility to identify different priority criteria on a more localised and personalised basis.

Earlier it was blanket and easy. Now more nuanced, but surely better now that the highest priority groups have been dealt with?

I have had a long history (since my 40's) of recurrent, difficult-to-treat chest infections. I did not fall into the very vulnerable or shielding groups but my GP advised extreme caution and effectively advised me to Shield - I suspect she would have bumped me up the list as soon as she was able. As it is, other recent issues formally bumped me up into the top tiers and I had my jab earlier than my age cohort.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I thought the plan was all adults (over 18 by the autumn). Government have delivered what they have promised so far.

Then as soon as that is done we will need to have the updated vaccine for the variants - so will be ongoing non stop vaccinations for the foreseeable future.

None of that is new, but current vaccines should offer some cross-immunity to the new variants that are already here. How low cases are going into summer and numbers of vaccinations done will make a gigantic difference that won't be noticeable for some time to how things play out over the next six months. I'm not of the view at all that we can get cases to 5000 per day, 25% of the population done and release and cross our fingers.

I don't think you'd be very happy if you had to wait till September or October though!

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

I've seen no confirmation of any of that yet.

Top Bottom