COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Hot a call from the surgery when I was out on my bike. Got to call back tomorrow but fairly sure it will be the asthma review.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
People aren't out celebrating in the streets because they know perfectly well this is just the start and a slowdown will come with jab 2. Maybe this can be mitigated a bit with better supply and other things in the pipeline. We're still not doing sustained 2 million first jabs a week and 2 million second jabs a week it has to be noted. It's above 2 million as it's been halfs. If 4 million in total a week can be done sustained then the sort of sunny happy uplands people are talking about out there will be a little closer.

The recent UK infection numbers look very encouraging; under 9,800 cases today, yesterday was just under 11,000 IIRC. Hospitalisations declining steadily, and the deaths are pretty low now as well. Its dropping pretty quickly, which suggests either the virus is really slowing down a lot, or that the people who are now getting infected aren't being made ill enough to even bother with getting a virus test to confirm what they've got.
The strategy of giving as many first doses as possible before worrying about the second doses makes a lot of sense. You don't need to gold plate the vaccination programme, you just need enough people to have sufficient immunity to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed with virus cases. On the face of it, even with only a quarter of the population having a degree of immunity, plus those immune through having already actually had the virus itself, we are now seeing a significant reduction in transmission. The true number of infections will be way more than the official 4 million, especially in the early days with virtually no testing being done, so it's quite possible we now have as many immune through previous infection as we have through vaccination, so getting on for half the population already.

lane

Veteran
The recent UK infection numbers look very encouraging; under 9,800 cases today, yesterday was just under 11,000 IIRC. Hospitalisations declining steadily, and the deaths are pretty low now as well. Its dropping pretty quickly, which suggests either the virus is really slowing down a lot, or that the people who are now getting infected aren't being made ill enough to even bother with getting a virus test to confirm what they've got.
The strategy of giving as many first doses as possible before worrying about the second doses makes a lot of sense. You don't need to gold plate the vaccination programme, you just need enough people to have sufficient immunity to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed with virus cases. On the face of it, even with only a quarter of the population having a degree of immunity, plus those immune through having already actually had the virus itself, we are now seeing a significant reduction in transmission. The true number of infections will be way more than the official 4 million, especially in the early days with virtually no testing being done, so it's quite possible we now have as many immune through previous infection as we have through vaccination, so getting on for half the population already.

The scientists will respectfully disagree with your analysis but, hey, what do they know.

And the mask wearing, social distancing (where it's being don't).

I've seen the town centre with more activity at 02:00 than I have at 1400 of late.

Talking to someone laid off at Wetherspoons, last year, they are considering proof of vaccination and/or negative test result if you want to be served.
Do you get a "proof of vaccination"?

:laugh:
Oooh the gammon Brexiteers won’t like that:laugh:
you think that describes folk who wander into a spoons?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Wow, that was a rough night after my first jab yesterday of the AZ vaccine.
Woke up at midnight with a temperature and feeling like I had been hit by a bus. Paracetamol taken which helped matters and 24 hours after the jab, my body now seems to be just suffering from a lack of sleep.
On the other hand, it's better than a longer stay in an ICU, or worse.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
He’s only 36 and was rather surprised to be invited

A number of people will have been bumped in. This will be seen a lot more over the coming weeks on a fairly large scale when doing the whole of group 6.

The difficulties in deciding on group 6 applies equally for carers as several people have said and the 'severely mentally ill' rather vaguely defined as 'severe functional impairment' are also going to potentially be controversial to the public. The latter category there's a lot more to the matter which Chris Whitty sort of made a hint to at today's press conference. I don't want to go into it too much but there have been all sorts of very bad things happening the last year like Psychological Intensive Care Units shut down temporarily, issues in A&E, outbreaks at crisis services. Vaccinating staff, possibly volunteers but now some of the patients is extremely welcome. The public might not like it though.

lane

Veteran
Well that was a bit of a surprise. Called the Doctor back expecting the asthma clinic and turns out to be a booking for the vaccine at 5.30pm today. Apparently I am classed as clinically vulnerable; not sure why as I just use my inhalers which as we know doesn't count. However I was admitted to hospital as a child for asthma one time which was a long time ago, so not sure if that counts and also had a course of oral steroids, probably 7 years ago when I had pleurisy so not sure if that is that is the reason. Anyway certainly didn't query it, very pleased to be getting the vaccine. Booked in for second dose on the 4th May.

Top Bottom