Courier employees??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
Pleased your getting replacement.

Everybody wants things yesterday at the cheapest price possible. When it comes to the delivery, rather than pay a realistic price - and a realistic wage to a professional courier - it's a race to the bottom. Big Eric with his Astra estate crammed full of your expensive goodies is cheap...but....

i think my guy was agency or sub contracted

toffee

Guru
As a Royal Mail employee....

The standards are completely different for RM compared to the couriers out there.

Are they?

They left my parcel under the door mat the other day in full view of the street. My daughter just avoided standing on it when she left the house. The didn't bother knocking.

Derek

MarkF

Guru
I did some temp work for RM some years ago - in my bag of mail were loads of 'sorry you were out cards' pre-addressed - I just delivered them with the rest of the mail - no attempt was made to deliver the parcels
Also, at the beginning I was paid for the hours I worked delivering mail, but it didn't take long before they started paying me for the hours they thought it should have taken me to deliver the mail e.g I spent 5 hours delivering mail - they paid me 3 hours! So I quit!

The RM left a "Sorry you werre out" card card last week for my son, he took time off work to go to the parcel collection office the following day as the card instructed him to do, this is 1970's a set-up where the staff seem to be as slow as possible. Anyway.........the parcel had been left 2 doors away with neighbour.

Gert Lush

I did some temp work for RM some years ago - in my bag of mail were loads of 'sorry you were out cards' pre-addressed - I just delivered them with the rest of the mail - no attempt was made to deliver the parcels
Also, at the beginning I was paid for the hours I worked delivering mail, but it didn't take long before they started paying me for the hours they thought it should have taken me to deliver the mail e.g I spent 5 hours delivering mail - they paid me 3 hours! So I quit!

Things have changed since then I imagine. The only time you can pre-write a p739 (the red ones) card are when the house either uses call and collect or you aren't allowed to knock on the door because of either aggressive dog/person.

I'd have quit too but in my office that doesn't happen, you get paid until your time whether you finish then or not.

Are they?

They left my parcel under the door mat the other day in full view of the street. My daughter just avoided standing on it when she left the house. The didn't bother knocking.

Derek

Let me change what I said because I'm only me, not the postman for everywhere. 'The standards are completely different in my office.' If I'd done that, I'd get at least a bollocking and if I'd done it more than once or twice, I'd probably get sacked.

The way to solve these things are to make a complaint, the postman won't do it again. Unless they're stupid, which wouldn't surprise me :smile:

Just don't complain that your post is wet when it's been raining. Nothing can stop that and there are frequent complaints about that.

Edit: I feel even saying 'in my office' is probably not the best because there are some people in there who want to rush through and maybe do these things. So I'm going to minimise these things down to me. I wouldn't do it and it's against the rules for other people to do it and if they do then a complaint should be made. Even if it gets 'em in the shoot.

Last edited:

Gert Lush

The RM left a "Sorry you werre out" card card last week for my son, he took time off work to go to the parcel collection office the following day as the card instructed him to do, this is 1970's a set-up where the staff seem to be as slow as possible. Anyway.........the parcel had been left 2 doors away with neighbour.

That happens a lot unfortunately. 50/50 who's mistake it was. Sometimes the postman forgets to tick the left with neighbour box and sometimes the customer doesn't read it properly.

classic33

Leg End Member
That happens a lot unfortunately. 50/50 who's mistake it was. Sometimes the postman forgets to tick the left with neighbour box and sometimes the customer doesn't read it properly.
I'd prefer them to at least try to knock. A "missed parcel" is now a 40 mile round trip when the Royal Mail can't be bothered trying to deliver. The card is so much lighter and easier carry from the van than the actual parcel.

Who pays for my time wasted, waiting on a card saying they were unable to deliver, because I wasn't in?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As a city boy, who works for a living, I think it'd be a lot easier (for me), if they didn't bother delivering at all, but just pinged you an email saying "it's at the depot" - and keep the depot open till, I don't know 9pm or whatever. More convenient for the customer, and a good bit cheaper for the couriers I dare say.

Fair enough, you still need home delivery for a 3 piece suite / ton of bricks or whatever, but for normal size parcels,home delivery per se is not that useful a thing for many people.

One snag with couriers generally, is that their customers are the sellers not the recipients, so all the nuisance at the receipt end doesn't really figure in the transaction. One of them, I think UPS was a huge nuisance to deal with as the nearest depot to Bristol was supposedly Birmingham, and as a working man I can hardly take a half day to await delivery of a modest parcel.

Reactions: mjr

Gert Lush

I'd prefer them to at least try to knock. A "missed parcel" is now a 40 mile round trip when the Royal Mail can't be bothered trying to deliver. The card is so much lighter and easier carry from the van than the actual parcel.

Who pays for my time wasted, waiting on a card saying they were unable to deliver, because I wasn't in?

But why would they take it out to not deliver it? I don't know if you live in a rural location where it's different but if I have to carry your parcel in the bag while I deliver 100-200 houses for one loop then why would I not try and deliver it? Honestly I want people to be in because it makes my bag lighter and easier to carry. Also, 90% of parcel are now needing a doorstep scan so they are all 'trackable'. If you postman/woman is constantly not delivering then they will know due to his amount of undelivered parcels.

No one will pay you for your time sadly. But if you ring up, you can ask for a redelivery so negating the need for you to do the 40mile round trip. You do not need to go to the office to collect it. With that option you have, I think, 18 days from first delivery attempt to collect it so you can have as many redeliverys within 18 days as you want before they return it to sender.

Again, these things shouldn't be happening so if you can prove that they are not actually knocking or evening bringing you the parcel, make a complaint. Stop it from happening. No point sitting there letting it happen and wanting it to change.

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
Parcel contained something bought on here. Van pulled up outside, driver got out, card in hand. Card through the letterbox, no attempt made to either press the bell or knock. My only alert was the dog going nuts as he shut the gate on his way out.
Parcel had to be picked up in Leeds, local sorting office having closed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha - an Amazon courier yesterday claims to have delivered my parcel to a non-existent neighbour! Well, the neighbour might exist but the address that he is supposed to live at does not so I am having a problem finding which neighbour it is!

Oh, and I was in all day waiting for the parcel, a few feet from the front door. The courier did NOT come to the door ...
Mystery solved ... the courier delivered the parcel to a 'neighbour' - yeah, right, since when is someone living more than a hundred metres away down a side street a neighbour! The man from that house came round and knocked on my door just now.

(The email notification about leaving the parcel at the neighbour's house did not mention the name of the street, just a house number, so I naturally assumed that it was nearby on THIS street! :wacko:)

mustang1

Legendary Member
Why would you supply, if not to a demand.?

Supply and demand, first rule of retail..second rule, never talk about retail.

Well this is what you wrote:
Do you not think that we are all being far too demanding

And now you're writing

So idk what you mean.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well this is what you wrote:
Do you not think that we are all being far too demanding

And now you're writing

So idk what you mean.
Yes, that's right, you are suggesting its the suppliers fault, I suggest it's the demand. If we didn't demand it, they wouldn't supply it.

Gert Lush

Parcel contained something bought on here. Van pulled up outside, driver got out, card in hand. Card through the letterbox, no attempt made to either press the bell or knock. My only alert was the dog going nuts as he shut the gate on his way out.
Parcel had to be picked up in Leeds, local sorting office having closed.

I don't understand how you know that happened if you had no alert apart from the dog? If you saw him get out why didn't you go to the door and if you didn't you can't prove that he didn't do it? Not saying it didn't happen but sounds odd from the way you wrote it. Did you make a complaint?

As in closed down? Or closed for the day? I don't get why it would go back to a different office. Maybe things happen different up north.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't understand how you know that happened if you had no alert apart from the dog? If you saw him get out why didn't you go to the door and if you didn't you can't prove that he didn't do it? Not saying it didn't happen but sounds odd from the way you wrote it. Did you make a complaint?

As in closed down? Or closed for the day? I don't get why it would go back to a different office. Maybe things happen different up north.
Only saw him leaving, not arriving. Straight into the drivers seat of the van, no-where near the back of it.

Top Bottom