Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran CC Arran Cycle - Sat 6th July 2013

Which Route will you do?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
You should have done the climb then had a bite to eat in dollar, good number of cafes on the main road....

Had a banana at the bridge then again at sterling mills, had a gel before i tackled the hill, was going to stop for something proper but decided to push on instead, doesnt help the road to muckart isnt exactly flat :laugh:

Seamab

I think i went off too fast aswell, although my first hour was flat i still done an 16.8 avg speed which is a good bit more than i can really cope with, i think its fine if i was just doing my usual 40 mile route but i wanted to do about 80 on saturday

No wonder you were knackered Colin. I went up the Gloom Hill (Castle Campbell) climb today to remind myself how hard it is - and it's seriously hard (and that was with fresh legs). Kudos for getting up. I'm not expecting anything remotely like this on Arran.The worst part of it is easily 25%+ gradient.

It's just so steep that you can't stay aerobic unless you have unusually large gearing. My back wheel was slipping at the worst points.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
My wheels were slipping too, wasnt even a good descent because its so steep and cars do use that road, i dont think my lowest gear is as low as it is on my hybrid either, could be me talking rubbish though

Dave Crampton

Sorry if I'm repeating anyone here but on the Port Navigation round Mull last month the organisor asked riders to take a strap to secure their bikes on the Ferry. It was usefull as the middle of the ferry where bikes are normally stored (with its own bungies) only holds ~3 bikes so we were left tieing them up at the back nr the veh doors. The straps prevented bikes falling over on the crossing.

Dave C

edindave

Über Member
Sorry if I'm repeating anyone here but on the Port Navigation round Mull last month the organisor asked riders to take a strap to secure their bikes on the Ferry. It was usefull as the middle of the ferry where bikes are normally stored (with its own bungies) only holds ~3 bikes so we were left tieing them up at the back nr the veh doors. The straps prevented bikes falling over on the crossing.

Dave C

Can you take rollers instead of straps? :crazy:

The only time I've been on the ferry the bikes were stacked up about 3 deep on both sides and both ends of the car deck, tied together with ropes.

Fubar

Guru

Dave C

Cheers, I'm sure I have some bungees in the garage, will try to remember and look them out nearer the time.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Looks like I'm now 99% certain for this, can't wait now :smile:

I'm sure I've got a bungee rope I can bring along too.

I'd say I'm 99% for this too... I'm going to Skye for a couple of days for a wedding the weekend after, so looking forward to two weekends of island cycling! I won't be cycling the 'whole' way round Skye though! (I'm staying in Portree, so just planning a loop round the Northern part I think, unless anyone knows good routes to do starting from there)

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I'd say I'm 99% for this too... I'm going to Skye for a couple of days for a wedding the weekend after, so looking forward to two weekends of island cycling! I won't be cycling the 'whole' way round Skye though! (I'm staying in Portree, so just planning a loop round the Northern part I think, unless anyone knows good routes to do starting from there)

Good to have you along :thumbsup:

Attending
1.Col5632
2.Edwardoka
3.Rasmus
4.Tug Benson
5.Jazloc
6.Edindave
7.Louch
8.Clockhammer
9.Fubar
10.GBC
11.The Cappuccino Kid
12.Seamab
13.Harry_Palmer79
14.MikeW-71

Maybe Attending
1.Fuzzball
2.Mr Messy

Rasmus

Without a clever title

The loop north from Portree is amazing as far as Uig, where you have to get on the main A87. I've unfortunately only been there in a car - really need to get back there with a bike one day...

zizou

Veteran
Was over today still £2 for parking and £1 for the lockers. The closed section at Blackwaterfoot is passable by bike

Bad news about the String - the top part of the descent (the fast part) is in an awful state after last winter and i wouldnt recommend going down fast until it is repaired. There are some new sections of tarmac elsewhere on the road so it might be in line for repair but i dont know.

zizou

Veteran
Cheers for the info @zizou. Shame to hear about the poor road surface.
In which direction is the String Road descent bad? Our route tackles it east to west.

You will be alright then as it was west to east i went. Will be a few rough bits but there are some sections of new tarmac too plus some diggers etc at the side so i hope there are more improvements to come!

Top Bottom