Cat microchipping now mandatory for ALL cats in England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you find any cat without a chip put it down.. there's too many cats in the UK as it is! :gun:

if there is any karma, you'll be eaten by an escaped lion....

.....or if there is, it will be some little old lady who's cat wasn't bothering anyone.
1718185777959.gif

Ps I like cats, apart from when they dig up my plants for a dump lol

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our last cat actually belonged to a neighbour but while she fed him he preferred our company. When she moved into a care home the cat feeding moved to us as he could not go with her.
If chipped the owner lived 20 miles away from where the cat lived until she died. Who was responsible for the cat?

icowden

Veteran
Our last cat actually belonged to a neighbour but while she fed him he preferred our company. When she moved into a care home the cat feeding moved to us as he could not go with her.
If chipped the owner lived 20 miles away from where the cat lived until she died. Who was responsible for the cat?
She was until you took on responsibility. At that point ideally you would update the chip.

I was going to post that rather than mandatory chipping I'd like to see a mandatory cork up the arse law for the little bags of crap that are constantly messing up my garden.

Hehe I actually have a bigger problem with Squirrels burying their nuts and digging them back up, at least cats only bury the stuff and don't dig it all up again later !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hehe I actually have a bigger problem with Squirrels burying their nuts and digging them back up, at least cats only bury the stuff and don't dig it all up again later !

to be fair I've not heard of any species that does actually dig up its own 💩 again after burying it?

We don't have cat problems. We have terrier! Next door a patterdale, ours is a border and the other side have two field cocker spaniels that are truly country dogs for shooting use. Any cats in the neighbourhood seem to cross the road to walk on the parallel private road that is behind a high and dense beech hedge. They go right out of their way to avoid being seen!! I love it!! They really are scared of our section of the road.

Although the first year in our house we got a couple of visitors. They quickly understood the situation after we let our dog out. We even had a fox visit once but only in our first two months. Now if any cat or fox visits us it is middle of the night when even the dog is asleep. They certainly do not leave anything behind.

One benefit of cats avoiding our garden is we have seen quite a few small mammals in the neighbourhood. Mice, shrews and voles. I much prefer them to cats.

Although I always say hello to cats we meet in the village. I'm very cat friendly. Especially when dog walking!:evil:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We don't have cat problems. We have terrier! Next door a patterdale, ours is a border and the other side have two field cocker spaniels that are truly country dogs for shooting use. Any cats in the neighbourhood seem to cross the road to walk on the parallel private road that is behind a high and dense beech hedge. They go right out of their way to avoid being seen!! I love it!! They really are scared of our section of the road.

Although the first year in our house we got a couple of visitors. They quickly understood the situation after we let our dog out. We even had a fox visit once but only in our first two months. Now if any cat or fox visits us it is middle of the night when even the dog is asleep. They certainly do not leave anything behind.

One benefit of cats avoiding our garden is we have seen quite a few small mammals in the neighbourhood. Mice, shrews and voles. I much prefer them to cats.

Although I always say hello to cats we meet in the village. I'm very cat friendly. Especially when dog walking!:evil:

My sister's Border Terrier is getting on in years now, but in her prime had a very advanced killing instinct. Any rabbits who made it past the anti-rabbit fencing were doomed.

Slick

Guru
I was going to post that rather than mandatory chipping I'd like to see a mandatory cork up the arse law for the little bags of crap that are constantly messing up my garden.

That's how I ended up with 3 cats, as Mrs Slick tried everything to keep them away from her garden all to no avail. One day we just gave up and discovered that he was actually a cracking old man, so we befriended him, and he immediately stopped messing his garden and kept the competition away. :okay:

That's how I ended up with 3 cats, as Mrs Slick tried everything to keep them away from her garden all to no avail. One day we just gave up and discovered that he was actually a cracking old man, so we befriended him, and he immediately stopped messing his garden and kept the competition away. :okay:

My grandad used his natural sporting abilities, especially cricket bowling and flat green bowling. He was a very accurate thrower of stones! Mind you, someone bought him a catapult and frozen peas as a joke. First time he used it he put his greenhouse window through! Better with stones!! He also used really vicious climbers on the fences cats used to get into the garden. They had really long and sharp thorns that if you got scratched with them they got infected and you were stuck with red wealds that took some time to go and left scars for a few months afterwards.

Another grandard nailed 6" nails all the way along a baton of wood. Then he nailed it with the points skyward onto the tops of his fences the cats used. I watched one persistent cat trying to walk along the fence. It got so far then gave up and jumped down. The issue was both sides of the fence had dogs that liked to be outside!! They stopped having cat issues.

Can I just point out that I am an animal lover and I do kind of like cats? It's just that they are the only pets that go where they want and go where they want (outside of their own garden usually). So IMHO that makes them harder to truly love. I do not wish them harm but I do see why people try to keep them out of their own gardens.

Slick

Guru
My grandad used his natural sporting abilities, especially cricket bowling and flat green bowling. He was a very accurate thrower of stones! Mind you, someone bought him a catapult and frozen peas as a joke. First time he used it he put his greenhouse window through! Better with stones!! He also used really vicious climbers on the fences cats used to get into the garden. They had really long and sharp thorns that if you got scratched with them they got infected and you were stuck with red wealds that took some time to go and left scars for a few months afterwards.

Another grandard nailed 6" nails all the way along a baton of wood. Then he nailed it with the points skyward onto the tops of his fences the cats used. I watched one persistent cat trying to walk along the fence. It got so far then gave up and jumped down. The issue was both sides of the fence had dogs that liked to be outside!! They stopped having cat issues.

Can I just point out that I am an animal lover and I do kind of like cats? It's just that they are the only pets that go where they want and go where they want (outside of their own garden usually). So IMHO that makes them harder to truly love. I do not wish them harm but I do see why people try to keep them out of their own gardens.

So do I, but I am not cruel and I certainly couldn't hurt a poor animal by throwing stones at it.

Another couple of lines in the why my cats are indoors only column.

So do I, but I am not cruel and I certainly couldn't hurt a poor animal by throwing stones at it.

Another couple of lines in the why my cats are indoors only column.

Whilst he could hit them he often didn't need to. Those cats knew he was there before he knew they were. If they hesitated they got a shout and a stone across their bows so to speak.

Since he was retired and spent mornings in the garden, then lunch, then afternoon of cricket on TV, then dinner and after that time in the garden. If no cricket on TV he was in the garden except when eating. Which means most cats knew he'd be around and made sure they weren't. Cats aren't daft and know when it's just not worth it!

Top Bottom