A world without Internet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The internet is a very useful tool - you've a whole world's worth of libraries, articles, encyclopaedias, dictionaries, thesauruses, documentaries, podcasts and image archives at your fingertips.

Earlier this year, I spent several weeks delving into the material in the IMechE archive to cross-check stuff whilst identifying and cataloguing a collection of engineering drawings. I could do it from the comfort of my own armchair and at my own pace, which beats having to trot down to IMechE HQ in Albemarle Street.

OTOH, if the internet goes off (as it often does here in the boonies when it's blowing a hoolie), then I've still got plenty of books, art and craft stuff and as a writer, there's always something that wants writing LOL!

If the electric goes down, then I've a good old-fashioned typewriter. And failing that, pens and paper.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We did as youngsters. I well remember the many power cuts and candles in the house.

Yep me too but we were lucky in that we had a gas fire in the living/dining room and a Coal fire in the front room. A gas cooker so tea/coffee/meals weren't affected and a big old Roberts radio that used a gigantic 9v battery that lasted for months whereas friends/family with central heating and electric ovens/kettles were really stuffed. I remember Dad lending my Uncle (his BiL) the old parafin camping stove he'd had since his scout days so they could have a cuppa and us having so many visitors to our 'relatively' un-modernised house.

Omg, on the step??!?

We had 'the chunky submarine' at my school; an unflushable stool which caused endless embarrassment to the poor lad who had deposited it. How he was identified, i never knew.

I have a similar tale but at my old place of work. I'm too polite to go into details though.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I guess I'm going to find out. My laptop won't do anything, some form of error on starting and says I need to load something or other. Taking it in later today to see what they have to say. :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
Omg, on the step??!?

We had 'the chunky submarine' at my school; an unflushable stool which caused endless embarrassment to the poor lad who had deposited it. How he was identified, i never knew.

Occasionally in days of yore (before DNA testing) disgruntled bobbies would lay an egg on the Supernintendo's desk. This usually happened when the Supernintendo wasn't present.

Among those of us who were CBRN trained it was known as "dropping a dirty bomb."

Last edited:

presta

Guru
The internet is a very useful tool - you've a whole world's worth of libraries, articles, encyclopaedias, dictionaries, thesauruses, documentaries, podcasts and image archives at your fingertips.

Sometimes it is, other times you just get frustrated by one paywall after another.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

And that’s only a small subset of the Internet called the web. Tonnes of other Internet stuff happening to run things that’s nothing to do with web.

Sometimes it is, other times you just get frustrated by one paywall after another.

Putting my researcher and archivist's hat on, yes, paywalls are a pain - as I discovered recently when trying to identify the original source for a particular article. But there's still more than enough free stuff out there to help narrow things down if need be. Oddly enough, the Bay of E is actually a really good source of free information (particularly magazine back issues) if need be.

And that’s only a small subset of the Internet called the web. Tonnes of other Internet stuff happening to run things that’s nothing to do with web.

Indeed - it's all sorts of things to all sorts of people.

markemark

Über Member

Paid for content is still useful, in fact often more so. Not finding everything you need for free shouldn't really be a criticism, particularly if there are costs in creating the content.

People hark back to "The old days, when life was simple". It wasn't, it was at least as complicated as it is today but in a different way. Good luck if you wanted to make a phone call when you were out and you could find a box that wasn't out of order, hadn't been vandalised or stunk of piss. And if you could it had a queue outside it. Spending half the day looking for a shop that had what you wanted or filling in an order form, sending it off and waiting 28 days for delivery.

I wouldn't go back.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As a foot passenger you can just walk up pay there and then, and get on the ferry. Car you only risk it being booked up, but again you can just turn up.

We use the web as it is convenient and brings certainty. But ringing up or just turning up (without booking in advance) still works for many things

On Calmac ferries it varies but the main ferries you certainly have to book. Passenger numbers are restricted and if not booked you risk not getting on. For cars you will certainly not get on in summer and may have a long wait.

presta

Guru
Paid for content is still useful
It is, but you need to be able to read it to find out whether it's any use. I could request papers from the library for £1, but it's annoying to wait 3 weeks then find it's no help. (Essex Library requests had gone up to £7 last time I checked, but it seems they're back down to £1.25 now.)

Top Bottom