A world without Internet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Academic. I've had a few occasions when the abstract has looked promising, then the full text been disappointing.

Access varies a lot by publisher, the European Society of Cardiology are generous, most of their papers are open, but Elsevier and Taylor & Francis less so.

Hah, yes, well... Jazzing up abstracts to get more people reading a paper is nothing new. At least with the older stuff, you can usually cross-check with other papers and textbooks.

I can't say I've had over many issues accessing stuff in the past, but I've been out of my field (strength of materials / composites / vehicle impact) for a few years now, so not sure what the current access is like.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I really get annoyed when he has a meal with us and eat with his tablet in front of him.
My father used to read his newspaper at the dinner table, only grunting monosyllables when wanting something passed over.
All fathers I knew did the same thing.
Of course, I wasn't allowed to bring a book at the table!
Oh jeez! I was born in the 70s and being dumped on the kid's table with no interaction with the patents was simply standard practise when family or friends got together with their families
Same here lol, us older kids had to watch the younger ones too, what a pita.
Poor timing for some when the Virgin Media broadband and TV service died in our street earlier this week.
Who knew a soccerball match was so important?
When I was young, growing up in Italy, all the guys carried a small radio when out on the Sunday family stroll, to listen to the football match.
No doubt, nowadays the watch/listen to it on their phones when out an about.
Games consoles were available when we were kids. You were not allowed to be on them for long periods.
We had one of the first Atari.
My father was the one that played on it more than us kids.

To me, the internet is the best thing ever: I wish I had it when I was a kid, could have read all the books I wanted instead of begging for a library card, then finding out that the library was only open during school hours, so I could not go!
I could have kept contact with my family abroad, I would have been more streetwise when I finally left home.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It was around when you were a kid. Just that most of us didn’t have it at home and school‘s had access locked it away in computer rooms. Plus it was quite slow back then although books being text would be fine.
lol, I can assure you the small Italian nuns run primary I was attending in the late 60's didn't have a computer.
Never had computer rooms when I was at school.
Neither did we.
Could be that banks, universities, some government offices had them, but I really don't know.
Oh they weren’t mandatory back then. You had to express interest. Show some initiative.
Maybe so in the UK.
Or maybe you are a bit younger than @Drago?
I know I'm quite a bit older than him! ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I could have had a computer in 1974 (a console IBM machine) they were scrapping them where my Dad worked (English Electric/GEC) but I didn't want it, no use for a 12yr old into cycling and music (I'd got my own record player by then bought from my wages as a Co-op delivery bike rider) and had access to my cousins Carlton Clubman as well as my own 26" wheel roadster with 3 speed SA and Cowhorns (my cousin had passed his test and had a Mk2 Cortina as well as a Vespa)
What use was a computer to me back then unless I wanted to catalogue my bogey collection so Dad took it back to work and chucked it on the scrapheap

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Computers were only just appearing in schools as I left. Anything I know about computers has all just been self learned.

My main miss if there was no internet would be for streaming tv. I have a sky stream puck for all my telly watching now, both live and catch up. I’m sure I could live without the likes of Facebook no problem.

Top Bottom