A world without Internet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
On Calmac ferries it varies but the main ferries you certainly have to book. Passenger numbers are restricted and if not booked you risk not getting on. For cars you will certainly not get on in summer and may have a long wait.

When I was bookng Ardrossan to Arran, one or two of the ferries were showing as no bicycle availablity so was pleased I booked and be certain rather than to turn up and possibly having to wait for another ferry.

I think I would get away with it with P&O as freight and cars is really their business and there are only ever a few foot passengers or cyclists but I still feel happier knowing I have it booked.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
On Calmac ferries it varies but the main ferries you certainly have to book

But not via the web I presume?

It is, but you need to be able to read it to find out whether it's any use. I could request papers from the library for £1, but it's annoying to wait 3 weeks then find it's no help. (Essex Library requests had gone up to £7 last time I checked, but it seems they're back down to £1.25 now.)

Are we talking academic papers here, or newspapers?

If it's the former, then access to the abstracts of a given publication / conference proceedings is usually free - although you may need access via a library / academic institution. These at least give you a heads up as to whether something is potentially useful or not.

Newspapers, well that's more pot luck, though searching the British Library database (date / publication / keywords) is also free. You *do* need an account to be able to read the articles, however.

You can but I prefer our local office on the basis that it is much easier for me and “ use it or lose it “.
I also get printed tickets which I also prefer.

We buy Calmac tickets online and just print them out. Sure it is A4 paper but that folds up and is as good as tickets bought at a Calmac office just that we can pre-book and be sure of getting on the ferry we want. Internet is good for that.

More locally I book my train tickets to work online on my phone app. I get an e-ticket but can also send a copy to my printer which is quicker at the station I get off at then on coming home. It has a QR reader and mhy phone takes an age to open up when I want it quickly. It is quick when I am in no rush, but that is just my difficult phone (yes, i anthromorphise it as a cantankerous old man as it is over 4 years old). So the printed copy sits in my pocket so as I am wheeling mhy bike out through the wide gate I can quickly scan it and be one of the first out. The bike section of the train seems to stop right by the exit door.

I think there is too much that is advantageous in the internet to regress to an age without it. If you disagree then what are you doing on here? Bugger off the internet!!!!!:laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We buy Calmac tickets online and just print them out. Sure it is A4 paper but that folds up and is as good as tickets bought at a Calmac office just that we can pre-book and be sure of getting on the ferry we want. Internet is good for that.

More locally I book my train tickets to work online on my phone app. I get an e-ticket but can also send a copy to my printer which is quicker at the station I get off at then on coming home. It has a QR reader and mhy phone takes an age to open up when I want it quickly. It is quick when I am in no rush, but that is just my difficult phone (yes, i anthromorphise it as a cantankerous old man as it is over 4 years old). So the printed copy sits in my pocket so as I am wheeling mhy bike out through the wide gate I can quickly scan it and be one of the first out. The bike section of the train seems to stop right by the exit door.

I think there is too much that is advantageous in the internet to regress to an age without it. If you disagree then what are you doing on here? Bugger off the internet!!!!!:laugh:

I use my local office because it is handy and very helpful and besides it helps to keep somebody in a job.
Sure I use the internet otherwise I would not be here being patronised.:notworthy:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The interet is one of the most profound and wonderful technological changes in my nearly 68 years since I arose from stardust.

I wouldn't want to be without it. I love the interconnectivity, all the knowledge at my fingertips, and the unbridled ease of simply doing 'stuff' that simplifies my life.

Do youngsters spend too much time on it? Probably. But their young world is vastly different to my young world. And people adapt their behaviours to the world they live in.

The only negative I see is the possible redundancy of face to face interactions. One for parents to be aware of and to offer guidance in, or initiate below the radar group activities etc that 'force' real-life interaction.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

A spider types this stuff for me on the web.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use my local office because it is handy and very helpful and besides it helps to keep somebody in a job.
Sure I use the internet otherwise I would not be here being patronised.:notworthy:

As an add on I should mention that the Calmac website did not allow me to book as I have an age related concession plus a blue badge. That has now been corrected apparently but I still use the local office who have all my details on file so I just need to agree sailing times and present payment.

presta

Guru
Are we talking academic papers here, or newspapers?
Academic. I've had a few occasions when the abstract has looked promising, then the full text been disappointing.

Access varies a lot by publisher, the European Society of Cardiology are generous, most of their papers are open, but Elsevier and Taylor & Francis less so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom