A pavement parking odyssey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
'W' is for the West Country, Exeter, Bristol, etc.

Not number plate, the Private Hire License plate, stuck on the bumper, which our wonderful last government opened up to a free for all, you can now get one from John O Groats Council for a private hire taxi plying it's trade in Lands End, they now pick an area with less stringent rules for being a taxi, than the local authority, so it's really improved things, not as with most things the last bunch of buffoons in Westminster setup

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A taxi with Wolverhampton plates, what a surprise.

Although at least whilst its there it's not zigzaging between lanes and cutting people up, slamming it's brakes on for an unannounced u-turn, suddenly pulling up and mounting the pavement, or just being driven like a complete wankstain in general.

I posted the pics on a local Facebook page. Someone's replied saying the taxi driver was in the store, helping someone after they'd fallen. Yeah right, I didn't see anything or hear of such an incident. 🤔 🧐

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can't see the text on the private hire plate, even with the photo enlarged!

Does this make it any easier?🤔

hc=j-VZ3VtBn3oQ7kNvgF09XBo&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Yes you've captured that perfectly, Reg plates, Private Hire Co, and Private Hire Plate with number, just double check if it's local, or a dodgy driver, licensed at an area with less stringent rules, Wolverhampton must be quite lax as you see loads round here
There are numerous taxis with Wolverhampton plates in other local authorities too.
The doctor who carries out my dive medical is based in Liverpool, and he also does medicals as part of the licence approval for taxi drivers. At my last medical I noticed on his desk a small pile of documents with Wolverhampton Council on them and commented about people travelling a long distance for a medical. He said that they were not from Wolverhampton residents, but were more local.
Apparently Local Authorities which were local to the doctor had limited the number of issued taxi licences. So applicants went to an authority which was issuing licences and applied to that authority for a licence. Seemingly the licence doesn't limit your trading activities to the area of issue.
Indeed, since having this conversation I have noticed Wolverhampton taxi plates all over the North West.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Surely the SAS have switched from Embassy to vapes by now. No glow as they inhale to reveal their location, you see.

I screeched to a halt on my last night ride so I could backtrack about 20 yards to have a closer look at what I thought was my first UK glow worm.

Bloody vapes!

• Laugh
Reactions: mjr

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are numerous taxis with Wolverhampton plates in other local authorities too.
The doctor who carries out my dive medical is based in Liverpool, and he also does medicals as part of the licence approval for taxi drivers. At my last medical I noticed on his desk a small pile of documents with Wolverhampton Council on them and commented about people travelling a long distance for a medical. He said that they were not from Wolverhampton residents, but were more local.
Apparently Local Authorities which were local to the doctor had limited the number of issued taxi licences. So applicants went to an authority which was issuing licences and applied to that authority for a licence. Seemingly the licence doesn't limit your trading activities to the area of issue.
Indeed, since having this conversation I have noticed Wolverhampton taxi plates all over the North West.

Leicester too, mainly Uber cars TBH

DRM

Guru

AFAIK It used to be the local council only, that could issue plates for their area, a Private Hire could drop off out of area, such as an airport run for example, or pick up the pre booked passenger after their flight, but couldn't do any work out of area, also the council sets rules for what can be used as a Private Hire Taxi, some were more stringent than others.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
AFAIK It used to be the local council only, that could issue plates for their area, a Private Hire could drop off out of area, such as an airport run for example, or pick up the pre booked passenger after their flight, but couldn't do any work out of area, also the council sets rules for what can be used as a Private Hire Taxi, some were more stringent than others.
That was what I understood, but the Liverpool Dr had several of the forms on his desk.
Coincidentally, driving on the northern section of the M60 this afternoon, I was driving behind a no passenger Wolverhampton private hire taxi. Which was about as far from Manchester Airport as it would possible to be on the Manchester motorways.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Presumably he's psychic which is why he abandoned his vehicle in such an inconvenient spot before dashing in to help.

I asked 6 members of staff this evening if someone 'had a fall' in the store yesterday evening. All said they didn't see anything or hear of any such thing happening, with one telling me that she's a 'first aider' who deals with such as falls and trips. She said she was on yesterday and wasn't asked to tend to such an incident, also telling me that no staff or customer accidents have been logged in the accident book this week. I put this to the one who claimed the taxi driver had to park on the zebra as he had to dash into the store to tend to his 'friend who'd fallen. His reply was 'Unbelievable' with three laughing emojis following the comment. I think it's safe to say I've tripped the idiot up and he's the one who's had a fall, not this imaginary friend of his!! :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom