A pavement parking odyssey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Trucks. I had a work colleague who took exception to a sand lorry regularly parking in his street so he modified the end of his walking stick with a dart tip to give some steel on rubber action.
Never happened again.

Dicing with death doing that, they don't put HGV wheels in cages & inflate from a distance for nothing you know

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Can't park there, then. Not complicated, is it?

Indeed.

I firmly believe we should be like Toyko prefecture, where if you can't prove to the authorities you have off road parking you don't qualify for the permit required to even purchase a car.

Except here people should pay triple the car tax if they don't have anywhere to store their car off the road.

People would soon bleat if I stored a garden shed or spare sofa in the road, yet littering the kerbside and footway with cars and restricting the highway that everyone paid for is somehow seen as normal.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Too narrow

That’s not an excuse to park on a footway. If you can’t park fully on the road without causing such a restriction on it, it means you need to find somewhere else.

Sadly, enforcement is currently too weak in terms of financial penalty and frequency that we’ve lost our footways to lazy sods who prioritise their convenience over everything else.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
A lot of vehicles to move, there's about 100 houses before the next 'main street' (on all 3)

It might sound unsympathetic , because it unashamedly is, but that's their problem.

The public have endured decades of inconvenience and danger as a result of people using the street as a car park and thus making their car storage problems our safety and convenience problem.

The time is long overdue for them to take ownership of and responsibility for their own problem.

If anyone is inconvenienced or endangered by this it should be those that own these vehicles, and not innocent third parties who are simply wanting to walk, cycle or drive along the roads that they've paid towards.

Making people take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions is so blindingly obvious, so hugely sensible, yet somehow stragengely alien.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
My commute yesterday on a cyclepath on Cattle Market Road Bristol. Its not officially closed for the works nor are there any signs.
I did complain to McAlpines (site on right) but they came back with the fact they have a dedicated car park around the corner for their staff who don't park here (the lady from SRM did wander along and placed notes on some cars).

Now, I've just got to find out who it is!. They'll tell me to 'cycle in the road' and my defence would be 'Provide parking for your contractors, this is a cyclepath':cursing:. Plus, the brick paviors are starting to become uneven, sure sign of driving on them.

Any Bristol CC'ers use this route?.

20240917_082137.jpg

My commute yesterday on a cyclepath on Cattle Market Road Bristol. Its not officially closed for the works nor are there any signs.
I did complain to McAlpines (site on right) but they came back with the fact they have a dedicated car park around the corner for their staff who don't park here (the lady from SRM did wander along and placed notes on some cars).

Now, I've just got to find out who it is!. They'll tell me to 'cycle in the road' and my defence would be 'Provide parking for your contractors, this is a cyclepath':cursing:. Plus, the brick paviors are starting to become uneven, sure sign of driving on them.

Any Bristol CC'ers use this route?.

View attachment 745979

You can report that to Plod and the Carncil, apert from the fact they are parked on the pavement the double yellows apply to both sides of the lines.

Top Bottom