205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Steve Abraham
8 mins ·

Steve trying out the ICE trike this afternoon....may be just the ticket with a few modifications.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sounds like a good plan, bash on and an option to re-start in the summer while still bashing on with the first attempt.

Roger the Moneyman has just said in the other place Steve will not start on the trike for a few days because there's some mods being done to it.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
[QUOTE 3626515, member: 9609"]Do you have to give a specific start and end day ? can you not just use any 365 consecutive day period, so as long as you think you can beat last years total for the same day, it will add to your tally ?[/QUOTE]
You have to declare your start day in advance, and pay $300 for the registration. Steve can be doing two concurrent HAMR attempts though it seems.

The rules are here - http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/max-mileage.php

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Yuck, sweaty plaster cast! People will be able to smell him a mile off after a few weeks of cycling.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Good luck to him, but isn't suddenly launching into one-legged cycling for 10+ hours a day going to risk causing all sorts of back problems? (All that effort being concentrated on one side of his body.)
I had thought this too. I had back problems after my leg was in plaster and I was just using crutches to get about and putting weight through my left (good) leg. I have no idea how I would have gone about 1 legged cycling.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fit as a fiddle mountain biking mate Chris snapped a pedal while on a ride.

He still beat his mates home riding one legged.

Told me later he was surprised how fast he could go using only one leg.

Steve's crew reckon he will ride the trike at between 5mph and 10mph.

Once he's used to it, I bet he propels the ruddy thing faster than that.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I had a look online to see how long the Milton Keynes Bowl track was without success. Do any of the locals know how long it is? I have this thought of SA going round a 2 mile track over 100 times a day, which to me sounds like a cause of mental illness to add to a broken ankle.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I had a look online to see how long the Milton Keynes Bowl track was without success. Do any of the locals know how long it is? I have this thought of SA going round a 2 mile track over 100 times a day, which to me sounds like a cause of mental illness to add to a broken ankle.

One km, apparently. Let's see how things develop.

toffee

Guru
It is not the best of circuits, you have to dodge the motor cycle, and moped learners during the day. One km at the most but who cares, if it gets Steve back on the road then that will be great.

Derek

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Still might be more interesting than sitting on a sofa with your leg in plaster for the same amount of time.

So what is this track? I've never heard of it, but if he is sharing with the other people then that may make it less boring and perhaps others can cycle with him at times?

Keeping the plaster dry might be a problem .... Whether you just use a plastic bag or cling film....?

Top Bottom