205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Interview with Steve explaining his new strategy

HERE

Last edited:
Wishing Steve the very best of luck!

The rules don't appear to prohibit you free wheeling down the longest mountain you can find, then getting the follow vehicle to take you back to the top again and repeat!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The rules don't appear to prohibit you free wheeling down the longest mountain you can find, then getting the follow vehicle to take you back to the top again and repeat!
Which is like getting a lift 200 miles to pick up a 200 mile tailwind!

I think the rules should be changed after this so that you have to start from where you finished the day before.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why? What will this achieve? Tommy Godwin himself didn't start from where he left off the day before.
It would be nice for the record to be more about what the rider achieved him/herself rather than how well they planned using the wind or 'artificial' long descents. (Where an artificial descent is one you didn't 'earn' with a corresponding climb.)

Winds can't be conjured up to order, but if somebody actually did their record attempt based (for example) on being repeatedly driven to the top of Mont Ventoux and then pedalling down, it would obviously be more about descending skill than endurance.

I also think it would be good to have a non-drafting rule, but it would be practically impossible to enforce such a rule on open roads.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 3630038, member: 9609"]Has 'The Kurt' blown up ? have the wheels come off his wagon ? three separate rides yesterday totalling a meagre 112 miles... (even I could do that in a whole week)[/QUOTE]
Was an odd day by the looks, his average was down a little too, still blooming quick mind, but down a little from the norm. I expect we'll get a video later showing Kurt trashing his bikes, again!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 3630565, member: 9609"]His video is up and the problem is revealed, it was a bit damp and below 10°C. The Kurt is clearly a sunshine guy, I doub't he would be breaking any records if he had to endure the UK weather.[/QUOTE]
Ahhh so all is revealed, not seen it yet but that sounds about right though, he's such a wuss.

Top Bottom