205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It will be more then a few weeks. (broken bones and plates) and not only that but with the time off the bike Steve's fitness will wane, he would need to build it up again as he had to and did with this challenge. The best bet is to wait until he is completely healed, got his fitness back and get going again starting from scratch. Perhaps in the summer. He will have the added bonus of his experience of the past few months to look back on and also to see where he would need to be in relation to the other competitors. Oh yes, better weather. Rather then 2 winters and a summer, he would benefit from 2 summers and 1 winter.

Oh look. Over on the other place someone's posted something similar.
srw said:
I wouldn't presume to advise Steve and his team, but I'm wondering whether a midsummer start might be more productive. You spend the winter and spring getting match-fit, then start at peak fitness, have the tough times in the middle and finish as things are getting better again.

Of course a new attempt would require continued sponsorship and support, as well as willingness on the part of Steve.

The first priority has to be to let the inury heal - which I suspect means active and expert physiotherapy as well as an understanding surgeon, which in turn means more sponsorship required.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89464.msg1838081#msg1838081
Perhaps that wasn't posted here only because the author doesn't log in to the better forum during work time, and hadn't seen Ian's post here?

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Could he have two record attempts on the go concurrently?

So the existing attempt could still accumulate miles to the end of the year, and then a second attempt starting later in the year?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Could he have two record attempts on the go concurrently?

So the existing attempt could still accumulate miles to the end of the year, and then a second attempt starting later in the year?

I like your thinking, but don't have the rules to hand to answer the question.

Speaking of rules, someone on the other place said Steve could make an attempt simply on his own.

Validation would need to be sorted, which is where the Ultra Marathon Cycling Association comes in handy, but they have no jurisdiction or hold over any cyclist who wants to ride a long way in a year.

So in that respect, I think he could have two attempts on the go at the same time.

I'm not giving up on Steve yet ,I will wait until Steve or his team say the attempt is over as I don't think Steve will want to walk away from this unless it is physically impossible for him to ride his bike .
GO Steve .

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Kurt keeps rolling with a neat and tidy 213 miles.

upload_2015-3-31_8-19-5.png

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If, as looks likely Kurt goes on to break the record in Jan 2016, then Steve will have a nice new target to aim for. I don't think we've seen the end of this challenge yet

I hope that's right, but there's a lot to consider.

Steve cannot ride again without significant support - that should still be in place if this is no more than an interruption.

But mounting a fresh challenge will be some logistical task.

Much impetus will have been lost, and some of those offering practical support may not be able to commit to another year.

Roger the Moneyman is retired and could probably carry on crunching the numbers, but I've no idea how the likes of Hoppo and the other crew members are placed.

Of course, there may be fresh faces willing to come on board.

Donations for a second attempt may be harder to get.

I've donated this time, but not sure if I would do so again because there will inevitably be a feeling of 'been there, done that'.

Some commercial sponsors may feel the same way.

I believe quite the opposite, more people will be behind him now than ever, it's rooted in the British sense of fair play, we get behind the underdog like no other nation I know. Having only met Steve once in spite of having mutual friends, and having ridden with him one month into his challenge, the overriding impression was one of being quietly determined. His team will be completely behind him, those that cannot extend will find/have replacements. I just cannot see anyone abandoning him after what he has gone through. If there is any way we can help we will. So far as his fitness is concerned, shouldn't be a problem, from experience [we have a bit in this area] it takes more than 2 weeks to even begin to lose muscle tone and thereafter it is a very slow process so any exercise will alleviate that. Conversely once he gets going again [we all hope] his performances will return to previous levels within days, daft as it sounds, the injury may even be a blessing in disguise, I have seen it happen before.
Hardest for us lot to be patient I think. Whatever he decides will be the right thing.

I believe quite the opposite, more people will be behind him now than ever, it's rooted in the British sense of fair play, we get behind the underdog like no other nation I know. Having only met Steve once in spite of having mutual friends, and having ridden with him one month into his challenge, the overriding impression was one of being quietly determined. His team will be completely behind him, those that cannot extend will find/have replacements. I just cannot see anyone abandoning him after what he has gone through. If there is any way we can help we will. So far as his fitness is concerned, shouldn't be a problem, from experience [we have a bit in this area] it takes more than 2 weeks to even begin to lose muscle tone and thereafter it is a very slow process so any exercise will alleviate that. Conversely once he gets going again [we all hope] his performances will return to previous levels within days, daft as it sounds, the injury may even be a blessing in disguise, I have seen it happen before.
Hardest for us lot to be patient I think. Whatever he decides will be the right thing.
Good and fair words, extremely well put.

KneesUp

Guru
I hope that's right, but there's a lot to consider.

Steve cannot ride again without significant support - that should still be in place if this is no more than an interruption.

But mounting a fresh challenge will be some logistical task.

Much impetus will have been lost, and some of those offering practical support may not be able to commit to another year.

Roger the Moneyman is retired and could probably carry on crunching the numbers, but I've no idea how the likes of Hoppo and the other crew members are placed.

Of course, there may be fresh faces willing to come on board.

Donations for a second attempt may be harder to get.

I've donated this time, but not sure if I would do so again because there will inevitably be a feeling of 'been there, done that'.

Some commercial sponsors may feel the same way.

As I understood it the basic 'fixed costs' were covered by Steve's own money / sponsorship - I recall reading that he had been stocking up on parts for a while, and then of course Raleigh, Chain Reaction, Schwalbe et al all came on board too, which presumably means that most of the money raised was for living costs, which presumably have not been spent yet. I doubt Raleigh will want the bikes back :smile:

In an ideal world, the insurance will sort this out quickly and cover Steve for the fact that he can't work (I understand that his day-job is a physical warehouse job) plus any other expenses to do with having to stop the attempt, and then when he's fully fit he can roll again.

I hope one (non-fault) accident won't put off the sponsors - if anything I've seen more about it in the press since the accident -and publicity is what they sponsor him for.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As I understood it the basic 'fixed costs' were covered by Steve's own money / sponsorship - I recall reading that he had been stocking up on parts for a while, and then of course Raleigh, Chain Reaction, Schwalbe et al all came on board too, which presumably means that most of the money raised was for living costs, which presumably have not been spent yet. I doubt Raleigh will want the bikes back :smile:

In an ideal world, the insurance will sort this out quickly and cover Steve for the fact that he can't work (I understand that his day-job is a physical warehouse job) plus any other expenses to do with having to stop the attempt, and then when he's fully fit he can roll again.

I hope one (non-fault) accident won't put off the sponsors - if anything I've seen more about it in the press since the accident -and publicity is what they sponsor him for.

I hope it turns out like that, but what I hope for and what happens are often not the same.

There's no danger of sponsors labelling Steve as damaged goods because of the accident, he's already handling it well from that point of view - publishing the pic of him smiling in plaster was an excellent move, PR wise.

It's the general low attention span that concerns me, existing sponsors may feel they've had as much as they are going to get, and no doubt there will be other shiner, newer toys in the awaiting sponsorship box.

There are, of course, lots of possible sponsors, so if a bike maker or component supplier pulls out, there are others who could take their place.

Hopefully (again), the likes of Hoppo will be able to continue, he's a mate and his experience will be invaluable in a second attempt.

Top Bottom