205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It's a good bit of journalism, though.
It was good to see (although that's not really the right phrase) that the write up says that he was "hit by a moped" as opposed to the usual "was in a collision with".

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I hear you @ianrauk . When I first heard about the whole thing I as a bit meh, but my interest increased as I read up a little more about it. I have been surprised by how excited and engrossed in it I have become, particularly when I read that people like yourself (a bloke I've never met) had actually ridden with Steve (another bloke I've never met), it's all a bit weird really. However whilst I feel desperately disappointed and disheartened about the whole thing right now I'm going to try to follow the progress of yet another bloke I haven't met with at least a little bit of interest, although I really have lost that vicarious connection I had :sad:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Watching how they're getting on became part of the backdrop of daily life, didn't it? Like looking out of the window in the morning to see what kind of day it was. I don't know whether I'll get involved in the Kurt endeavour on his own yet. Though it's still an enormous challenge for him, he now has an open road ahead of him and no rival.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Watching how they're getting on became part of the backdrop of daily life, didn't it? Like looking out of the window in the morning to see what kind of day it was. I don't know whether I'll get involved in the Kurt endeavour on his own yet. Though it's still an enormous challenge for him, he now has an open road ahead of him and no rival.
You appear to have forgotten about the Ox!!!!!

Incidently, I'm on target to move ahead of the Ox this week, maybe I should throw my hat into the ring.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I wish Kurt well of course but like others I've lost enthusiasm for the challenge too. I just hope there are plenty of folks there looking after Steve now and in weeks to come as I can't imagine how gutted he must be feeling. Aside from this awful news, his achievement up to yesterday has been remarkable, GWS Steve.

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Agree with all the above posters who have lost much of their enthusiasm for following the day-to-day totals BUT I wonder what Steve and the team are cooking up now ...
  • get ankle plastered, special boot, back on bike :huh:
  • wait till ankle heals, then go even bigger time than previously planned :ohmy:
  • abort this attempt - then do it again next year - with possibly a new target to beat :wahhey:
Either way, it's not over yet, I don't believe ! ^_^^_^

GO STEVE !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can you attached a cleat to plastercast?

I wonder now about Kurt. My thoughts about his effort have always been the same, that he's a phenomenal rider but that he's entered this in an unplanned way. Of course I know very little about the man, these are just impressions but he's not got the support in place that Steve had, the sponsorship or the kit. I've always fancied that this leaves him motivationally vulnerable and now Steve is out, we think, he's lost the carrot he was aiming at. I wonder if that will affect him positively or negatively because I'm sure it will affect him.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wonder now about Kurt. My thoughts about his effort have always been the same, that he's a phenomenal rider but that he's entered this in an unplanned way. Of course I know very little about the man, these are just impressions but he's not got the support in place that Steve had, the sponsorship or the kit. I've always fancied that this leaves him motivationally vulnerable and now Steve is out, we think, he's lost the carrot he was aiming at. I wonder if that will affect him positively or negatively because I'm sure it will affect him.

Not only that.. with the Aussie chap starting the challenge soon. The follower will now become the followed.

albion

Guru
"He’s basically copying what I do, and going one up. I want to see how he reacts when I start to do a few crazy moves.” He was coy, however, when asked to expand on what those moves might be."

Shame we never got to see what that so called crazy move would be. I guess,like me, he had realised that it was a very very unequal race as is.

MichaelO

Guru
Steve will still be the first HAMR record holder on 1 Jan 2016, until Kurt completes his 365 days. Absolutely no consolation though :sad:

Surely he's so far up on Tommy's record at this stage that a few weeks off to heal wouldn't necessarily be fatal to his attempt on the year record?

Top Bottom