205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sugar !,
my thoughts go to him and to the moped operator............
upload_2015-3-29_19-48-15.jpeg

NorvernRob

Unbelievable. Next time, and it would not surprise me in the least if he has another crack, go to the Netherlands. I bet right now he is thinking if there is anyway he could carry on. Given he was not at fault the right thing to do would be to give him time to heal, stop the clock and restart it again when he is ready. I know this is likely to be disallowed but ffs all this effort for nothing just isn't fair. We looked forward to hosting him and riding lots more with him. Damn.

I wonder if there is a chance that Steve could start again in however many weeks it takes to recover, do the 365 day record attempt from that day and still possibly break the 100,000 miles record with the miles he's already done?

If he was going to carry on into next year and attempt that anyway it could just be that those 'extra' miles are already in the bag. The guy is obviously an amazing athlete, he said the other day how strong he was feeling and he'd be starting heading into summer which would mean better weather and big mileages. I'm sure financially he'd be ok as people would really get behind him after this.

That's all assuming his ankle will be ok, which is the first priority!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given he was not at fault the right thing to do would be to give him time to heal, stop the clock and restart it again when he is ready. .

Attractive at first blush, but it would render the record meaningless.

Could I do four 25 mile rides in a month and post in the Century a Month Challenge thread?

I don't think so.

The year's not over yet.

Steve will be like a jump jockey in that he will heal faster than most of us.

Anything could happen to Kurt, hope nothing bad does, but it's most unlikely he will sail through the year, 200 miles + a day, without an interruption or two.

DanZac

Totaly gutted for Steve. Hopefully he will make a full and rapid recovery, regroup, reassess the situation and go from there.
Massive congratulations on the superhuman effort thus far, get well soon.

RedRider

Pulling through
Terrible news, so frustrating for it to 'end' this way.
I wonder if he might think about restarting the record attempt at zero from the day he's able to get back on the bike? He might still use the miles in the bag as a fastest to one hundred thousand miles? Heal well Steven.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Sh*t news. This damn cycling hostile country. Get well soon Steve.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
Sad news.

I do hope some benevolent person will sponsor him so he can get the record next year, tail wind style if need be.
I had already had got the impression he needed to cover an 20% extra effort for UK conditions

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Ok, couldn't be arsed to post this yesterday as I was in a huff. However as this is the HAMR progress thread and Kurt is still progressing and he's soon to be joined by a gentleman from down under I'll carry on posting stuff.
Here he is letting us know what every good cycle commuter should be carrying.

Top Bottom