205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This week's sponsors' newsletter includes insights into what Steve is eating to fuel this world record attempt:

Steve's News
23rd March 2015
Week Ending 22nd March 2015

It’s Monday, time for a summary of Steve’s past week out on the roads in his quest to beat Tommy Godwin’s 75 year old record.

Steve rode 1,399 miles during the week climbing 34,596 feet in total making his total mileage for the year 15,577.1 miles . His biggest day of the week was Monday with 218 and his shortest day was Wednesday with 142. Currently Steve is 2,522.1 miles ahead of Tommy Godwin’s 1939 total but there are still 284 days to go until the end of the year.

Last week saw Steve riding to Burton on Trent, Cambridge, Mildenhall and down to Dorset with three overnight stops kindly hosted by our volunteers. He’s currently riding well within his planned record schedule with his current daily rides typically running from 5.30am to 8.30pm.

As you can imagine Steve requires a LOT of calories to fuel him through a fifteen hour ride. For those interested here is a snapshot of a typical day’s intake:-

Breakfast 1 [5am]: Flapjacks (if home based), Granola or fry up if being hosted

Breakfast 2 [9-10am]: A much bigger meal often taken in an all-you-can eat buffet. Typically two fry ups, croissants, yoghurt and coffee.

Lunch: [after 150-200k]: Usually a hot lunch from a chain outlet such as McDonalds or KFC where food is ready quickly to save time. Other times this may be a sandwich from a garage.

Snacks on the road: Steve is typically eating 400g of chocolate a day whilst riding

Tea: [after 250k]: Either tea, snack and cake from a cafe if cold or flapjacks/energy bars/snacks from saddle bag if warmer

Dinner: [usually after 300k]: at home, anything quick, pasta, pesto and cheese then straight to bed. If at a hosts house this can be a full meal (sometimes with second helpings) or just some snacks depending upon how the day has gone and when Steve last ate.

Jo Wood has produced a very interesting video visualisation of Steve's year to date showing his progress in quick time from the first of January up until mid-March, you can watch it here

https://vimeo.com/122685784

Steve's popped over to Quainton to see the choo-choos this morning - I wonder if he'll pop into the Rothschild's pied-a-terre at Waddesdon, for a double fry up and something nice from the cellar? Thirty-odd miles already...full steam ahead, Steve! :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
This week's sponsors' newsletter includes insights into what Steve is eating to fuel this world record attempt:

Steve's News
23rd March 2015
Week Ending 22nd March 2015

It’s Monday, time for a summary of Steve’s past week out on the roads in his quest to beat Tommy Godwin’s 75 year old record.

Steve rode 1,399 miles during the week climbing 34,596 feet in total making his total mileage for the year 15,577.1 miles . His biggest day of the week was Monday with 218 and his shortest day was Wednesday with 142. Currently Steve is 2,522.1 miles ahead of Tommy Godwin’s 1939 total but there are still 284 days to go until the end of the year.

Last week saw Steve riding to Burton on Trent, Cambridge, Mildenhall and down to Dorset with three overnight stops kindly hosted by our volunteers. He’s currently riding well within his planned record schedule with his current daily rides typically running from 5.30am to 8.30pm.

As you can imagine Steve requires a LOT of calories to fuel him through a fifteen hour ride. For those interested here is a snapshot of a typical day’s intake:-

Breakfast 1 [5am]: Flapjacks (if home based), Granola or fry up if being hosted

Breakfast 2 [9-10am]: A much bigger meal often taken in an all-you-can eat buffet. Typically two fry ups, croissants, yoghurt and coffee.

Lunch: [after 150-200k]: Usually a hot lunch from a chain outlet such as McDonalds or KFC where food is ready quickly to save time. Other times this may be a sandwich from a garage.

Snacks on the road: Steve is typically eating 400g of chocolate a day whilst riding

Tea: [after 250k]: Either tea, snack and cake from a cafe if cold or flapjacks/energy bars/snacks from saddle bag if warmer

Dinner: [usually after 300k]: at home, anything quick, pasta, pesto and cheese then straight to bed. If at a hosts house this can be a full meal (sometimes with second helpings) or just some snacks depending upon how the day has gone and when Steve last ate.

Jo Wood has produced a very interesting video visualisation of Steve's year to date showing his progress in quick time from the first of January up until mid-March, you can watch it here

https://vimeo.com/122685784
Incidentally, you don't have to be a sponsor to subscribe to the newsletter. There's a newsletter subscription link just above ''So you want to ride with Steve?'' on the home page.

We shall be mailing regular newsletter updates on Steve's progress.Subscribe here to receive these.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Day 71 for Kurt and he makes some friends and bangs in a big 235 miler

Things seem to be getting serious now with all of our heroes pushing up the mileage. Steve bags 220 miles, Kurt gets 235 miles and The IronOx
responds with an impressive 4.7miles.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I thought I had, but I'm not getting them. I'll try again.
Spam filter, perhaps? I only subscribed about 6 weeks ago and have had no more than 2.

Kurt sporting a bandage on his left knee, and slathering on the sun block. Steve, greasing up in alternative fashion, no doubt. Interesting, isn't it...to see groups of riders, all sporting tri-bars for those long, uninterrupted pieces of tarmac, speeding into the distance, surrounded by the rolling landscape of a warming America...warming their grits perhaps? :rolleyes:
Grits1.jpg

True grits.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 82: A day of longer rides - Kurt heads through Pensacola for 235 miles of riding back in Florida; Steve pedals some familiar roads between MK and King's Lynn in a 220 mile circuit.

oyttDay82.png

Incidentally, you don't have to be a sponsor to subscribe to the newsletter. There's a newsletter subscription link just above ''So you want to ride with Steve?'' on the home page.

We shall be mailing regular newsletter updates on Steve's progress.Subscribe here to receive these.
It was my understanding that there were 2 mailing lists. To be honest, I'm not entirely which subscription got me the newsletter with the information I shared above!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Steve Abraham
Just now ·

Can you tell which is which yet? Black bike on the right (the clean one) now serviced and the Silver bike left at Stripes. Apart from replacement of corroded bottom bracket, the black bike received a new shimano chain and 2 new chain pins, new brake steel inner wires and new back brakes.....and a good clean. Thank you Stripes. (Lesley)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was my understanding that there were 2 mailing lists. To be honest, I'm not entirely which subscription got me the newsletter with the information I shared above!

There's one mailing list for the newsletter — accessible via the buttons right at the top of all the website pages and via a link in the text on the front page. Your quote was from the latest one, just emailed.

Top Bottom