205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The Ultracycling site isn't showing any mileage yet for Kurt yesterday. I think some more of it might end up being recovered and awarded, even though it was a ''short'' day for him.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Per the tracker Steve has broken 200 miles for the day again and is still going, though he is back in Milton Keynes so I guess he is about done for the day.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Per the tracker Steve has broken 200 miles for the day again and is still going, though he is back in Milton Keynes so I guess he is about done for the day.
213.5 miles. http://www.strava.com/activities/267618740 It looks like Kurt got 68 miles awarded for yesterday. He'll be mightily fed up if it's still raining in Little Rock

EDIT: Knickers! That's yesterday's ride. My apologies. As you were.....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yet another great mileage day...a tad of just under 214 miles.. and a lot more up and downs... superb effort.

upload_2015-3-14_21-29-49.png

upload_2015-3-14_21-30-57.png

GO STEVE!!!

si_c

Guru
It is worrying that Kurt keeps having such mechanical problems. Given that Steve has been riding through much more inclement weather you'd have expected him to have the worse of it. But on the other hand it seems that he's chosen the perfect equipment, touring bike with full mudguards is obviously better than a triathlon bike for this ride. I hope they both do well, but it would be souring for one to be blighted with mechanical trouble and not complete the year.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A tad over 150 miles for Kurt.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Tracking/recording devices shall be tested at least two weeks prior to the start of the attempt to ensure that the Records Chairman will be able to access the data

Am I the only one who sees a problem for Kurt here?
If his tracking devices have failed and they need replacing, according to this rule any new device needs to be tested first at least 2 weeks before it can be used.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
There must be a way round that. If he gets two new trackers now one can be tested /calibrated at a time. If the one he uses first turns out to over /under read it will very quickly be obvious by comparing with known distances on google maps or whatever.

It does appear though as if Kurts having one problem after another with bikes and equipment.Its bound to be playing on his mind .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 73: Steve rides 107 miles into a biting NE wind and then another 107 back home again keeping up his recent March average of over 210 miles per day. Kurt has another shorter day to make way for other domestic business. It looks like we are seeing a shift in the trend of both riders as riding conditions change.

oyttDay73.png

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The graph shows very visibly how a bad day could be a set back for either rider.

How many recoding devices does Steve have?

Tracking/recording devices shall be tested at least two weeks prior to the start of the attempt to ensure that the Records Chairman will be able to access the data

Am I the only one who sees a problem for Kurt here?
If his tracking devices have failed and they need replacing, according to this rule any new device needs to be tested first at least 2 weeks before it can be used.

Taking that literally, it would be inconvenient for Kurt, but it's a rather badly worded rule. What it really means, I'm sure, is something like 'The ability to provide tracking of rides in real time, as well as the recording of rides, plus provision of movement logs, within 24 hours of completion of a ride, shall be tested ... etc' i.e. I don't imagine the UMCA really want to test the devices; they want to know that they can receive and validate data from them in a timely manner, as well as see where the riders are when they're moving. It's the process they're concerned with, not the physical technicalities.

Assuming that's correct, and given that the UMCA have been pretty good on being sensible with various other problematically worded rules (e.g the alcohol one), I'm sure (and hope!) Kurt can just replace hardware and carry on as before, without UMCA intervention to test new kit.

Top Bottom