205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Does this mean he can't claim the mileage for yesterday or will they use the satellite tracking data?
Here we go, rule #7

Advance notice of routes will not be required. Riders will be required to have an active live tracking device in operation for all mileage to be credited for the attempt. In addition, riders will have a trip recording device (such as a Garmin) that will record the route taken, speed, elevation/gradient and at least one of heart rate or power. Riders will be responsible for carrying backup batteries to power whatever device/app we decide upon. The devices used will be subject to the approval of the Records Chairman. Ride data will be posted daily within 24 hours of the completion of the ride. Tracking/recording devices shall be tested at least two weeks prior to the start of the attempt to ensure that the Records Chairman will be able to access the data.

My highlighting.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
But I would have thought that the upload would be automatic, so I'm still thinking theres been a systems failure of some description. He was doing the same type of route as Thursday which was a horrible zig zagging and doubling back and forth affair, maybe the GPS started joining up things that weren't there?

upload_2015-3-14_9-34-40.png

BigAl68

Über Member
Looking at his Facebook from yesterday he certainly seemed to be having issues or trying to do something with the Garmins.
Screenshot_2015-03-14-10-18-27.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
From Facebook, my bold.

Back by popular demand, Steve's updated Strava heatmap. In answer to some queries. Steve is unlikely to ride in Wales or Scotland as he needs to keep his average speed up particularly when the mad mileage days come. But Steve has a few surprises up his sleeve , so keep following to see what he does on his mad mileage days.

Chicken
:sad:

From Facebook, my bold.

Back by popular demand, Steve's updated Strava heatmap. In answer to some queries. Steve is unlikely to ride in Wales or Scotland as he needs to keep his average speed up particularly when the mad mileage days come. But Steve has a few surprises up his sleeve , so keep following to see what he does on his mad mileage days.

Chicken
:sad:
Fish, surely?
In the words of the famous rugby ditty, sung by envious Englishmen in rugby club bars..."Wales, Wales...bloody great fishes are Wales.." :smile:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
From Kurts Facebook

Sorry not to share yesterdays rides - You can tell I did 3 seperated sessions yesterday - The first 2 sessions were in the rain and came to around 43.5 miles. The last session was after it stopped raining and was 57.8 miles - I did at least ride 100 - hope to do better today - the garmin file for 43.5 miles that will not load has been sent to UMCA to see if they can find the problem or use spot to get the miles. Spot might not give me as many miles since the first ride had an out and back component as did the 2nd. Would have rode much more in the evening but the light setup we were trying had problem. - Oh well back on the road today.

BigAl68

Über Member
I just noticed that and was about to post the same. Seems he didn't buy the best equipment. If things are this bad after 2 and half months I wonder how many more issues he will have?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
From what he's saying he didn't get a good days mileage in anyway, but it'll be a double whammy if he can't get UMCA to approve what he's claiming.

Kurt is a very experienced competitor too, so the advent of recurrent failure of his 'measuring' equipment is probably bloody irritating. Still, if he will keep downing his bikes, perhaps he ought to stick to recumbent action...I don't think he's trashed that yet, has he?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo at the other place
Day 72:
Another solid 214 miles for Steve heading back from Hull to MK. More rain for Kurt and then GPS problems prevent some of his ride from being uploaded and to cap it all, problems with his light bracket cut short his evening riding. The impact of "only" a recorded 58 mile day on his progress shows how vulnerable both riders are to even a small interruption.

oyttDay72.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom