205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 59:
A comparative 'rest' day for Steve and Kurt today, with around 160 and 180 miles respectively. Steve endures yet more winter weather, but is helped by joining a peloton of Essex riders. Kurt breaks the 10,000 mile barrier five days after Steve. The two riders are now almost exactly 1,000 miles apart after two months' awheel.

oyttDay59.png

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Im a bit tired now but am I the only one who cant understand that graph?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
A shorter day today, just like the end of January. A nice long nights rest hopefully which may mean a much longer day tomorrow.
So that's 2 months of the challenge done...

View attachment 81066

View attachment 81067

GO STEVE!!!
Bollocky bollocks, that's where I live, teach me not to take note of his rides, he pretty much rode past my house.
How do you find out his planned routes or are they done on the day?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bollocky bollocks, that's where I live, teach me not to take note of his rides, he pretty much rode past my house.
How do you find out his planned routes or are they done on the day?

His routes are not published as they may change on the day. But you can check his schedule on his website to see where he will be staying that night to get a good idea.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
His routes are not published as they may change on the day. But you can check his schedule on his website to see where he will be staying that night to get a good idea.
Cheers! Just compared some of his times on strava to those of mine and my friends and they are not bad considering his huge distances! Amazing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers! Just compared some of his times on strava to those of mine and my friends and they are not bad considering his huge distances! Amazing.

Steve is not concentrating on speed rather then heart rate.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
^That. He'll be ramping up the speed when it gets warmer- he'll have a bit more riding time (he's reckoned he's losing 10 miles a day just from donning/removing the extra clothing) but not enough to do the mileage he plans without digging into his recovery time. He's been taking it easier because of the risk of ice too.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Interesting charty thing HERE showing the riders progress and stats.

Edit: Incredible that despite what they're doing, at their current averages they still wouldn't beat the record.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Interesting charty thing HERE showing the riders progress and stats.

Edit: Incredible that despite what they're doing, at their current averages they still wouldn't beat the record.
I like charty things! Looking at the graph, it looks like KS's biggest day's climbing is lower than SA's average daily climbing (I'd need the underlying spreadsheet figures to be sure). Astonishing that KS can cycle almost 200 miles with only about 200 metres of climbing. I imagine there's a wind price to be paid but that really is very very flat.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I like charty things! Looking at the graph, it looks like KS's biggest day's climbing is lower than SA's average daily climbing (I'd need the underlying spreadsheet figures to be sure). Astonishing that KS can cycle almost 200 miles with only about 200 metres of climbing. I imagine there's a wind price to be paid but that really is very very flat.
It is astonishing isn't it. No blowing of trumpets or taking away from the mans mileage but his Strava for Saturday shows 178 miles with 589ft of climbing my morning commute was 28 miles with 1579ft of climbing, I find it difficult to imagine doing a ride as flat as Kurts :laugh: As for the winds, I would imagine they could be a bit of a bugger, not sure they're quite what we've got at the moment mind, at least they're warm :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What Kurt is doing is using the winds to his advantage. He's driving (winnebago-ing?) to a point where he can get pushed along by the wind. And in the flatlands of Florida I can imagine it's a huge advantage. And fair play to him. Godwin used to do the same thing by using trains.

Top Bottom