205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bikes arn't rocket science and changing a derailer should be a 15 min fix assuming he carries a spares in his giant support truck. Even if he can't do it himself you would think one of his support crew could. I know he broke a steering head yesterday but is no one maintaining his multiple spare bikes when he is not riding them or is everyone too busy out riding on the front taking the wind for him?

He only has his wife as support in the Winnebago and there is no one taking the wind for him.
We don't know the full extent of the damage. For all we know the hanger may be bent etc

would be swearing like someone with Tourette's.

Dérailleur broken on his bike today

yup, that's what I'm talking about

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe a couple of other riders came out to meet him and ride with him for a bit, rather than being permanent crew...

Guessing there is more to it than a snapped mech, otherwise why not borrow the mech from his TT bike until he can get another one. Or put the forks from his road bike on the TT bike and ride that until he can get things sorted. Neither options may be ideal (esp the latter) but it would keep him moving.

The two recumbent riders own a local bike shop who looked after Kurt's recumbent after he crashed it last week if I remember correctly .

It looks to me as if Kurt has little or no support at the moment except his crew chief Alicia Snyder and they are both living out of the motor home and just parking up at trailer parks at the end of the day , it sounds a pretty dismal existence to me and looks like no one is checking over the bikes at the end of the day never mind servicing them , as for the bent/broken rear derailleur and other mechanical issues I imagine bouncing around on the rack at the back of the motor home all day isn't helping much as American road's especially the one's Kurt,s riding on all day can be as bad as UK roads .

Paul

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Riding 200 miles a day cannot be anything other than grim. So maybe Steve does have a couple of advantages like getting home now and then and with roads not being dead straight and flat with no secenery for 20 miles or more all the time gets a little less bored.
Things looking badfor Kurt though if his equipment is failing this early.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Riding 200 miles a day cannot be anything other than grim. So maybe Steve does have a couple of advantages like getting home now and then and with roads not being dead straight and flat with no secenery for 20 miles or more all the time gets a little less bored.
Things looking badfor Kurt though if his equipment is failing this early.

Kurt is used to very long distances and very long days in the saddle. He has done RAAM which is no mean feat in itself amongst many other long distance rides and races.
It's a mistake to write Kurt off so early in the game.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Someone I know well has good connections to a big local cycle club, and he has it on good authority they are looking to approach Steve's team to offer him a hotel for a night and to ride a couple of demo laps at a big crit race in the summer......should be good publicity/sponsorship opportunity.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Someone I know well has good connections to a big local cycle club, and he has it on good authority they are looking to approach Steve's team to offer him a hotel for a night and to ride a couple of demo laps at a big crit race in the summer......should be good publicity/sponsorship opportunity.

There's a hotel in Bournemouth on the calendar for this Saturday.

Generally, hotels aren't much good to Steve because he needs more care and attention - at odd hours - than most hotels provide.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/calendar#year=2015&month=1&day=24&view=month

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A hotel would need to provide another room and allow a helper to service the bike charge batteries etc in there while Steve slept uninterrupted in his own room. Then an early breakfast . Not impossible but more than just booking him a room.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
22.35 I just checked Steve has another 185m day and is back home in Milton Keynes.
Kurt is on 148m heading into Palm Beach Florida!
Oh and dont forget they are forcasting more snow on wednesday.

Top Bottom