205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well now that is interesting, I got a look at his bikes and wheels, this is a pure time trial rig though I cannot say I understand a 80mm front wheel and a shallow rear, and then there is the recumbent, is this allowed? Perfect temperatures, fast flat roads and plenty of traffic to suck you along. Methinks this adds up to two completely different types of records. I am suddenly feeling very patriotic

Yes it is allowed. Only recumbents not allowed are those that are fared. (Velo's)

Edit: He's not actually been using it much as has only just started recumberating... so learning as he goes. I think he's doing about 20 miles a day on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I just noticed that on Steves Web page, there is a comments button.
Tommy Godwins family have been posting most days, congrats, support & a weather report for Tommy's rides back in the day.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A mere 182 miles today.. rest day :thumbsup:

SA.jpg

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well now that is interesting, I got a look at his bikes and wheels, this is a pure time trial rig though I cannot say I understand a 80mm front wheel and a shallow rear, and then there is the recumbent, is this allowed? Perfect temperatures, fast flat roads and plenty of traffic to suck you along. Methinks this adds up to two completely different types of records. I am suddenly feeling very patriotic
It does strike me as a little odd, apparently the rules were drawn up and agreed with the input of the participants but it doesn't seem to be a particularly level playing field, but I suppose if everyone is happy. "Tarzan" is 260 miles ahead of Steve at the same point though, see HERE

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is it me or does he seem a bit vexed in that video?

He does seem to get upset at things...

Given that he's breaking things at rather a high rate, I can see why he might get slightly irritated.

Incidentally, pretty bizarre that he didn't have a spare HR monitoring device. I hope he bought at least one extra when he replaced the broken one yesterday.

I'd be most stressed by the sheer tedium of those roads he's riding: pretty much any road there looks the same as any other road on Google Streetview :-\

I'm just wondering if Kurt really gave himself time to prepare for this. He had dismissed the whole idea until a few months ago when he heard the rules had changed. He had a business to put into order to run while he was away, and equipment to sort out for the challenge itself. I don't think he knew exactly what bikes and kit he would need and then tested it all.

Very unlike Steve's approach: have tried & tested identical duplicates/triplicates of absolutely everything standing by to swap out at moment's notice! It seems that, bar issues with tyres or wheels (I've forgotten the details), that meticulous preparation is serving him very well thus far. Let's just hope his knee settles down!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
More Kurt/Tarzan problems. Dérailleur broken on his bike today. All he has left for the time being is his Recumbent.

KneesUp

Guru
More Kurt/Tarzan problems. Dérailleur broken on his bike today. All he has left for the time being is his Recumbent.
I had a few mates who used to enter mountain bike races where I were a lad. The 'fastest' one never won because he was like a bull in a china shop and was always breaking stuff.

Just saying.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Bikes arn't rocket science and changing a derailer should be a 15 min fix assuming he carries a spares in his giant support truck. Even if he can't do it himself you would think one of his support crew could. I know he broke a steering head yesterday but is no one maintaining his multiple spare bikes when he is not riding them or is everyone too busy out riding on the front taking the wind for him?

Top Bottom