205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
another 190+ miler yesterday. What a machine. And he is already 70 miles in today and heading for Rutland.

SA.jpg

Last edited:
another 190+ miler yesterday. What a machine. And he is already 70 miles in today and heading for Rutland.

View attachment 77806
And why wouldn't you :rolleyes:. More seriously we are trying to keep track of him and are just about to head out, he is on roads we know very well at the moment but still some distance away and as he still has a lot of riding to do I am guessing he might be going round / through Loughborough and thence into the Vale of Belvoir before turning south into Rutland. Pure speculation and as we have visitors tonight I'm not sure we will make an intercept today, however there will be other days, he seems to like heading this way and there is a good chance we will host him at some point in the future.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And why wouldn't you :rolleyes:. More seriously we are trying to keep track of him and are just about to head out, he is on roads we know very well at the moment but still some distance away and as he still has a lot of riding to do I am guessing he might be going round / through Loughborough and thence into the Vale of Belvoir before turning south into Rutland. Pure speculation and as we have visitors tonight I'm not sure we will make an intercept today, however there will be other days, he seems to like heading this way and there is a good chance we will host him at some point in the future.

Steve's passed on thanks to a couple of 'interceptors', so I'm sure you would be welcome to ride along for as long as you like.

I get the impression he has had very little company, but I suppose there will be more when the weather improves.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nice post about a Steve meeting earlier today on the other place:

This morning I intended to do the club run from Leicester across towards Burton but the minor roads on the route to the meeting point were well dodgy. A young lad came off right in front of me and two other club members had already come off too. I took the hint and hatched Plan B.

With the wonders of tracking I headed off in search of TeethGrinder. This involved getting lost in the middle of Hinckley then riding along the A5 and the Fosse. These are two roads that I would normally avoid on the bike but they weren't bad at all and, more importantly, they were ice free. I spotted the red-clad figure of TG somewhere just north of Brinklow and introduced myself. I don't know Steve but he seemed fairly perky. He knew where he was heading for this evening but was a bit vague about the route - just following the beeps on the GPS. We skirted around the southern outskirts of Leicester then headed across the lumpier bits towards Markfield. After 50k I had run out of water, was beginning to get a headache and was about to be dragged further from home so I left him to it.

As others have commented I was surprised at how steadily he goes up hills but also how fast he rolls down them - it was all I could do to keep up. At one point a group of three or four 'racers' blasted past us on a slight incline without even a 'Good Morning'. I felt like I should chase after them, point out who Steve is and tell them to show some respect !

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87763.msg1801620#new

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Looking at his tracker... he's going the long way round. Just south east of Normanton at the moment.

13 rider

Guru
Just looked a Steve tracker and realised he's done some of the route I cycled early e leake to costock I would have riden with him if I could keep up but I was couple of hours early then him I just presumed Milton Keynes to Rutland he would have stayed south of Leicester .will watch the tracker tomorrow to see if he returns the same way

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A good piece in the Telegraph about Steve HERE
And, according to his calendar, Zoe Williams of the Guardian and LCC magazine will be riding with him on Thursday. She appears to be booked in for a 4-hour ride. That's a couple more articles on the way.

Pah! Missed Steve yesterday even though I predicted his route, we had guests last night or we would have made a determined effort to ride with him. Today he was in the fens and has had to make his run for home into the wind, going to be a tough finish. We will ride with him another day for sure.

And not so goof for Kurt/Tarzan. Luckily he wasn't injured. HERE
Well now that is interesting, I got a look at his bikes and wheels, this is a pure time trial rig though I cannot say I understand a 80mm front wheel and a shallow rear, and then there is the recumbent, is this allowed? Perfect temperatures, fast flat roads and plenty of traffic to suck you along. Methinks this adds up to two completely different types of records. I am suddenly feeling very patriotic

Top Bottom