205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Apologies if I am not keeping up very well, I can see from the calendar that Steve is coming to Rutland on Saturday, it would be good to say hello and cheer him on, how do you find out the likely route he will be taking?

You could try contacting one of the support team, maybe the host manager, who might give you an idea of where in Rutland Steve is heading.

Then keep an eye on the tracker on the day, apply your local cycling knowledge, and I'm sure you could engineer a meeting.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/team

Tim Hall

You can't I'm afraid.
He decides the route on the day taking in various factors.
On the other hand, surely Rutland's not that big, so you should find him easily.
(More seriously use one of the "up to the minute where is he now trackers" mentioned in this thread to see where he is and steer to intercept)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
...and look for the flattest bit possible, which (if my memory of Rutland serves) is probably Rutland water. Steve, being superhuman, probably won't sink.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another great mileage total today. 192.4miles Strava

SA.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
...and look for the flattest bit possible, which (if my memory of Rutland serves) is probably Rutland water. Steve, being superhuman, probably won't sink.
I think I remember seeing SA say that many cyclists would be surprised at how slowly he climbed hills. He has an optimum heart beat rate that he keeps to there or thereabouts which slows him down on hills.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Fighting Talk!

Well if anyone was in any doubts about whether he was interested in what Tarzan was doing, I think we now know.

Kurt should be able to respond to an exent in that is a very good 12hr TT rider. I don't think he has anything like the long term staying power that Teethgrinder has though, so I'm going to believe Steve's assessment is pretty much how it will play out.
That's what I was thinking. Tarzan seems to have decided to do this almost at the last minute based on one year of riding 25,000 miles with a reasonable amount of support - and he appears basically to be a drifter who does nothing but ride. If you read his ride reports they're full of incident and excitement, with a lot of making things up as he goes along (http://tarzan-rides.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/colorado-high-country-1200k.html). Steve's 25,000 mile year was combined with a full-time job and no in-person support. His ride reports were essentially "I got up, I rode 600k, I went to bed. It was fun." And he's been pushing for this record for at least 30 of his 40 years. Tarzan first heard about it 3 years ago.

Whatever ride plan Tarzan had to start with, it's gone out of the window. Whereas Steve is just riding long days well within himself - a 95bpm heart rate is what most of us have just standing still - Tarzan seems to be pushing himself a lot in the saddle, and also tiring himself out by taking very long journeys in his motorhome in search of better roads.

I wouldn't be surpriseddd to see Tarzan

You could try contacting one of the support team, maybe the host manager, who might give you an idea of where in Rutland Steve is heading.

Then keep an eye on the tracker on the day, apply your local cycling knowledge, and I'm sure you could engineer a meeting.
Thanks, will give it a shot.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/team

On the other hand, surely Rutland's not that big, so you should find him easily.
(More seriously use one of the "up to the minute where is he now trackers" mentioned in this thread to see where he is and steer to intercept)

Rutland might be the smallest county but there are a multitude of country lanes here, so much so that when the sportive [spit] comes here we can still ride without seeing them. I think it likely he will be coming in on the east side which has fewer hills so both myself and dr_pink will head down in that direction and trust to the smart phones to find him. Will let you know how we get on.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
4,000 miles and still a week of January left. The fella is a machine, his nickname should be The Terminator
I'm glad he doesn't log his miles in MyCyclingLog... :thumbsup:

Top Bottom