205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A very interesting post from Steve about Kurt (Tarzan) at the other place.

Kurt has realised that I am more capable than he thought and has changed his plan.
He is now a lot more dangerous than he was.
What he is doing is watching what I do and adding a bit on. He is copying me and is known for copying his rivals.
However. He currently has weather on his side. I loseabout 10 miles a day getting dressed for cold weather and am losing speed because of risk of ice.
I will launch an attack when things improve like when I rode to Yorkshire and he had no answer to that.
I reckon by late Spring Kurt may run out of options and I hope to be catching him back up by then.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Fighting Talk!

Well if anyone was in any doubts about whether he was interested in what Tarzan was doing, I think we now know.

Kurt should be able to respond to an exent in that is a very good 12hr TT rider. I don't think he has anything like the long term staying power that Teethgrinder has though, so I'm going to believe Steve's assessment is pretty much how it will play out.

A very interesting post from Steve about Kurt (Tarzan) at the other place.

Kurt has realised that I am more capable than he thought and has changed his plan.
He is now a lot more dangerous than he was.
What he is doing is watching what I do and adding a bit on. He is copying me and is known for copying his rivals.
However. He currently has weather on his side. I loseabout 10 miles a day getting dressed for cold weather and am losing speed because of risk of ice.
I will launch an attack when things improve like when I rode to Yorkshire and he had no answer to that.
I reckon by late Spring Kurt may run out of options and I hope to be catching him back up by then.
4085-raw-hulk_hogan-microphone-nwo-the_rock-wwf.jpg

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Whilst you'd want to keep an eye on what the competition was doing, I think you'd need to stick to your plans and ride your own race to have any chance of beating the original record, although obviously you'd need to adjust your plans if it looked like the competition was opening a significant lead.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Has "IronOx" given up? Was his ever a serious attempt at the record?
I was wondering that myself. Unless he is going to suddenly ride 1000km at the weekends I can't envisage much catching up. Then again, what would I know, I fall over after 35 miles.

13 rider

Guru
I sure when I look at steves website last night the running total was over 4000 but now back to 3893 did anybody else notice this. I was surprised he passed 4000 yesterday as I thought he was 200 short so I was wondering if yesterday rides was initially counted twice

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I sure when I look at steves website last night the running total was over 4000 but now back to 3893 did anybody else notice this. I was surprised he passed 4000 yesterday as I thought he was 200 short so I was wondering if yesterday rides was initially counted twice

It was counted twice. His host uploaded 2 of the Garmins instead of one.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Has "IronOx" given up? Was his ever a serious attempt at the record?

In a recent interview, the Ox appeared to be saying he was the tortoise compared to the other two who are both hares.

He also says you never know what could happen to the others, which is true.

Ox might have a point if there was only one other rider, but I think it unlikely both Steve and Tarzan will blow-up catastrophically.

http://www.ultracycling.com/wp_news/?p=494

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
In a recent interview, the Ox appeared to be saying he was the tortoise compared to the other two who are both hares.

He also says you never know what could happen to the others, which is true.

Ox might have a point if there was only one other rider, but I think it unlikely both Steve and Tarzan will blow-up catastrophically.

http://www.ultracycling.com/wp_news/?p=494
Hmmmmmm, time will tell i guess, but he's a long way behind where Tommy was at this point and it's that record he's supposed to be targeting.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Apologies if I am not keeping up very well, I can see from the calendar that Steve is coming to Rutland on Saturday, it would be good to say hello and cheer him on, how do you find out the likely route he will be taking?

You can't I'm afraid.
He decides the route on the day taking in various factors.

Top Bottom