205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Kurt does a lot of his rides on the various trails criss crossing Florida and they tend to be no motor vehicles so I don't think he's drafting his camper van also Alicia his crew chief has mentioned in the past her difficulties finding Kurt on the road .

Paul

From what I can gather from the chatter on the other place, Kurt isn't being drafted by the camper van.

On Steve's front page, under the 'riding with Steve' section it says: "Riders offering a ‘draft’ are also appreciated but Steve has his own pace and it may be that you’d make him work too hard for a long period, whilst you may feel fresh consider the riding Steve has already done. We need to let him travel the roads at his own pace, when he needs drafting, he’ll ask."

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blo...1/can-tarzan-cycle-80000-miles-in-a-year.html

"Kurt figures he’ll burn about 12,000 calories a day, which means he has to eat a lot to maintain his weight."

Can you burn 12,000 at 100bpm ?

I'd be surprised.

https://www.strava.com/activities/190333400

That's one of my longest single day rides. I burned about 5900 calories over 168 miles, with the best part of 5500 ft of climbing. That wasn't on a 'bent, but I still think 12000 cal's is a bit of an overstatement.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I know this isn't Steve, but it's member of Steves crew (Crew Chief no less) so I thoughtyou may be interested. Kurt rode the 12hr version of the Sebring and did a total of 263 miles on that day.

Chris Hopkinson
Very disappointed with my 430.4miles at the Sebring 24hr. I had various problems on the day including a cold, and vision problems. None of them exuse what was a poor performance! I wasn't capable of beating 2 World Class performances of 521miles by Marko Marko Baloh, and 503miles by Scott Luikart, but feel I should have been capable of about 480miles and 3rd or 4th place.
After all my good 24hr performances recently I suppose I was due a bad one, this was definitely it! It was typical coming though when the field was amazing and they all did great rides! Congratulations to Marko in 1st with 521miles and Scott in 2nd with 503miles, also Anders Tesgaard with a great ride of 483miles for 3rd, Damon Taaffe stormed in with 475miles in 4th. Sarah Cooper did an amazing ride of 460miles to win the women's event and get 5th overall, also Erik Newsholme in 6th standard bike with 441miles. I was 7th standard bike with 430miles - just not good enough!!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This thread will be taking a dark turn if it descends into suggestions of ridng a little too closely to the edge of the rules or worse thinly veiled accusations of cheating.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This thread will be taking a dark turn if it descends into suggestions of ridng a little too closely to the edge of the rules or worse thinly veiled accusations of cheating.

Drafting is allowed, so there is no accusation of anything.

Seems to me they are both riding well within the letter - and the spirit - of the rules.

As I mentioned earlier, that may partly be because there is not such a huge benefit to be gained from drafting because of the huge overall mileage and relatively slow speed.

If a rider could follow a double decker bus for 200 miles, all day, every day, for the year, there would be a decent benefit.

But practically, that's not possible.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How long are the passes over the Rockies? Long enough to be worth driving up whilst eating breakfast before bombing back down and repeat?

I believe that has been suggested for both riders.

Someone said Steve could go to the top of a valley in the south of France, get a good run down, and be returned to the top by a vehicle.

I think - as you speculate - the down mileage is not long enough to warrant the time taken for the return journey.

Then there's the logistics, the car/camper could break down or get stuck in traffic.

Also, neither attempt is extravagantly funded.

There's no budget for paid help, which you would need in the shape of at least one driver to make the vehicle plan work.

I also have the impression Steve - and possibly Kurt as well - would reject such an idea as not in the spirit of the attempt.

I believe that has been suggested for both riders.

Someone said Steve could go to the top of a valley in the south of France, get a good run down, and be returned to the top by a vehicle.

I think - as you speculate - the down mileage is not long enough to warrant the time taken for the return journey.

Then there's the logistics, the car/camper could break down or get stuck in traffic.

Also, neither attempt is extravagantly funded.

There's no budget for paid help, which you would need in the shape of at least one driver to make the vehicle plan work.

I also have the impression Steve - and possibly Kurt as well - would reject such an idea as not in the spirit of the attempt.
Ascent data on the GPS would show things a little out of kilter...unless it was left switched on! :smile: Surely no-one would break their spirit of adventure. I imagine Steve riding up, in order to ride down though, and I imagine Kurt riding flat as flat can be, for quantity, not necessarily 'quality'. (Can you see beautiful sunshine out of your window this morning? Isn't it glorious - we want to be outside, riding, enjoying, casting off the cumbersome overgarments just a little...Steve will love it. For Kurt, it's just another day...)

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The UMCA does reserve the right to alter or add to the rules during the event (though not retrospectively).

Tim Hall

I spotted Steve out on the road today. This is what he looked like:
IMGP5866.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP5866.JPG
    IMGP5866.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 30

albion

Guru
This thread will be taking a dark turn if...
We simply have to acknowledge that it has become a funny thing having two widely disparate record attempts.

It would have been nicer having one starting after another has ended but as is we are maybe better off celebrating both British and US records.
Personally I don't like the progress report doing a head to head. Separated Steve progress and Kurt progress threads would be better received by me.

It would also be good to have US guests posting on Kurts progress, He don't ever seem to be going anywhere, unlike Steve.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We simply have to acknowledge that it has become a funny thing having two widely disparate record attempts.

It would have been nicer having one starting after another has ended but as is we are maybe better off celebrating both British and US records.
Personally I don't like the progress report doing a head to head. Separated Steve progress and Kurt progress threads would be better received by me.

It would also be good to have US guests posting on Kurts progress, He don't ever seem to be going anywhere, unlike Steve.
I disagree. The two attempts are being done like chalk and cheese but we're already far away from being able to measure either of their progress against TG. They're simply miles ahead of where he was at this stage of the ordeal. It's simply more relevant to compare the different performances and modes of the 2 serious contenders. Separate threads would be forever cross-referencing these two's performances. So, IMO, best to keep the two of them here.

Top Bottom