205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Isn't she pretty much his total support crew? Very supportive, anyway. Commendable diligence. (I was steering clear of that theme here, but nonetheless I still think Steve's year looks a lot more interesting than Kurt's!)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Is he allowed to have sex (under the rules)? Considering he's not allowed a drink and all.
As long as it's not while on the bike on the route, I can't see why not.

fimm

Veteran
I was thinking that Steve's life for the year will be quite a lonely one - yes I know he has friends supporting and also he's staying with people, some of whom I assume he knows but I think others are just Random People Off The Internet - but it takes a particular kind of personality to be able to do that. (This isn't a critisism, just a thought on one aspect of the challenge that crossed my mind.)

13 rider

Guru
According to strava he climbed Burrough hill today and that would have been after about 90 miles .Anybody who knows the hill knows that some achievement and then to carry on and do another 100 miles is staggering

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A Steve Abraham quote that amused me.

"“I keep seeing these signs everywhere saying, ‘we sell manure and eggs’. I don’t know what it is with these farmhouses: if you ever need shoot and eggs, you know where to come.”

jay clock

Massive member
I am very proud of getting to about 750km this year.. SA has done 11500km so far.....

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
A Steve Abraham quote that amused me.

"“I keep seeing these signs everywhere saying, ‘we sell manure and eggs’. I don’t know what it is with these farmhouses: if you ever need shoot and eggs, you know where to come.”

I know the feeling. On all Audaxes that I have done, I've wondered on the practicalities of stopping and picking up a few eggs.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I know the feeling. On all Audaxes that I have done, I've wondered on the practicalities of stopping and picking up a few eggs.
I've stopped on more than one organised ride - they were supposed to be sportives but, although we had numbers they got put in pockets to prove we were on the ride at the jam buttie stop, it wasn't timed except by ourselves on our phones/watches/bike computers - and bought some plums and shared them with other riders, strawberries too. Never eggs.

Brandane

Legendary Member
its probably been said before but I think they two (?three) modern attempts are actually very different so shouldn't really be classed as the same record... Florida is well known for its hills and bad weather where as the UK is flat as a pancake and mild even in winter...
Perhaps the UCA should have regional records? so the chap in Florida isn't beating the UK record he is setting the first Florida one using the distance set in the UK as a benchmark...
Go Steve though - incredible progress so far.
Similarly, it could be said that NEITHER of the modern record bids can be compared to the original Tommy Godwin record; thanks to modern lighter bikes with wider ranges of gears, better lights, improved clothing, etc..
The fact of the matter is that the record is purely for DISTANCE cycled in a year. It's not in any way related to height climbed, headwinds beaten, days of rain, or miles done in the dark.
If both Kurt and Steve are successful, then Steve will obviously still have the BRITISH record, irrespective of what Kurt does.

Top Bottom