205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
and speaking of negativity ....

I think it's hard to say how well he's doing at the moment, relative to tommy. He's got so much better lights, clothing and - most importantly - information compared to what tommy had, that it could explain the 20%.

I think he will continue the way he has started, but we just don't have enough information to know.

And speaking of being so far off the mark.... In fact so far off the mark, the mark is probably just a dot in the distance. How you take my post to be negative is baffling...

I see that it's easy to say how well he is doing at the moment, he's doing about 20% better than Tommy was at this stage. I understand the challenge is 'highest mileage in 365 days', this is regardless of how good his lights, clothes, bikes are.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I don't see that as particularly negative - more very impressed I'd have thought.
Yes TMN, you are correct. As a guy myself that rides a decent amount of miles per day (not on Steve's level of course) I am very impressed with what Steve is achieving.

swansonj

Guru
Press on for the 100,000 miles in 500 days is my bet.
So, as he finds himself avoiding patches of ice at 10 miles into the day, only another 170 to go, into a headwind, with the temperature still resolutely below zero, and no sign of dawn yet, does he think to himself "I've only got to do this for a bit longer, soon it will start getting warmer and lighter"; or does he think "*** me, in a year's time I've got to go through all this again..."?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Even more utterly in awe of Steve's strength and commitment after yesterday's ride.
I did the Denmead 200km and the first 100km north into a freezing headwind was very nearly enough to finish me.... but Steve went 300km into it.

I see that it's easy to say how well he is doing at the moment, he's doing about 20% better than Tommy was at this stage. I understand the challenge is 'highest mileage in 365 days', this is regardless of how good his lights, clothes, bikes are.
Okay back to my point. My negative Point. I would definitely do at least 20% better mileage in winter with 2015 clothing and LED lights, compared to whatever tommy was wearing or using

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It's
I can't understand why Steve isn't going out to the flatlands of Lincolnshire and Norfolk any ideas anyone?
a bit breezy in the flatlands and there is nowhere to hide from it. The fens (apologies to people who live there) are boring to ride, in the extreme. Just mile after mile of GBBA, tractors all over the shop and numpties who close pass as the road is so straight and dull they feel that they have to do something to liven the journey up - or so a friend who lives in the fens tells me.

Oh, Norfolk is not as flat as you might think. It's more gently rolling.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It's

a bit breezy in the flatlands and there is nowhere to hide from it. The fens (apologies to people who live there) are boring to ride, in the extreme. Just mile after mile of GBBA, tractors all over the shop and numpties who close pass as the road is so straight and dull they feel that they have to do something to liven the journey up - or so a friend who lives in the fens tells me.

Oh, Norfolk is not as flat as you might think. It's more gently rolling.

Can I claim my first TMN?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
TMN? Too much nudity? Tell me now? Too many nightclothes? Not sure what TMN means. Can you elucidate?
TMN. An award given to someone who has posted something but has been ignored, only to find that shortly afterwards someone else posts the very same thing and gets the credit. Named after, ahem, User13710 - TMN, to whom it was happening a lot at the time (January 2013, so it's been around for a while).

There were other forum awards or measures of various things (see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-si-measurements-as-proposed-by-ccers.121263/post-2243923) all named for different forum characters and their foibles, but this one seems to have stuck for some reason.

See also:
:laugh:

Last edited:

goody

Veteran
TMN. An award given to someone who has posted something but has been ignored, only to find that shortly afterwards someone else posts the very same thing and gets the credit. Named after, ahem, me, to whom it was happening a lot at the time (January 2013, so it's been around for a while).

There were other forum awards or measures of various things (see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-si-measurements-as-proposed-by-ccers.121263/post-2243923) all named for different forum characters and their foibles, but this one seems to have stuck for some reason.

:laugh:
Thanks for that I was wondering what it meant as well!
^_^

Top Bottom