205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Here's my take.

There is curently no holder of the UCMA HAMR (Highest Annual Mileage Record), because they've only just set the rules. So which ever rider is first to submit a valid claim will be the first to claim the UCMA HAMR record. Assuming his team's admin is up to scratch, that's likely to be Steve A, because he's got a ten-day head start.

There is currently a sentimental holder in the world's eyes of the record for highest annual mileage, and that's Tommy Godwin. The first person to get to 75,000-odd miles within the course of 365 days will be entitled to claim that (in the eyes of the world) he (or she) beat Tommy Godwin's record and is the new holder of the record for the "one-year time trial".

All of that is backed up by the UCMA rules:
Note: The record by Godwin was never officially certified by any sanctioning body, though Guinness Book of World Records did offer belated recognition of Godwin’s remarkable achievement.

So any rider making an attempt per the rules below can get a record certified at a mileage below that recorded by Godwin, but we all know that Godwin’s mark is the target. The corresponding target for women is the mileage of 29,603.7 miles logged by Billie Dovey in 1938.

The UCMA have ruled out a claimant for their record doing something sneaky, like paying $300 to enter, riding for one day and then submitting a claim, by stating that a year lasts for 365 days. That implies that you can't submit a claim until 365 days from your start date.

For what it's worth, my money is still on Steve A for "both" records. To put things into context, with all the benefit of balmy weather and tailwinds, Tarzan is only one day ahead of Steve after he's done 18. Tarzan's plan, such as it is, involves complex and risky travel manouevres around the monstrously large country that is the USA. He's so far only managed one long day. We know from his experience that Steve is capable of multiple astonishingly long days.

If Steve does finish the year ahead of Tommy but behind Kurt who still has 10 days to go, I think he'd regarded as a pyrrhic victory. To have the title even though there is someone out there who has already cycled more in 355 days.

Well, I guess I'm partial as well. I hope Steve trounces Kurt, so this never arises.

That's the addendum I meant, yes. I was wondering if the standard rules (referred to in the addendum) do specifically stipulate only being able to submit for the record at the end of the event, which would be 365 days in this case. I'm guessing the standard rules are pretty long and complex, so I didn't really fancy going and reading them, hoping someone more knowledgeable might already know (?).
I believe @srw has summarised the position very well. .
I'll just add: no need for specific rules, the clue is in the name.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I believe @srw has summarised the position very well. .
I'll just add: no need for specific rules, the clue is in the name.
Oh, well, I'm outvoted. But, while I'm not going to petition the UMCA for a detailed explanation of the rules, I still see it as an annual mileage record. I.e. miles so far this year, until the year's over. With the emphasis on ''so far this year''. If I state my annual mileage so far this year, any extra miles don't invalidate what I've already done, they just add to the mileage. So, I'll wait and see.

Oh, well, I'm outvoted. But, while I'm not going to petition the UMCA for a detailed explanation of the rules, I still see it as an annual mileage record. I.e. miles so far this year, until the year's over. With the emphasis on ''so far this year''. If I state my annual mileage so far this year, any extra miles don't invalidate what I've already done, they just add to the mileage. So, I'll wait and see.
@deptfordmarmoset, are you seeing "disagreement" where there is none? ;) I don't think anyone has suggested that cycling more miles than is needed to break a record somehow invalidates the miles done up to that point. The point is, no one at UMCA is going to start totting up until the time limit, i.e. 1 year from agreed date, has passed. That's all.

swansonj

Guru
Isn't it kind of obvious that it is possible to argue this one either way (as has been done with plausibility upthread) and therefore, in the absence of an unambiguous definition from the relevant authority (which there clearly isn't), isn't it a touch rash of anybody to claim that their interpretation "must" be correct?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
@deptfordmarmoset, are you seeing "disagreement" where there is none? ;) I don't think anyone has suggested that cycling more miles than is needed to break a record somehow invalidates the miles done up to that point. The point is, no one at UMCA is going to start totting up until the time limit, i.e. 1 year from agreed date, has passed. That's all.
That'll depend on what we're agreeing about. As long as there's no question about the reliability of the data, we'll know who's ahead before the year's out. And, as far as I am concerned, the first person to exceed TG's mileage is the current (unsanctioned) record holder. D'accord?

That'll depend on what we're agreeing about. As long as there's no question about the reliability of the data, we'll know who's ahead before the year's out. And, as far as I am concerned, the first person to exceed TG's mileage is the current (unsanctioned) record holder. D'accord?
Yes! :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
He came down our way again yesterday, probably while we were still asleep.

Top Bottom