2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I’m sure the offending Union Jack could be removed with some T Cut, you can also get CF versions, they are the best solution.

Yup - that might work; assuming it's not etched. Not sure how abasives would play with the anodising however (assuming that's how it's finished)..

Th Condor order finally arrived (a week in the making, however admittedly I was too tight to pay for anything better than the standard free postage).

The new easy wheels have been fitted and it's no surprise that they're far better than the (IMO unfit for purpose) originals:

12x8_IMG_7700a.jpg

The new wheels are larger diameter at just under 60mm v. around 45mm; a shade narrower at 12mm v. 13.5mm and run on proper cartridge bearings as opposed to the nasty rubbery-wheel-running-on-plain-bush setup of the originals. Note the extent of the deformation in the bore of the wheel on the right - not sure what the previous owner did to cause that, but they apparently don't need much provocation to stack it..

The new wheels are now on; fitted with 3x washers separating them from the rear frame as opposed to the 4x supplied / stated in the instructions to position their outside extremity in about the same place as the originals.

Despite the new wheels having around 7-8mm extra on the radius, there doesn't seem to be much more clearance between the ground and mudguard when folded..

I've just been out and while I can provoke the backs of my feet to catch them on the pedal stroke, this just causes them to roll a little rather than get stuck in my shoe like the last ones, since they have a larger face, rotate much more freely and crucially remain upright rather than cambering out at the bottom due to the deformation of the wheel allowing it to sit sloppy on the bush. So that's a result :smile:

I've also put some air into the tyres with the new pump. Slightly shocked to find that I was only running 60/25psi rear/front (if the gauge is to be believed); which has now been poked up to 90/80psi. It still seems to ride OK on the short excursion to the farm shop and in time I'll probably drop the front back to give more even contact patches front and rear based on mass distribution on the bike.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Th Condor order finally arrived (a week in the making, however admittedly I was too tight to pay for anything better than the standard free postage).

Use Brilliant Bikes, free delivery and everything rocks up the next day.

berlinonaut

Veteran
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Use Brilliant Bikes, free delivery and everything rocks up the next day.
Thanks - that was my plan as they have a good rep and I appreciate their videos; however this time that was torpedoed by the need for paint and pump from Condor. Will certainly look towards BB for small stuff in future that would otherwise be under the post-paid limit of other retailers.

The Easy Wheels do have their advantages. But classifying the standard wheels as "unfit for purpose" shows either a lack of knowledge or ignorance. To gain better understanding of the little wheels read this post: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/project-m6l-to-m6r-on-a-budget.282618/page-2#post-6639948
Thanks - you make some interesting points that I'd not considered.. However, I still maintain that they're shite 👍

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

This afternoon, this happened:

12x8_IMG_7704a.jpg

It's 0.35mm thick brass, annealed so it's nice and soft; pre-formed to the rad of the BB shell and fixed with double-hard b*stard 3M tape. I've ballsed it up twice (first time wrong place, 2nd forgot to pre-form it so it wanted to peel at the ends) and can confirm that it's going nowhere as it was reluctant to come off; even with a bit of heat.

While I've probably sunk 2-3hrs into this one operation the parts were free and it's given me a great boost; both in terms of reminding me that I'm not utterly useless as well as affording the peace of mind that the next time I fold the bike after a wet commute I'll not be damaging the finish on the frame. Tbh after only a few days of wet use there was already some scuffing where the wheel makes contact - I can totally appreciate how the finish could wear through in a very short period of time in the absence of any protection - IMO poor show on Bromton's part for not addressing this from new, or at least offering a protection kit as an extra.

I'd like to do similar at the chainstay as that's taking a beating also; although that'll probably be a bit more involved and might be a bridge too far for my meagre brass stock. It seems that all other areas of potential paint damage can be sorted with the transparent protection tape I'm yet to order...

In other news, the chain's gone a bit rusty after last week's damp commute - I'm committed to waxing so might look into a KMC EPT(?) chain like the one I have on the Fuji as that's done a good job of not going rusty so far..

Again, looking forward to tomorrow's commute - although with some trepidation for the week as rain's forcast. I do have some bits sat in my basket on Brompton's website that would address this; but I'm as yet undecided about committing to the whole order.. I guess I'll mull it over for at least one more night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Nice little hack there @wafter and not a Union Hack in sight 🤣

lol - cheers :smile:

Hardly novel or particulary difficult to achieve with basic skills and tools; but immensely satisfying and should do the job well. In time I expect the brass to oxidise so its aesthetic will become more inkeeping with the subdued fillet brazing on the frame. It'll also be interesting to see how much of a beating it takes at the hands of back wheel / grit (with infinite smugness / relief that this isn't happening to the frame!).

If anyone wants to do similar I'm happy to provide dims for the patch and location; the former were really just luck; dictated by what I had available. IIRC it's about 20mm wide and the tyre's nicely separated from the BB shell on either side. Wouldn't want to go much skinnier though. The patch is as close to the brazing as possible at the brace, while the back / bottom is a bit longer than strictly necessary..

The frame remains protected from the tyre at the main tube and brace with PVC tape; which seems perfectly appropriate in these locations :smile:

Hoping to order some frame protection tape for the less harsh areas soon, and will give some more consideration towards what I'm going to do at the chainstay...

Oh; having to pay attention to these areas of the bike serves to highlight just how asymmetric it is - everything seems to be offset from the frame's centreline!

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Living in Wyoming it aint hard to come across cartridge casings which cut and flattened should work well. Be a nice little project in the winter.

Great idea - I suspect you'll want to anneal them before you start (heat them the cherry red and kick them into some water) :smile:

Schwinnsta

Great idea - I suspect you'll want to anneal them before you start (heat them the cherry red and kick them into some water) :smile:

Apologies for going off-topic, but wouldn't this harden it.? Then you would have to heat (bake) it to anneal it. I think this is the process for steel. I think my experience with aluminum matches the way you put it.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Apologies for going off-topic, but wouldn't this harden it.? Then you would have to heat (bake) it to anneal it. I think this is the process for steel. I think my experience with aluminum matches the way you put it.

Brass typically behaves very differently to steel; heat and quench to anneal, work to harden ;)

Conversely as you suggest, to anneal steel you heat it to upper-critical and slow-cool it. Can't remember the physics / mtallurgy of why the two differ in this regard...

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Vanilla Monday update.

The ride to work made me happy (read: less stabby) again this morning. Did criminally little all day in a vacuum of demand, other than pitifully trying to sort out my own, snowballing stuff..

Left work to the gleeful squeaks of the 3D printer as it slowly manifested as reality the adaptor to lash my GPS unit to the Brompton mount that came with the bike. I still need to make rubber spacers and receive fixings, but it's progress.

Dodged the rain on the way home; which again made me happy. Passed a dude coming the other way on Bridge street who was sporting a Brompton Borough large waterproof bag; so I had a good perve at said item as it passed in its native environment, before chasing the guy down and beating him into submission with a raft of questions... which he was evidently happy to answer as we stood by the roundabout by the Kings Arms.

Dude seemed happy with his bag and in context it seemed somewhere between an ideal-off-the-bike size and the bloated oh-noes-too-huge parody my anxiety had suggested it might be. One step closer to an order, methinks.

Riding back through Yarnton I made an effort to look really happy in the face of the po-faced, traffic-static drivers backed up into the village. Upon folding the bike at the car I noticed a bit of damage from the cables when the bike is folded - another area to add to the protection tape list, then.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my beloved brass frame protection plate on the BB might be creeping under action of the wheel - will keep a close eye on this as it'll likely damage the finish if its edge is stuffed into hard contact with it.. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

And how did the brass square hold up?

Post now completed after beer-fingers hit the go-button before I was ready.

In summary, on the fence as I think the adhesive tape might be creeping in shear; pushing the square towards the brazed junction with the brace that runs from the BB to the main frame tube. Will keep a close eye on it - worst case I'll have to make a bigger one that's less resistant to the persuasive forces of the wheel!

Last edited:
Top Bottom