2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If you fit Eazywheels you shouldn’t have to, there will be plenty of clearance. Mine was only destroyed because of collapsed rollers and a missing mudguard roller.

Thanks - I'm hoping that's the case, however the bike isn't always folded on flat ground (and it can be pretty rocky if I'm not paying attention) so I'm not too confident about keeping the replacement rear guard minty..

Hoping to get some protection tape ordered soon; which might be an option for less-severe abrasions...

berlinonaut

Veteran
The Fahrer Latz on the front mudguard is absolutely worth using - it is a couple of cms closer to the ground thus less grit on chain and frame. For protecting the rear mudguard the Milianparts Plablo is a good thing to have: https://www.capproblema.com/milianparts/productos/plablo/
Eerder metal has started offering something almost identical under the name "Blade saver" relatively recently: https://www.eerdermetaal.nl/brompto...uard-and-roller-axle-replacement/p/154045478/

Gunk

Guru
The front mudguard protector is also a neat little idea, they are both perfect for prolonged heavy use.

The eerdermetaal version is also available in black, which will match your mudguards @wafter

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The Fahrer Latz on the front mudguard is absolutely worth using - it is a couple of cms closer to the ground thus less grit on chain and frame. For protecting the rear mudguard the Milianparts Plablo is a good thing to have: https://www.capproblema.com/milianparts/productos/plablo/
Eerder metal has started offering something almost identical under the name "Blade saver" relatively recently: https://www.eerdermetaal.nl/brompto...uard-and-roller-axle-replacement/p/154045478/

The front mudguard protector is also a neat little idea, they are both perfect for prolonged heavy use.

The eerdermetaal version is also available in black, which will match your mudguards @wafter

Thanks both - those look great! Funnily enough they follow pretty much what I was mulling over trying to knock up in bed last night.. although I'd not considered completely integrating the rear roller mount as per the Plablo.

I like both of those - the Plablo appeals as it's stainless so stronger, while also more complete and being self-coloured would show damage less. Seems reasonable at 28 Euro; do we know if they ship to the UK?

By contrast the Eerder is lighter being ally and as @Gunk points out can be had in black for a better match with the mudguard... although of course if this gets damaged it's going to be really obvious. Cheaper at 20-22 Euro, but perhaps not such good value. That said it would raise the roller slightly and allow fitment of aftermarket items..

Definitely something to think about; I very much like the idea of one or the other :smile:

In other news the situation with the phone mount's missing rubber bits rumbles on... Quadlock have washed their hands of it, while Brompton have now finally admitted that they can't supply replacement parts (which IMO is utterly shambolic).

Brompton have, however offered me a 20% discount voucher as a sweetener for the bitter pill of replacing the whole phone mount. On the one hand, bugger spending £30 (after discount) to replace the entire assembly because its suppliers can't provide a few quid's worth of replacement bits.

On the other hand, the voucher seems applicable to "parts and accessories" so I'm very tempted to take the opportunity to buy a lot of the expensive stuff I've been on the fence about - in particular a Borough waterproof bag (£190 > £152), toolkit (£65 > £52), bell (£65 > £52) and maybe their "London" waterproof jacket (£69 > £55). Some of these bits are more expensive directly from Brompton than they are from other places; but not by a lot and I'd still be saving overall with the discount.

Not sure as it's a lot of money and I'm not 100% sold on much of it... however I do especially need a good size waterproof bag and coat, and it seems like a decent opportunity to game a less-than-ideal situation in my favour.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I have the Milan parts silver one on black blades (or something very similar).

Like you. I'd prefer it to be a bit more integrated, but It looks OK and I've basically forgotten it's there.

It's definitely saved my mudguards though - as I cracked a couple through heavy-handedness before fitting. Been fine ever since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

It was the Plablo one - available from SJS:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/milian-plablo-mudguard-reinforcement-bar-for-folding-bike/

It took a bit of fettling to fit. But it sounds like you're prepared to do that.

And I'm sure if I could figure it out, anyone can.
Thanks - was totally unaware that it was available domestically (and once again, hats' off to SJS for the bredth of their stock!). That makes it appear a much more viable proposition than trying to order through a Spanish language website.

Think that definitely tips the balance in favour of this item. I'm generally unconcerned by the fitting faff as I'm happy to chuck the time at it to get it right, and am arguably-less-incompetent at engineering-esq tasks than I am at the rest of life..

Looks like the way to go if I don't choose the dark side and go for a rack :smile:

Meanwhile after three weeks of ownership, in a fit of frame-rub-spot-quantification on the PC it's just dawned on me how easy it is to get the bike up the stairs and into my bedroom :whistle:

Gunk

Guru
Thanks - was totally unaware that it was available domestically (and once again, hats' off to SJS for the bredth of their stock!). That makes it appear a much more viable proposition than trying to order through a Spanish language website.

Think that definitely tips the balance in favour of this item. I'm generally unconcerned by the fitting faff as I'm happy to chuck the time at it to get it right, and am arguably-less-incompetent at engineering-esq tasks than I am at the rest of life..

Looks like the way to go if I don't choose the dark side and go for a rack :smile:

Meanwhile after three weeks of ownership, in a fit of frame-rub-spot-quantification on the PC it's just dawned on me how easy it is to get the bike up the stairs and into my bedroom :whistle:

Have you not ordered the little thingy that goes over the BB

IMG_1663.jpeg

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Have you not ordered the little thingy that goes over the BB

View attachment 697878

Nup - tbh I'm not overly sold on the design - especially the ironic union flag detail considering it's coming from China.. the one you went with would probably be the route I took if going in that direction however.

For now it's going to be more gaffer tape on the BB, then maybe some "proper" frame protection tape or something a bit more robust knocked up at home. I think I'm going to source some no-name tape from ebay as the 3M branded stuff is eye-wateringly expensive over here and probably not what it claims to be on Ali Express.. plus there's the wait (although my last order took about nine days - which isn't a whole lot worse than some stuff I've ordered over here recently..).

Learning foreign languages makes your life richer and easier and often cheaper. :whistle:
View attachment 697890

If only I had the time, motivation and aptitude to learn an entirely new language just for the sake of ordering something off the internet...

berlinonaut

Veteran
If only I had the time, motivation and aptitude to learn an entirely new language just for the sake of ordering something off the internet...
If I would share the same attitude you wouldn't have the problem with ordering from a Spanisch or Dutch website in the first place as you wouldn't know about the Plablo or the Blade Saver. So sorry for creating problems for you by learning learning and using a foreign language... :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
For now it's going to be more gaffer tape on the BB, then maybe some "proper" frame protection tape or something

The problem with any tape is that when folded there is a lot of pressure on the BB. Tape just gets wrinkled and falls off

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The problem with any tape is that when folded there is a lot of pressure on the BB. Tape just gets wrinkled and falls off

Yup - that's been my experience so far with PVC, and then gaffer tape. I get the impression that the "proper" protection tape might be better; especially if applied over a larger area. Considering attempting to knock up some protectors for the BB and chainstay from brass shim.. there are some nice looking stainless items on the Eerdeer Metaal website linked to yesterday; however they're the fat end of £50 and tbh I think normal frame protection tape will be fine in most places.

Gunk

Guru
I’m sure the offending Union Jack could be removed with some T Cut, you can also get CF versions, they are the best solution.

Top Bottom