2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
They're essentially as @ColinJ describes in principle; the idea being to discourage private motorised transport and reduce traffic in some residential areas.

While I'm all for this in theory, in practice as usual their implementation has been abysmal - routing all traffic through one or two now-highly-congested streets (so potentially increasing journey time / pollution / hazards), while doing little to incentivise alternatives as cycling infrastucture's largely a joke and public transport provision is constantly being pared back.

All they're really succeeded in doing is sowing division and conflict throughout communities; with east Oxford being one of the worst affected as the demographic is seemingly 50/50 split between yoghurt-knitting Guardian readers carrying their entire families in cargo bikes, and red-faced boomers outraged at having curtailed their entitlement to drive their chelsea tractor two minutes round the corned through a school playground to buy the Daily Mail.

Most cynically it's been engineered as yet another distraction and sadly may well marr any future consideration of similar (even if better-thought-out) programs in future..

I am by and large; ta! Likewise I enjoy driving but not under the horrible conditions imposed by getting to work entirely in the car.

A few weeks ago it'd got to the point where I was sinking a four-pack every other day, while I've not really felt the need over the past few weeks :smile:

Yesterday's ride home was uneventful if not entirely enjoyable as I was absolutely wrung out and my arse was starting to protest.

After another night of less-than ideal sleep, this morning held a certain amount of trepidation thanks to the sketchy weather forecast, cool air and rain falling from the sky. I was going to wear my faithful Craghoppers lightweight trousers, however remembered that their pocket provision is less than ideal (no zips) and actually it didn't seem too bad in the 3/4 lengths so I went with these again - albeit this time with a baselayer as opposed to the usual shirt.

I think the trouser situation might mean an earlier-than-planned purchase of some more Mountain Warehouse gear; although I'd prefer to give those I've just bought a few months to ensure they're not going to fall to bits..

Kit was otherwise the same; except for the addition of some clear safety glasses to keep the flies at bay in the absence of sunglasses, and my walking waterproof bundled up inside a placcy bag; nearly maxing out the 23L capacity of the basky-bag with all its other contents.

Got up a bit earlier and left the house in good time. Car portion was unremarkable bar a bit more traffic in one spot than usual (a two-changes wait at the lights) and I got to Yarnton in good time. It was spitting as I deployed the bike and for the first part of the ride I was a little chilly, warming up by the time I'd got to Jericho; maybe 3 miles in; by which time the rain had also eased off.

Faster than yesterday at 12.3mph and 61% of max HR - probably due to rain anxiety and the need to warm up a touch. Legs ache a bit as this is the third consecutive day of riding - both muscles (fine - shows I'm doing some work) and knees (less fine - wondering if I've got the saddle a shade high). Reached work 1:06 after leaving the house; a new record :smile:

Potentially not looking forward to the return leg as the forecase is suggesting a 70%-odd chance of rain...

In other news I finally ordered two new mudguards, some easy wheels and touch-up paint - not sure about fitting the rear guard when it arrives however as the current one is taking a hammering thanks to the unever ground where I park the car and tiny, knackered wheels currently fitted - perhaps the bigger ones will help in this regard..

Really enjoying these updates @wafter keep em coming 👍

Kell

Veteran
The edge has been smashed off my clothing smugness however as it's now cold and raining outside; the best my new legware can offer being the ability to dry off quickly in the absence of anything to keep the rain off in the first place.. which I guess is the next hurdle...

I can offer these up as a solution to that at least: RainLegs

Rainlegs-esovedo-2011-NO.jpg

Look a bit odd, but are surprisingly effective.

independent review here.
https://road.cc/content/review/56364-rainlegs-wind-and-waterproof-leg-covers

Gunk

Guru
All they're really succeeded in doing is sowing division and conflict throughout communities; with east Oxford being one of the worst affected as the demographic is seemingly 50/50 split between yoghurt-knitting Guardian readers carrying their entire families in cargo bikes, and red-faced boomers outraged at having curtailed their entitlement to drive their chelsea tractor two minutes round the corned through a school playground to buy the Daily Mail.

A pretty accurate assessment

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Really enjoying these updates @wafter keep em coming 👍
Thanks - surprised the thread's still getting so much interest tbh; given how mundane most of the subject matter is!

I can offer these up as a solution to that at least: RainLegs

View attachment 697458
Look a bit odd, but are surprisingly effective.

independent review here.
https://road.cc/content/review/56364-rainlegs-wind-and-waterproof-leg-covers
Thanks - something that was totally off my radar but I guess makes sense since the water tends to accumulate on the upper surfaces of one's self. Will keep them in mind; although psychologically the the idea of being fully encapsulated by a overtrousers and a jacket potentially appeals more.

I was looking at the MagicParka for this very reason for my all-weather commute, but the expense put me off long enough for covid to cancel out the necessity. https://www.tucanourbano.com/en/pp/jackets-and-gilets-blue-b8906m-109942
Cheers - wasn't aware of those either. Perhaps looks a bit warm for all-year-round use, though? I was assuming a layered approach with a shell and various other garments beneth, depending on the temperature..

I think today will be known as the one reality returned and the honeymoon was over; since it's lashing down outside and the forecast suggest little chance of it abaiting until well beyond pub O'clock :sad:

berlinonaut

Veteran
I was assuming a layered approach with a shell and various other garments beneth, depending on the temperature..
I can confirm from experience that Rainlegs are utterly brilliant, I think I've used mine for more than an decade and they are still standing strong. I've gifted them to a lot of people and all looked confused initially but loved them once they had used them. Part of the usefullness is that they need only very little room - so they are a "just-in-case" thing that you can take with you easily even in the summer as a standard. They do even fit under the Brompton saddle if you like. And they are surprisingly effectfull in avoiding that you get soaking wet.
If heavy rain is a probability on the Brompton I do however prefer a poncho. Quickly on and off, no sweating, not much space needed either. I do use the Carradice ProRoute - it fits easily in on of the small backs on the backside of a Brompton bag and is in my eyes well worth the price (usually available at SJS way below list price).

Clearly way less sophisticated than the Tucano but fits my needs very well. Once more the Brompton proofs to be somewhat different from other bikes.

tinywheels

Über Member
I can confirm from experience that Rainlegs are utterly brilliant, I think I've used mine for more than an decade and they are still standing strong. I've gifted them to a lot of people and all looked confused initially but loved them once they had used them. Part of the usefullness is that they need only very little room - so they are a "just-in-case" thing that you can take with you easily even in the summer as a standard. They do even fit under the Brompton saddle if you like. And they are surprisingly effectfull in avoiding that you get soaking wet.
If heavy rain is a probability on the Brompton I do however prefer a poncho. Quickly on and off, no sweating, not much space needed either. I do use the Carradice ProRoute - it fits easily in on of the small backs on the backside of a Brompton bag and is in my eyes well worth the price (usually available at SJS way below list price).

Clearly way less sophisticated than the Tucano but fits my needs very well. Once more the Brompton proofs to be somewhat different from other bikes.

I rather fancy one of those capes
looks an excellent bit kit.

Gunk

Guru
Thanks - surprised the thread's still getting so much interest tbh; given how mundane most of the subject matter is!

But you bring it to life!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks - seems everyone loves them! Keeping an eye on some used ones on ebay and might give them a try if I can get some cheap :smile:

I've always dismissed ponchos as a bit of a bodge in the absence of "proper" waterproofs; however as with many things in life now I'm actually in a situation to which they might be a solution, their benefits appear more obvious. Will give that some thought too!

But you bring it to life!

Yesterday turned out to be "fun"... spent the day slightly chilly in my base layer, occasional fleece and 3/4 lengths. I'm thinking that the zip-off alternatives are a more versatile default choice for the commute; but I don't regret buying these as they'll do well for hot days and leisure rides on other bikes. Might try to pop into Mountain Warehouse later and buy some of the zip-off variant.

I got tasked with a delivery to a client a mile or two away; which was completed just before the heavens opened. The rain continued unabated until pub O'clock, and I turned down the generous offer of a lift down there / back to the car afterwards as I figured I had to bite the bullet with the rain sooner or later.

Not that I particularly wanted to use it for fear of rucksack abrasion, but I'd brought my nice walking jacket just in case - and was glad I did as everything got pretty wet on the short journey to the pub..

IMG_20230704_182145_1.jpg

After a couple of jars (and getting paid very generously for the bike I fixed for a mate a while ago) the rain had died down a little and I made a move while the weather window looked good / there was still a reasonable amount of natural light.

While it could have been worse, it wasn't fun. The rain was still enough to be unpleaseant / quickly saturate my shorts and I was pretty much running on empty with my legs clearly not used to this much consistant mileage / lack of sleep. I took the most direct route through town to Wolvercote where I joined the tow path to head back to the car.

IMG_20230704_205101_1.jpg

A bit of a breakdown as to how all the kit handled the rain:

As usual my Osprey rucksack gave fine service, its slightly awkward rain cover ensuring that its contents remained dry. The bagsket predictably got largely soaked along with its contents.. but that didn't matter as the stuff inside was either waterproof or bagged up.

My Mountain Equipment jacket fared well (as one would hope given the price) although as above I don't really want to wear it for riding in. Still on the fence a little about its fit, but that's not really relevant here.

I'm somewhat disappointed by the state of the bike by the end of the ride. The whole rear end is now covered in muck from the bottom bracket rearward; including (somewhat counter-intuitively) the top of the mudguard:

IMG_20230705_085627.jpg

I've shamefully abused the flap trying to get it out of the way of the ground during folding and recall being told by another forum member that the absence of the flap can cause muck to be flung up one's back (something my up-until-this-point-immaculate coat can also attest to :sad: ) so hopefully the fitting of a new flap might help in this regard.

It seems that there's no way that the muck could reach the areas of the bike it has under its own momentum; so I suspect that it's being sucked back onto the bike / my back by the low-pressure void I leave in my wake as my not-inconsiderable bulk is forced through the air.

I'd really love something akin to the SKS longboards I have on other full-size bikes; however am mindful that such an approach would be limited by the bike's requirement to fold, as well as access to the rear wheel.

There's also a good dose of filth on the BB; which again strikes me as odd..

IMG_20230705_095227.jpg

While the large front mudflap seems to be doing a great job of preventing crap being flung back from the wheel and hitting the BB directly,
I'm wondering if it's creating a wake that's sucking the muck up onto the bike, or maybe this is again the result of the vacuum behind me...

I'm tempted to try one of these lower-profile Fahrar mudflaps; pity they don't do one for the back too..

57434.jpg

Either way it won't stand as it is, since repeatedly smashing the tyre into all that grime every time the bike's folded is going to ruin the finish on the BB. I've cleaned it up for now and removed the gaffer tape as that evidently wasn't up to the job. I'll look to source some proper tape soon; was looking at "3M" stuff on Ali Express however fap knows whether this is genuine or not and I'm tempted to just buy some non-branded stuff from ebay for similar money for the sake of expediency.

In other news, when the bike goes in the back of the car it's laid flat; and I've been doing so on the handlebar side; which seems like a good idea from a contamination / damage perspective since the backs of the bars evidently don't get caked in shite.. so there's less chance of muck here damaging anything as everything vibrates during the car journey.

Once I'd got the bike home I also noticed that the seatpost was very gritty when operated near the end of its extension; so that was stripped and cleaned to avoid it getting scratched (any more). Not sure how the mud's finding its way into that assembly; but it's doubtless something else to look into.

I adjusted the saddle at the same time as it has a habit of tipping back during use a certain amount before settling; so this time it was set with a bit of a forward slope to account for this.

I think that's all on last night's efforts; this morning's were thankfully less problematic. Having got to sleep fairly quickly last night as I was utterly shattered, I still woke up an hour earlier than necessary. At least this meant an early departure and I was out of the house by half seven - albeit in a foul mood.

Mindset was further degraded by a few dickheads on the road whilst in the car then a bit of chill in the air and more rain once on the bike. However, as the journey progressed the sun started to break through the clouds and my mood mellowed in the face of the largely decent folk on the tow path (all but the stupid woman with a pram who seemed unconcerned for either my welfare or that of the small dog she made zero effort to prevent blocking the tow path in front of me...)..

IMG_20230705_080418.jpg

IMG_20230705_080826.jpg

I reached the city early and stopped in the covered market for some meat products for breakfast from the excellent butchers therein - highly recommend their fantastic cooked sausages :smile:

It was then onward to the park for a bit of a stretch on the equipment before finally arriving at work in good time..

IMG_20230705_084536.jpg

The rain continues sporadically outside but the weather's forecast to be reasonable later in the day, so fingers' crossed for the journey home..

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I have one of those Fahrer front mudguard extenders.

Can't decide if it's actually any better or not - having not had the opportunity to test side-by-side.

I prefer the look, but when it's properly coming down, my feet still get wet. But then they did with the old one too.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I have one of those Fahrer front mudguard extenders.

Can't decide if it's actually any better or not - having not had the opportunity to test side-by-side.

I prefer the look, but when it's properly coming down, my feet still get wet. But then they did with the old one too.

Thanks - I think that's probably the case with any mudguards. The Longboards on a couple of my bikes are generally fantastic; however everything has its limits and these aren't perfect.

Might be tempted to give the Fahrer a go in / when I next place an order with SJS :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I just had a rummage through my box of bits to see if I had a spare rear mudflap for you @wafter unfortunately I must have chucked it away with the old mudguard. If you’re replacing the rear blade it comes with the flap.
Thanks - that's very thoughtful :smile:

Not to worry; as you say I'll get a new one with the replacement guard.. still need to find a way of protecting it before fitting, however..

Gunk

Guru
Thanks - that's very thoughtful :smile:

Not to worry; as you say I'll get a new one with the replacement guard.. still need to find a way of protecting it before fitting, however..

If you fit Eazywheels you shouldn’t have to, there will be plenty of clearance. Mine was only destroyed because of collapsed rollers and a missing mudguard roller.

Top Bottom